Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Payback PPV is supposed to follow shortly after Summerslam next month so given that WWE may as well make Cena surpass the Nature Boy's 16 Title reigns why wouldn't they use this method by having John Boy win at Summerslam then dropping it straight back to Roman at Payback it won't hurt Roman in the long run if he gets the last laugh and sends him packing off back to Hollywood anyway.

Or you can just go with Big E cashing in immediately after the match at Payback to get a solid feel good moment on top of all that, Gives Roman an opportunity to be vulnerable for Character development until he takes the Title back again and resume his dominance.

·
Premium Member
26,096 Posts
So Reigns loses it to Cena, wins it back a week or two later and then gets cashed in immediately by Big E and loses the title?

I don't see how that would be a good move honestly. First you devalue Cena's record breaking title win, such a win deserves a solid title run to follow it up otherwise it would be "they just gave Cena the win to break the record" sort of like what they are doing with Charlotte to increase her title wins.

Secondly, you end Reigns' amazing run for someone who doesn't really benefits from it as opposed to using it to make a new star. You also undermine Reigns' character by proving Cena right about him (per his promo on RAW) which is not the direction to go with this feud.

Nah, Cena is losing at SummerSlam as he should and we already know that his booked dates end at SummerSlam. Could Big E end up cashing in after the match to win the title? Maybe, but I doubt they go that route and have Big E cash in on Lashley/Goldberg instead.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Biggest tribal chief aknowledger here and also biggest Cena hater.

I got no problem with this as long as it leads to a good, competitive feud that ends with Reigns getting the title again in the long term.

A guy like Cena is needed as champion to elevate the starpower of the main event scene, even if he is trash.

·
The Babyface of WF
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Reigns loses it to Cena, wins it back a week or two later and then gets cashed in immediately by Big E and loses the title?

I don't see how that would be a good move honestly. First you devalue Cena's record breaking title win, such a win deserves a solid title run to follow it up otherwise it would be "they just gave Cena the win to break the record" sort of like what they are doing with Charlotte to increase her title wins.

Secondly, you end Reigns' amazing run for someone who doesn't really benefits from it as opposed to using it to make a new star. You also undermine Reigns' character by proving Cena right about him (per his promo on RAW) which is not the direction to go with this feud.

Nah, Cena is losing at SummerSlam as he should and we already know that his booked dates end at SummerSlam. Could Big E end up cashing in after the match to win the title? Maybe, but I doubt they go that route and have Big E cash in on Lashley/Goldberg instead.
Good point I would try to avoid the record statistics myself but Vince wouldn't mind it obviously against our will just on that logic alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m cool with it, as I’m sure Roman would win it back in a return not so far down the line. Crazy that this would be the breaking of Flair’s record. Figured that would happen in some sort of Orton/Cena match where both go in with 16 reigns.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I actually think Cena will win here. Simply to set up a future rubber match and create a range of 17 time world champion merchandise.

Plus Vince is completely crazy thesedays. Don't rule out a situation where JC holds the title for months without defending it, like Brock did in 2017. Plus in means the universal champ is all over Hollywood due to The Suicide Squad.

·
Registered
28,046 Posts
Payback PPV is supposed to follow shortly after Summerslam next month so given that WWE may as well make Cena surpass the Nature Boy's 16 Title reigns why wouldn't they use this method by having John Boy win at Summerslam then dropping it straight back to Roman at Payback it won't hurt Roman in the long run if he gets the last laugh and sends him packing off back to Hollywood anyway.

Or you can just go with Big E cashing in immediately after the match at Payback to get a solid feel good moment on top of all that, Gives Roman an opportunity to be vulnerable for Character development until he takes the Title back again and resume his dominance.
Where have you heard there is going to be a Payback PPV? I know they did it last year a week after Summerslam but I haven't heard any talk of that this year.

From everything I've seen it seems like Cena is going to be done after Summerslam and then go film his new movie. So I don't see there being much of a chance a tall that he beats Roman.

·
The Babyface of WF
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where have you heard there is going to be a Payback PPV? I know they did it last year a week after Summerslam but I haven't heard any talk of that this year.

From everything I've seen it seems like Cena is going to be done after Summerslam and then go film his new movie. So I don't see there being much of a chance a tall that he beats Roman.
I just looked up the PPV schedule for 2021 CBSsports or something to find out what the September show actually was.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I would not be a fan of that outcome. John Cena is a part timer and has no business going over Ric Flairs record. When he won it a few years back it was a short and pointless reign as well. It would be no different than that, but at least he was able to match Ric Flair's record. No need to go over it though. Maybe have Cena beat his ass good to have Big E cash in. But I think the cash in can wait as well.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
But why ruin a long reign? Wouldn't the WWE want him to hold the title for 434+ days or whatever CM Punks record was? Besides, John Cena doesn't need it and no one would like or hate him any more/less for being a 17-time champion than he already is for being a 16-time champion. The haters, myself included have already long been sick of and nauseated by him anyway.

He shouldn't even have returned to begin with. I'd have elevated some other babyface in the last year, or brought CM Punk back.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Fuck that fruity pebble mutha fucka. He's leaving to film some stupid movie right after SummerSlam anyway

·
Ho!
18,260 Posts
If Cena wins the title from Reigns, fine. He's far from my first choice to do it, but Reigns' run needs to end. However if they're going to have Reigns lose the belt just to win it back a few weeks later... why? Reigns losing the belt should lead to some evolution of his character, and he should also show he can thrive without the belt (plus he won't need it for a bit). I could understand Reigns winning the belt back after a few months, like say around Rumble time. But a month later? Also Cena then would have a short 17th reign which... I dunno I feel like his 17th reign shouldn't be a month long.

Either Cena wins and holds it for a few months, Reigns does his thing away from the belt and then wins it back, or Cena wins the belt and drops it to whoever they want to give a big rub to, or just don't have Cena win the belt. I'd rather Reigns just keep the belt until Mania, than lose it for a few weeks just to win it back right away.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What about big e mid match cash in on reigns and then Cena vs reigns rematch?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
What about big e mid match cash in on reigns and then Cena vs reigns rematch?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Granted it's been a long while since I watched... but does Big E have even a semblance of the credibility to make this work?

Don't get me wrong I actually think a cash in is the best road to take, give the win to someone that can benefit from it. Cena/Reigns is not the "passing the torch" moment people are making it out to be, nor is it "Icon vs Icon" like WWe are making it out to be, but Big E Nolongerlangston? I don't know.

·
Angry at refs
5,189 Posts
They just need to move on already. The Roman experiment clearly hasn't worked since he's flopped as both a face and a heel, it's time to try someone new.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts