Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I'm not too big on computers and updating things on them, so here goes. Can someone please tell me what I should look for in graphics cards? Can any of them fit and work with any PC?

There's just so many out there and in stores that I just don't know if they're all universal or ... what? Sorry for my ignorance. :(

This is my current PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147258

Runs my games well although not in high/max settings. So I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card to something that will hold me well for a few years.

What would you recommend and also would this one work (also is it good?)

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-HD567XZNF3/dp/B0034JLTNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315960960&sr=8-1

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
What to look for in a graphic card? depends on your needs.
Can any fit and work with any pc? no.

In your case though your current card is PCIe16 slot and the HD 5670 card your looking at is the same so that would work. The card your looking at would be quite an upgrade compared to what you currently have in your system and you should see a pretty major increase in performance. Still should not expect to be running maximum settings for latest games though.

This can show you a pretty decent example of the difference between your current and what your looking at.

http://www.hwcompare.com/141/radeon-hd-4350-vs-radeon-hd-5670/

The one concern however is that page did not list what kind of power supply your computer is running. The official recommended for the HD 5670 is a 400watt power supply or more.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
What to look for in a graphic card? depends on your needs.
Can any fit and work with any pc? no.

In your case though your current card is PCIe16 slot and the HD 5670 card your looking at is the same so that would work. The card your looking at would be quite an upgrade compared to what you currently have in your system and you should see a pretty major increase in performance. Still should not expect to be running maximum settings for latest games though.

This can show you a pretty decent example of the difference between your current and what your looking at.

http://www.hwcompare.com/141/radeon-hd-4350-vs-radeon-hd-5670/

The one concern however is that page did not list what kind of power supply your computer is running. The official recommended for the HD 5670 is a 400watt power supply or more.
Just so you have a second opinion, I was goingn to recommend the same thing. If your power supply is lacking, I would suggest replacing it, they aren't that expensive anyways.

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys. :)

Any recommendations on graphics cards or any other upgrades? I'm starting to get more into PC gaming than console gaming and would love to give my PC a bit of an overhaul. :)

(I'm a pretty quick learner. :))

Edit: Found out my Power Supply is 300W :(

So I'd need to upgrade that too... Erm... Yeah. Easy right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. :)

Any recommendations on graphics cards or any other upgrades? I'm starting to get more into PC gaming than console gaming and would love to give my PC a bit of an overhaul. :)

(I'm a pretty quick learner. :))

Edit: Found out my Power Supply is 300W :(

So I'd need to upgrade that too... Erm... Yeah. Easy right?
Really all depends on how much you want to spend, how many slots you have for cards but mainly how much you're willing to spend.

If I were you and had the money and slots i would buy two cards. Which two i would have to look into. If you only have the one slot, i would recommend the nvidia gtx 570.

If your Power supply is only 300 watt and you wanted to get a better graphics card, you would need to upgrade both. Also when choosing a new card, you need to make sure that the card will fit into your motherboard as in have a slot. Also, if the graphics card it self will be able to fit in your PC case.

For power supply I would recommend at least something over 650 watts, particularly a corsair one.

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually someone mentioned to me that the power supply of the one I just recently posted might be too low (in amps). I honestly only looked at the watts as the card said it required at least 450w and I saw this had 600w, so I thought it would work...

But I ran into this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Says it does 520w but also lists it running 40amps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually someone mentioned to me that the power supply of the one I just recently posted might be too low (in amps). I honestly only looked at the watts as the card said it required at least 450w and I saw this had 600w, so I thought it would work...

But I ran into this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Says it does 520w but also lists it running 40amps.
Basically both Power supplies you listed will work with that card.

Seeing as how they're both the same price, its just a matter of opinion which one you would want, if I were you, I would get the Seasonic. It is the better of the two Power supplies.

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If your getting a new graphics card you should get one that can run battlefield 3 on max settings.
That's exactly what I'm going for. :)

With the Radeon 6850 I believe I might be able to achieve high settings. I don't want/need really high resolutions to be honest. Right now I run my games at 1280 x 768. So if I can run it at that resolution with the settings cranked up I'll be happy. :)

I'm sure the Radeon 6850 can handle it. Then again I am a newbie to all of this lol :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
If your getting a new graphics card you should get one that can run battlefield 3 on max settings.
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Battlefield 3 System Requirements for the PC. ^

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just hoping the Radeon 6850 can run it on High/Max settings. I know it says it's the recommended card, but for all I know they're just listing a card that can run it "decently" with medium settings...

I've already pre-ordered the game and I'm hoping to upgrade my PC before it arrives.

Here's what I'm going with:

Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

(Changed to a different power supply.)

Now assuming all of this fits into my PC, all's I would have to do is disconnect the old and reconnect the new right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm just hoping the Radeon 6850 can run it on High/Max settings. I know it says it's the recommended card, but for all I know they're just listing a card that can run it "decently" with medium settings...

I've already pre-ordered the game and I'm hoping to upgrade my PC before it arrives.

Here's what I'm going with:

Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

(Changed to a different power supply.)

Now assuming all of this fits into my PC, all's I would have to do is disconnect the old and reconnect the new right?
Yes.

Pretty much just pay attention as you disconnect the old psu. I'd recommend a GTX480/HD6950 or better.
Basically summed up quite well here ^^^. Just make sure you remember where all the cables connect to etc. I also recommend getting a better card.

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes.

Basically summed up quite well here ^^^. Just make sure you remember where all the cables connect to etc. I also recommend getting a better card.
What would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions and won't buy anything until maybe October just to get the best opinions/suggestions from people. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
What would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions and won't buy anything until maybe October just to get the best opinions/suggestions from people. :)
Really all depends on how much money you want to spend. As Green20 mentioned,

I'd recommend a GTX480/HD6950 or better.
"GTX480/HD6950 or better" is definitely the way to go. You definitely also want to get a card that will allow you to play games in the future as well.

If I were you and had the money and slots i would buy two cards. Which two i would have to look into. If you only have the one slot, i would recommend the nvidia gtx 570.
Its definitely worth spending that little bit extra and being happy at the end of it, rather than buying a cheaper card and realizing it isnt capable of performing the way you want it to.

·
The Next Big Thing
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OOoh... around $190... I might not have enough for that :p

Hmmm... is there s specific model that would work for me that you can link to? This way I keep it in mind when I finally purchase. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
OOoh... around $190... I might not have enough for that :p

Hmmm... is there s specific model that would work for me that you can link to? This way I keep it in mind when I finally purchase. :)
GTX 570

GTX 480

HD 6950

Whether you choose Nvidia or ATI wont really make the world of difference. Its more of less just an opinion. You can look around on the net if you want, you will find numerous debates with no real winner, as each card can be better in different areas. If I was choosing a new graphics card, I would choose a Nvidia over ATI.

As for brands, it really doesnt matter, the more well known the brand, the more the card will cost. Depends on what you are able to spend. In the end they do the same thing, with minimal changes.

When you finally come to a conclusion, just make sure the card will fit in your case, by measuring of course.

And just to clarify, the Power supply you listed....

will be able to run any of those 3 cards above. (GTX 570///GTX 480///HD 6950)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts