Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shocking the Shockmaster
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually give credit to the WWE, especially since they hit the PG Era, but i've started to have a good think about one of the smarter business decisions the company has made especially over the last 12-18 months.

And that is the fact that they are finally pushing younger talent! This got me thinking especially after seeing Eric Bischoff's comments about the WWE's "youth movement". I think this was one of the things the WWE was lacking from about 06-08. In large part this has obviously happened due to NXT starting, but it was a genius idea, but we are starting to see less off the guys that have been around for yonkers.

I know what people will say that the WWE will push younger talent no matter what, but im talking about successfull pushing stars, especially when a few of them were given no chance, especially on these forums.

Here is probably a list of the young talents, i think the WWE has pushed successfully in recent times:
- Cody Rhodes
- Evan Bourne
- Jack Swagger
- Sheamus
- Daniel Bryan - Exclude his indie past
- Ted Dibiase
- The Uso's
- The Hart Dynasty
- Dolph Ziggler (I know he's been around a while, but gimmick wise)
- The Nexus members - Not easy pushing 7 guys at once.

Everybody in agreement with this? Please keep the talent coming if i've missed any.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't usually give credit to the WWE, especially since they hit the PG Era, but i've started to have a good think about one of the smarter business decisions the company has made especially over the last 12-18 months.

And that is the fact that they are finally pushing younger talent! This got me thinking especially after seeing Eric Bischoff's comments about the WWE's "youth movement". I think this was one of the things the WWE was lacking from about 06-08. In large part this has obviously happened due to NXT starting, but it was a genius idea, but we are starting to see less off the guys that have been around for yonkers.

I know what people will say that the WWE will push younger talent no matter what, but im talking about successfull pushing stars, especially when a few of them were given no chance, especially on these forums.

Here is probably a list of the young talents, i think the WWE has pushed successfully in recent times:
- Cody Rhodes
- Evan Bourne
- Jack Swagger
- Sheamus
- Daniel Bryan - Exclude his indie past
- Ted Dibiase
- The Uso's
- The Hart Dynasty
- Dolph Ziggler (I know he's been around a while, but gimmick wise)
- The Nexus members - Not easy pushing 7 guys at once.

Everybody in agreement with this? Please keep the talent coming if i've missed any.
You forgot the obvious one, The Miz. Hell, Randy Orton, CM Punk, and John Cena are still relatively young as well, they will still be around for a long time. Kofi Kingston is over as hell too, Drew McIntyre has been getting big reactions and Alberto Del Rio got decent heat in his debut. The Gatecrashers also seems to be getting a push in tag-team division as of late, but i guess they aren't that over yet. Shad Gaspard, Ezekiel Jackson and Luke Gallows could become future big men, though i don't like Shad. John Morrison seems to be in limbo at the moment, but wwe obviously still has faith in him, maybe in next few months he will actualy go somewhere.

There are also young guys who are treated as jobbers (Dudebusters, Yoshi Tatsu, Primo, JTG, Zack Ryder, Joey Mercury, Chris Masters), which is a shame since some of them are actually entertaining, but i guess they have to pay their due first.

They've got several young talented wrestlers in developmental too (Tyler Black, Xavier Woods, Johnny Curtis, etc)

And also, they've got several NXT Season 2 rookies who've got tons of potential (Percy Watson, Husky Harris, Alex Riley, Kaval, Joe Hennig).

Yeah, gotta give wwe props for actually pushing youth movement, it's quite refreshing to see.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
I was also going to mention The Miz. But I absolutely agree with you. WWE is finally realizing that Shawn (already gone), Undertaker, Triple H, Jericho, and Edge aren't going to be around forever. And because of that, they know that they need to establish some new star power on the roster. Remembering back to ECW when they started the "new superstar initiative", I thought it was a joke. I was like, "since when does WWE care about the kids?" Well, I guess they do. And thank Jesus lol.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I definitely appreciate the WWE for trying to push young talent. I'm just not a huge fan of some of the guys they're pushing like Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, and most of the guys from Nexus.

It's funny you mention the WWE's unwillingness to push younger guys for about 2 years. IMO, I don't think the young guys they're pushing are ready.

I don't think Sheamus is ready (or should I say good enough), and I definitely think the guys from Nexus aren't ready.

The guys fans were saying the WWE should be pushing a while back were ready.

I like the guys the WWE have have acquired from the Indy's and abroad like Daniel Bryan, Kaval, and Alberto Del Rio.

Those guys coming in at this time period remind me a lot of when Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, Angle, and Mysterio arrived in the company. Those were guys that knew how to work. Those wore the guys who went around the world perfecting their craft for years before they got to the WWE. Even years before they got to WCW and ECW.

I think these guys would be better for the company in the long run. I think the company can count on them to be their workhorses because they've been doing it a long time.

The guys the WWE are pushing now remind me of the guys the WWE were pushing before all those great in-ring workers got there. They were OK. Good young talent, but they couldn't hold a candle to the guys who already knew what the hell they're doing.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I agree as well, but they're at the point now where they have no choice. They either push young talent or go the route of TNA. Other than Cena and Orton, who do they have thats not at or near 40?

HHH - 41
Undertaker - 45
Edge - 36
Jericho - 39
Kane - 43
Mysterio - 35

Also, Eric Bischoff criticizing the WWE youth movement just proves once again that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. If he had it his way, Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Sting would be main eventing the TNA PPV's every month. I left flair off of that list because at least he's putting over younger talent like the veterans are supposed to be doing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would argue with The Uso's and even Swagger to an extent. He has fallen HARD since he lost the title and that was pretty sad. Otherwise I agree with you.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I agree with the OP's list, but I wouldn't say they've pushed the Uso's correctly, they're already involved in a stupid comedy angle and have been used to job for weeks (the week Orton did them both over was just a p1ss take)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I agree with the OP's list, but I wouldn't say they've pushed the Uso's correctly, they're already involved in a stupid comedy angle and have been used to job for weeks (the week Orton did them both over was just a p1ss take)
Yeah, but they can always be reverted to the Tag Title Picture.

I think they had a shot at the belts WAY to fast.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Those guys coming in at this time period remind me a lot of when Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, Angle, and Mysterio arrived in the company. Those were guys that knew how to work. Those wore the guys who went around the world perfecting their craft for years before they got to the WWE. Even years before they got to WCW and ECW.
Angle had never worked a pro wrestling match in his life before joining the WWF.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
HHH - 41
Undertaker - 45
Edge - 36
Jericho - 39
Kane - 43
Mysterio - 35
Ric Flair put on an awesome match with Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania and he was what, 58?

I wouldn't put it past some of these guys to just keep in trucking. Maybe not Mysterio or Taker because of their injuries but HHH is a company man and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jericho work another five+ years.

Plus there are guys who could jump between IC/World Title levels and be convincing regardless. Guys like Punk and Big Show, Sheamus is cementing himself, The Miz is knocking at the door etc.

WWE aren't in any trouble tbh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts