Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who were some talented guys that got stuck with a shitty gimmick?

I'll start with 2 Cold Scorpio as Flash Funk. That shit was fucking fpalm x100. I guess he was doomed from the start back then though because WWE just didn't have high flyers.

Another one was "The Red Rooster" for Terry Taylor.

Rikishi was another one. Dude could have been a massive main event threat, but he was nothing more than a joke. I remember when they tried to turn him heel. fpalm

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another one I just remembered while watching some WWF 1996 Raw is Barry Windham as "The Stalker" also Barry Windham in The New Blackjacks..

·
Registered
813 Posts
This conversation begins and ends with Goldust.
...what? His gimmick got him instant heat when he debuted, and over time, people have grown to love it. He's used it to be incredibly creepy, very dark, a popular face, and for comedy. It's been very versatile for him, fairly successful (few guys have had such lengthy careers with WWE), and very often over. You may not personally like the gimmick, but it's definitely not "terrible."
--
When I think of wrestlers stuck in awful gimmicks, Mike Awesome's run in WCW comes to mind. The guy had just torn apart ECW, putting on great brawling matches during his title run, even some WCW guys in his debut and then they stick him with 1) the "I love fat women" gimmick, and then 2) the "That 70's Guy" gimmick. His first real mass exposure and that's what they give him. Practically killed his career.

Santino comes to mind too, but in a different way. I don't think his gimmick is inherently terrible (his Italian stereotypes, Honk-a-meter, and other gags have been funny now and then), but the fact that it has completely limited his in ring work is kind of sad. The guy's a decent wrestler and clearly a charisma magnet, so having him stuck with a gimmick that has him dressing up as a women and occasionally pinning guys with a poke to the face is pretty brutal.

(Oh, and DEFINITELY agree with the OP mentioning 2 Cold Scorpio. Such an awesome ECW run and then... splat.)

·
Is a Becky Lynch Guy
2,098 Posts
Diamond Dallas Page during his run with the WWF/E

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
John Cena, actually.

I know the gimmick works and is insanely successful, but as a grown man, I mean.....geez. I love the guy as a talent but it gets hard to watch sometimes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree that it was an awful gimmick, but do we know for sure that he was a good wrestler? His gimmick kind of precluded that in WWE. I'm not ruling it out, I just have never seen Nick Dinsmore put on a great match.

Diamond Dallas Page during his run with the WWF/E
Definitely, although this one is a little sad because his motivational speaker gimmick was based on his actual life.

saturn in wwe, wearin dresses and shit, made him a complete joke.
The dress stuff started in WCW, and man was that awful. Saturn never really had a "gimmick" other than generic, bald tough guy, but sticking him in a dress and having him talk to inanimate objects really hurt him a lot.

2 Cold Scorpio... Mike Awesome... Perry Saturn... I'm sensing a trend here.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Sean O'Haire - the devil's advocate. it wasn't that bad a gimmick he just didn't need it at all

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mention Owen Hart's "Blue Blazer" gimmick.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I agree that it was an awful gimmick, but do we know for sure that he was a good wrestler? His gimmick kind of precluded that in WWE. I'm not ruling it out, I just have never seen Nick Dinsmore put on a great match.
Have you watched much of his OVW stuff? It's been a while since I have, but the guy can undoubtedly work. There are still people around who, not unreasonably IMO, will still argue that he could have been a special technical talent if he wasn't given the special gimmick.

This has given me the urge to seek out some of his old indy work, just to see that I haven't deluded myself over the years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
oddly i agree wit pyro. cena could wrestle back when he was on smackdown and proved it again vs hbk on raw
another is vito.... good wrestler but they made him wear a dress.
jamie noble comes to mind also but he was really just nerfed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Santino Marella in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts