Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-- As a few of you know, I'm new to wrestling. I used to be one of those people who thought wrestling was ridiculous... until I actually watched it and now of course I am totally in love. I managed to get tickets for this Sunday's Smackdown in Chicago, but since I've never gone to a wrestling show before, I was wondering what to expect. I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, but does anyone know if this is a house show, or is it going to be on TV? Also, I know that this is going to be a steel cage match with Kane, Edge and Big Show, but can anyone tell me how I can find out about the rest of the card?

Thanks everyone-- and have a very Merry Christmas!

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
If it's on Sunday, it's a house show

·
The Man Comes Around
8,496 Posts
House show are not televised, so the wrestlers are more free to piss off the fans... it's cool but don't expect too much cause House show is about test reactions of the fans for future programs.

But i think CM Punk is scheduled to main event so the crowd should be hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
House show are not televised, so the wrestlers are more free to piss off the fans... it's cool but don't expect too much cause House show is about test reactions of the fans for future programs.

But i think CM Punk is scheduled to main event so the crowd should be hot.

Thanks-- I am still looking forward to it. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The rest of the card will be a surprise. Since it's a house show I don't think there will be a stage, just a walkway that goes from black curtains surrounded by a steel frame and some lights all the way to the ring. At a live show you will begin to appreciate some of the things you might get sick of on TV, like a stare down between strong wrestlers (it gets a good reaction from the live crowd).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rest of the card will be a surprise. Since it's a house show I don't think there will be a stage, just a walkway that goes from black curtains surrounded by a steel frame and some lights all the way to the ring. At a live show you will begin to appreciate some of the things you might get sick of on TV, like a stare down between strong wrestlers (it gets a good reaction from the live crowd).
I will be disappointed that there won't be a stage-- I do love to be dazzled (I can be like a 4 year old sometimes lol). But I've always enjoyed being part of a live crowd.

Thanks for all the great info-- I will definitely let you guys know how the show goes.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's gonna be one of the most fun live events you'll go to. I went to my first show in 5 years a month ago and I forgot how fun the damn things are.

Get ready for a lot of cheap heat though. Some of it is dumb. Like Ziggler literally said, "Who's ever heard of Las Vegas?".

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
You'll have a great time. The Chicago crowd is always hot. Also, keep in mind that since house shows aren't televised, and there is minimal mic time/promo time or commercials you are going to get some pretty good matches, even from the lower card guys. Every match gets a decent amount of time. The faces usually end up going over to send the crowd home happy, unless a championship is on the line and the heel is the champ.

·
Banned
177 Posts
i aint goin i dont live in chicago

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have to say my niece and I went home happy although I am upset that I have a POS camera, so very few of my pics turned out...

That was the most fun I've had in a long time! Had great seats-- 5 rows from the ring. They started out with Teddy Long, who announced that since it is Christmas, we ought to get into the Christmas spirit by starting things off with a Battle Royale. Ezekiel Jackson has to be the scariest dude I have ever seen. I am not sure he comes from Planet Earth, but I like him. He really played to the crowd well. Then we were off to the one-on-one matches. This is all just off the top of my head, so I may be forgetting a few.

Drew McIntyre vs. JTG: I don't think the crowd really knew who JTG is because you could have heard crickets chirping when he came out. Drew got some big heel heat, and he really seemed to enjoy it. I was surprised at the crowd's reaction to him, because everyone on this board seems to think he's not all that-- but Chicago really loves to hate him. Winner: Drew McIntyre.

Jack Swagger vs. Chris Masters: Tiny children were shrieking SWAGGER SUCKS, and it just warmed the cockles of my heart. Chris Masters reminds me of that guy from the old "Hercules" movies-- Steve Reeves, especially with that beard coming in so nicely. He has frightening pecs, but he's very good with the crowd. Winner: Chris Masters.

Cody Rhodes vs. Chavo Guerrero: Cody Rhodes drew massive heel heat, and proceeded to insult everyone in the Allstate Arena by proclaiming himself the best looking person in the room. He then proceeded to piss off Chicago's entire Latino community by announcing that he can't stand Mexicans. I thought I was going to die laughing. Enter Chavo, who decided to fight for Mexican Pride. Winner: Chavo, of course.

Natalya & Beth Phoenix vs. Layla & some chick I have never seen before: I like Natalya-- she knows how to work the crowd, and Beth Phoenix is sort of becoming the white, female version of Ezekiel Jackson because of her terrifying biceps. I admit I was sort of surprised Layla was with another partner-- I guess Taker needed some company over Christmas, so Michelle McCool was unavailable. But the match went well, and although I usually use the Divas matches as "potty break time" when they are on TV, this match was very entertaining. Winner: Natalya & Beth Phoenix, with help from the execrable Hornswoggle.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio: This was the match I paid good money to see. I make no bones about it: I love Alberto Del Rio. I can say that because I am a chick and it is not shameful for me to say it. But of course Rey Rey had to make his entrance first, and I thought the roof was going to cave in when Mr. 619 made his nine-hour trek down the aisle to the ring. My niece, bless her heart, was shrieking "YOU STINK, MYSTERIO!" and I could have wept with pride. Yes, we like the bad boys in my family. As soon as Del Rio's music came up, I was in heaven. Nothing gives me HAPPY like Alberto Del Rio... and as he did his posing in the ring and then took the mic for some "let's piss off the Latino community a little more" chit chat. It was beautiful. Then Big Show showed up and basically began to abuse Del Rio for no good reason. At some point in the match, Del Rio got mad, stormed out of the ring... and was immediately stopped when Teddy Long returned and announced a tag team match...

Alberto Del Rio & CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio & Big Show: The HAPPY turned to JOY when CM Punk showed up. Of course we knew who was going to win all along-- it's always Rey Rey and Big Show. But for a few moments, I was in heaven as ADR and Punk sort of worked together to try to topple the behemoth that is Big Show. I say "sort of" because at one point, Punk went to tag Del Rio in, and ADR stepped aside so the tag could not be made. He is so bad! Have I mentioned that I love, love LOVE Alberto Del Rio? It's almost impossible to believe, but he is even better looking in person. Okay, now onto the bad but totally expected news: Rey Rey and Big Show won.

Edge vs. Kane: There was a 15 minute break while a bunch of workers put the steel cage together. It was actually kind of cool to watch, but I have to say I was terrified for the wrestlers who were going to have to fight in that thing-- it didn't look very sturdy ata all. Kane came out to sort of a mix of heat and love. My niece was rooting for him the whole way, which shocked me, since I'm an Edge freak. Anyway, there was a spear or two, Edge did his "meth freakout" thing with his hair, and all in all it was a good match. Winner: Edge. But then Kane proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

All in all it was a lot of fun. I would definitely do it again, although I think I want to go to a taping, and then maybe a pay per view-- those have to be mind-boggling.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, one other match I forgot to list: Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler. I like both of these guys, but I had to cheer for Kofi. He just seems like such a nice guy, and he gets so dramatic when he is just within reach of the ropes. If Dolph's hair gets any blonder I may need sunglasses, though. Winner: Kofi Kingston.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Glad to hear McIntyre is doing well for himself. That heat would stay consistent if WWE would just keep him involved in storylines -- the storyline with Teddy Long proved it.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Rhodes and McIntyre drawing massive heel heat is very good to hear, i know Drew is capable of doing much better than what is being shown on tv, the creatives just need to exploit his "Chosen One" character more, that's why i'd hate to see Drew getting full-fledged face turn, he has so much potential as a heel that has yet to be realized.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Masters and Chavo going over? What universe is this?
Well, Chavo was going for the cheap love because he was defending Mexican Pride. Masters just looked COOL and he actually worked the crowd pretty well.

Plus, it is Chicago... and everyone pretty much had to dig out of 8 inches of snow to get to the arena so we were just screaming because we were glad we survived the drive to the arena and all the wrestlers showed up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rhodes and McIntyre drawing massive heel heat is very good to hear, i know Drew is capable of doing much better than what is being shown on tv, the creatives just need to exploit his "Chosen One" character more, that's why i'd hate to see Drew getting full-fledged face turn, he has so much potential as a heel that has yet to be realized.
It was very fun to watch them-- like I said, I was surprised they drew so much heat because everyone here seems to think they are dead in the water-- but they really got some massive heat. They were a lot of fun. And I agree with you-- Creative needs to get a lot more creative with these guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts