Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It wouldn't have been believable to lose to them guys.
That's why the storytelling matters within the match. Balor and Styles would have brought out a better quality match than Reigns. But this year they should have kept it at Taker V Cena, that would have gotten everyone invested.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Undertaker lose to midget and 40 year of man?
Taker is homegrown talent and he should get retired by homegrown talent. Maybe they should made Taker vs Big Show since they both retired at the same night. That was a bad idea.
How exactly is Taker a homegrown talent? He was in WCCW, USWA and WCW long before he came to the WWE.

I can see the point of saying that Roman is a homegrown talent though.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Good Lord, the comments on this thread.

How exactly is Roman a guy that needed to be built?

He has been in the WWE for 7 years.
He won the Royal Rumble.
Set elimination records for Royal Rumble and Survivor Series.
Already a multiple time world champion.
Already a tag team champion.
Already a United States Champion.
Multiple Slammy award winner.

Someone like Styles or even Rusev (with the right character and booking) would have been better choices.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's why the storytelling matters within the match. Balor and Styles would have brought out a better quality match than Reigns. But this year they should have kept it at Taker V Cena, that would have gotten everyone invested.
It's not about who can fake fight the best or 5 star matches. It's about building a star. I am not taking anything away from Styles but again it's another IWC double standard when it comes to their favorites because Styles and Balor aren't new stars and shouldn't have beaten to Undertaker either.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
I agree that Cena vs Taker would have gone much better for Taker's last match, but I get why Vince thinks it should have gone to the younger Reigns.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good Lord, the comments on this thread.

How exactly is Roman a guy that needed to be built?

He has been in the WWE for 7 years.
He won the Royal Rumble.
Set elimination records for Royal Rumble and Survivor Series.
Already a multiple time world champion.
Already a tag team champion.
Already a United States Champion.
Multiple Slammy award winner.

Someone like Styles or even Rusev (with the right character and booking) would have been better choices.
How so Styles? When he isn't a new wrestler other then being an IWC darling and your personal preference. Wow what a good choice a guy who is not a homegrown talent that is near 40 years old beating a WWE legend wow such great logic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How exactly is Taker a homegrown talent? He was in WCCW, USWA and WCW long before he came to the WWE.

I can see the point of saying that Roman is a homegrown talent though.
He call WWE home so he really want to get retired by someone from the company. He want Randy to retired him but he refused.

·
Registered
338 Posts
5'11 looking like my next door neighbor shouldn't be beating a 6'9 larger than life legend.
he hasn't, and he when he does, so what?

anything can happen in life, dudes have survived bullets to the head, size means nothing either, i'm from St. Pete florida where gangs are everywhere, i legit watched some chick beat the hell out of a dude twice her size

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
he hasn't, and he when he does, so what?

anything can happen in life, dudes have survived bullets to the head, size means nothing either, i'm from St. Pete florida where gangs are everywhere, i legit watched some chick beat the hell out of a dude twice her size
Blah Blah dude we talking about wrestling stick to the conversation tough guy.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It's not about who can fake fight the best or 5 star matches. It's about building a star. I am not taking anything away from Styles but again it's another IWC double standard when it comes to their favorites because Styles and Balor aren't new stars and shouldn't have beaten to Undertaker either.
Reigns winning didn't make him look like a star, but it did give him more notoriety. Reigns is the right guy to take over from Cena, but the backlash that he is getting is in no way good for him. This is why he has to go full on heel now and just brave out the negative responses. Styles and Balor would have looked ten times the star if they faced Taker. You can't deny that Taker and Balor's entrance back to back wouldn't get people talking or notice Balor. And you can't deny that Styles wouldn't pull out a great match from Taker because he will. You don't need to beat a guy to look like a star dumbass. Austin lost to Hart, he became a bigger star. Bryan lost to Sheamus and became a bigger star. Hardy took a beating from Taker once he looked like a star because he was able to stand. It all about the storytelling execution. Just because Reigns is a bigger guy doesn't mean he is more credible in beating the Taker. Remember this is wrestling, it's not the UFC. The origin of wrestling came from amateur wrestling, but it's lost its roots over the years. The original premise is who is the better wrestler that can get a pin fall over the other guy.

As I said Cena should have faced Taker over Reigns.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
To those who claim WWE stuck in the past is wrong. Undertaker passing the torch to Roman Reigns is how you built a new star.
Maybe if you're completely ignorant to everything around you.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
To those who claim WWE stuck in the past is wrong. Undertaker passing the torch to Roman Reigns is how you built a new star.
Reigns has been made since YEARS. He's not benefiting from beating Undertaker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
People seem to think that there was some sort of way to easily make a new guy a top guy, but that's really not the case. It's a combination of the skill of the wrestler involved, the booking that they are given, and the environment and atmosphere surrounding their push.

They want Reigns to replace Cena because they've build the whole WWE brand around Cena for years and for that model to continue they need someone else to take on that same role. They've picked Roman, most likely due to a combination of a strong look and presence, along with how over he was while in the Shield (and his mic skills weren't exposed).

Now, I think Cena has gotten a bit of a bad rap over the years in that people say that he's not talented and never was that talented to begin with. On the contrary, Cena is is really good in-ring, and can even put on great matches when paired with the right opponent and he is really good on the mic, despite not having the best material over the years. However, I would be a liar if I said that his long run at the top didn't damage the company as a whole going forward. The visceral enmity that he drew up among fans was bound to rub off on whoever came after, and if they weren't a better Cena than Cena, they were going to have an even rougher run than he had.

To get a less divisive top guy, WWE probably would've had to go through a period of flux where there was no definite "face of the company" for a few years, before picking a wrestler who could fill the role after memories of "Super-Cena" had faded a bit.

What's worse is that Roman is clearly a very different guy from Cena in how he is best presented. WWE is slowly pushing more this way, still giving him the Cena push while having him act less Cena-like. The damage has already been done, however, and I doubt that Roman will achieve the kind of success that they want by continuing down this path, which is a shame.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts