Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
None but ourselves
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the recent talk of Samoa Joe's career options now that he's left TNA, it's got me thinking about wrestlers whose lacklustre names belied their talent, charisma, or general kickassery.

My two to start it off:

Super Crazy - The Insane Luchador whose tagline was better than his name. Back before I'd actually watched ECW, I used to laugh the smug laugh of an ignorant fuck who really shouldn't judge a book by its name (or cover, although judging it by the synopsis on the rear sleeve is acceptable)

Dolph Ziggler - Obvious inclusion here. Let's hope his first name's Rudolph and not the other dolph. Apparently this is a nod to mid/late 90s cult comedy 'Boogy Nights'...I was too young to watch it at the time because I was 13, Ziggler debuted when I was 23. AND HIS REAL NAME IS NICK NEMETH! That's one of the most badass names I've ever heard for chrissakes.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
You mention Super Crazy reminds me of Psiciosis. Dude was a very good wrestler just tagged by a generic gimmick and horrible name. I like the name Dolph Ziggler though it's unique.

I don't like the name Hideo Itami. I like Itami but not Hideo. Hideo is an ugly name. They should've called him Kenta Itami. Oh man that sounds so badass. Like something out of Naruto.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
Explain to me how it's a good name. What makes it good is the man himself. The actual name is silly. Sounds like a B-level earthen superhero.
It's a great name because it is simple, catchy and iconic.

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
Decent wrestler bad name - Jack Swagger. If you're going to have a name like Swagger you need a certain type of character to pull it off, a cocky asshole. An oversized underachieving freak with a speech impediment isn't that type.

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
Explain to me how it's a good name. What makes it good is the man himself. The actual name is silly. Sounds like a B-level earthen superhero.
I don't think you can really judge it in isolation. Superman and Batman sound like shit names for superheros on their own merit, but the man makes the name unless it's something really retarded like Dolph Ziggler.

Reactions: Chris JeriG.O.A.T

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
It's only iconic because of the man himself. Remove him from the equation. I'm talking about the name itself, not him.
Can you imagine if The Rock was just known as simply Dwayne? I think The Rock name put him over the top and that is the mark of a great name.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
The fucking Miz

Such a shit name
Oh yeah awful name and awful wrestler. Miz does have his share of talents but wrestling isn't one of them. He is good at pissing people off and being an annoying douchebag.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts