Wrestling Forum banner

GIMMICKS that would make perfect sense but will probably never happen

3304 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  SilverX
You see guys in the 90's like The Godfather, Val Venis, Big Bossman, etc. Their characters couldn't carry them to the main event, but made them interesting in the mid card scene for a number of years. I figure that aside from the Undertaker that gimmicks don't work with guys approaching the main event scene, but every upper card wrestler has to have some sort of character. Even a guy like John Morrison has enough going for him, because he has an interesting look (doesn't have to be a big imposing guy), he's unique and talented in the ring, and can always be counted on for hitting at least one good spot. You take a bland, and generic guy like Cody Rhodes and transform him first into "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, a narcissistic character, who cared more about his looks then actual even winning. During his short feud with Rey he is begining to evolve into an even more egotistical jerk then before, and definitely looks like a main eventer in the very near future.

My point is that all most guys need is a character, and just something to talk about.

Repackage the following:

Michael McGillicutty as Joe Hennig, "The perfect son". It just makes too much sense. He doesn't have the looks, muscular build, or in ring ability of his father. Aside from that one truly horrible NXT promo, I really don't think he's that bad on the mic. Give him a new look, new theme music, and DEFINITELY change the name. This isn't copying his father's gimmick like they attempted with Dibiase (which failed miserably), but it makes sense to build off Curt's Mr.Perfect character. He could start as more of a mid carder/jobber, before begins to develop into a more serious, and legitimate contender like Cody Rhodes.

Alex Riley with his jock FWC character. Half of RVD's character was his unique look, and I don't see why the WWE wants to make anyone who's not a main eventer look like a jobber. Give him the varsity jacket back, and make him into an obnoxious, and annoying prep. He could be sort of a high school bully, who backs down from guys bigger then him, but bullies smaller wrestlers, and backstage employees.

Michael Tarver as any sort of dark mysterious character. I like the whole "guy who's there when bad things happen" idea. He could be sort of a hitman, who'll take out anyone and won't back down from anyone. He has good size and build so this could work.

Ted Dibiase as a manic determined to win at any cost. Does anybody recall the one promo where Maryse won't stop talking, Ted looks and just screams at her to shutup? It's the only time I've ever been remotely interested by Ted. They should keep having him lose until a few weeks after Mania when he loses to the biggest jobber they can find, and then loses it. He could become enraged anytime he loses, and take out stars who defeat him. Give him a new look and new name like "Terrible" Ted (a play on his losing streak, and his ruthless personality).

At the very least all of these characters could float around the mid card, and make the IC, and Unites States title look more meaningful.

Does anybody else have ideas?
Reactions: Greatness78
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some little things like Wade coming out with the Rose too. Very minor changes, but it's just something different. Does anybody really think HBK would have evolved into the star he was with a generic look? No chance

· Registered
4,490 Posts
Repackage the following:

Michael McGillicutty as Joe Hennig, "The IMperfect son". 'im not you dad! i never wanted this...leave me alone...' book it

Alex Riley with his jock FWC character. Give him the varsity jacket back, and make him into an obnoxious, and annoying prep. He could be sort of a high school bully, but bullies smaller wrestlers, and backstage employees. have him haze others in an increasingly homosexual way...and keep denying he's gay

Michael Tarver as any sort of dark mysterious character. I like the whole "guy who's there when bad things happen" idea. show photos of bad events with tarver in the background, whne he was nt visible when it happened ....creepy

Ted Dibiase as a manic depressive.

Does anybody else have ideas?
^^^

· Banned
1,197 Posts
Val Venis could have main evented. He was well on his way until the godawful KaiEnTai thing. As a heel he could have made it when he turned on the fans and got splashed by Rikishi, but he didn't. Shame, I still like Val Venis.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
all in all is either funny or creepy...

· Registered
18,863 Posts
DiBiase as the guy who lost everything. Maryse breaks up with him after finding out that DiBiases family lost all their money. So he no longer has anything so he has to start from scratch. It's almost like a movie in it's own rights, a guy who had everything to now nothing and he has to work his way back up again.

Cena as the guy who turned his back on the fans. Everyone knows when this moment happens it'll be up there in moments such as Hogan-NWO so Cena finally turns his back on the WWE Universe but the thing that people need to ask is how far should they go with this? If Cena goes heel, do they go all out 100% leaving no room for him to be a top face ever again or what?

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
A white supremacist who feuds with Mexicans and blacks. He's managed by Michael P.S. Hayes, of course. In keeping with WWE's insistence of shitty CAW names I suggest Bernard McCrossterton.

William Regal and Sheamus tag-teaming with a royalty gimmick. They'd do lots of team manuevers like Doomsday Devices and stuff like that. The team finisher would be Regal putting on a submission that would get capped off with a Brogue Kick.

· Registered
4,490 Posts
DiBiase as the guy who lost everything. Maryse breaks up with him after finding out that DiBiases family lost all their money. So he no longer has anything so he has to start from scratch. It's almost like a movie in it's own rights, a guy who had everything to now nothing and he has to work his way back up again.

forget my other idea...go with this one

after maryse dumps him, he begins a downward spiral, he doesnt care anymore. tell him not to shave or get a haircut for a month. he shows up at shows appearing drunk, looking disheveled, and just lets the other wrestler slap him around - until the other guy (or maybe he overhears the announcer) says something about maryse, at which point teddy loses it, goes homeless-crazy and destroys the guy.

book it.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
No, I think he needs to dump Maryse, tell his dad to suck it, and come back with a motto like "Matches Over Bitches" (MOB) and get a midcard belt. Huzzah, he no longer sucks ass.

Its either rags-to-riches face turn or he can pretend to be a 4th rate version of his dad and work dark matches until he gets Future Endeavored.

Here's an idea: A Spanish wrestler who does the whole Zorro/musketeer thing. He'd be good in comedy segments with Marello and would be something for the non-Mexican Hispanics to care about.

· Registered
225 Posts
-A born-again right-wing Pastor/Preacher character. No tattoos or anything. Just talks down on everyone for their vices/sins, while extolling his own, and also proclaiming his quest to win the title from whoever has it as a "crusade." To make this better, he wouldn't use any heel tactics to win matches. Also, he'd have a weekly segment called "The Pulpit" or something like that where he preaches to the audience, or tries to convince various other wrestlers to conform to his strict religious alignment. He'd even go after other characters (if they did express religious beliefs) for not being of the EXACT same strain as his. You could also bring in a racist angle when feuding with minority characters for extra heat.

I think this could be a Muhammad Hassan-like heat magnet if done correctly.

-A "fallen hero" gimmick following a guy booked kind of like an enforcer as part of a stable for awhile. However, he eventually breaks from the faction due to strong ethics or something in a face turn, and then begins a quest to gain the title. However, much like Batista's gimmick as a face post-2007 was coming oh-so close but somehow getting cheaply robbed of the title, this character would always fall short of getting the title cheaply, despite being booked strongly, usually by faction interference. Over time, despite remaining a face, he would increasingly get more psychotic and violent in trying to attain the title. From there, when he finally wins the title, he immediately forms his own faction to help himself stay on top. Also, he continually tries to permanently end the careers of whoever he's facing, as he's so paranoid and desperate to stay champion he doesn't care about the popular support, thus becoming a heel. Slowly, his faction and empire crumble, but he stubbornly hangs on to the title, eventually culminating a feud with a former member of his own faction, another underdog character, leading to a whole storyline of "full circle, becoming what you fought against," etc. After losing the belt, he'd eventually be forced to reevaluate his choices and how or whether to work back, and whether the quest to the title is more important than the title itself. Basically, material success alone versus possibly being held back but with less risk of going crazy and having everyone hate you.

I think there could be plenty of possibilities and different places to take such a character.

· #RiseAbove
1,474 Posts
No, I think he needs to dump Maryse, tell his dad to suck it, and come back with a motto like "Matches Over Bitches" (MOB)
:lmao :lmao :lmao

With DiBiase not doing shit anyway I'd definitely like to see him pull this off. Although, I'm pretty sure he'll fail. But then again, ya never know.

· Registered
1,954 Posts
Give Justin Gabriel the fallen angel gimmick. This has endless possibilities, simply use your imagination
Give ezekiel jackson a "king pin" like gimmick, almsot like in the movie daredevil
give michael tarver a "baddest man on the planet gimmick".
Give wade barret back his coat/jacket and rose and have him be reffered to as the jackal, a man who would think nothing of deceiving even his own wife if need be to get what he wants.
Build on drew mcintyre's chosen one gimmick?

· Registered
149 Posts
You see guys in the 90's like The Godfather, Val Venis, Big Bossman, etc. Their characters couldn't carry them to the main event, but made them interesting in the mid card scene for a number of years. I figure that aside from the Undertaker that gimmicks don't work with guys approaching the main event scene, but every upper card wrestler has to have some sort of character.
Every Maineventer has had a gimmick!!??

Hogan - Im a real American
Bret Hart - Excellence of Execution
Shawn Micheals was always the heartbreak kid
Stone Cold - toughest SOB
Rock - The most electrifying/ People Champ

The list could go on.

A wrestler has to have a Gimmick a character a personality for people to care about them no matter their level on the card.

· Registered
534 Posts
forget my other idea...go with this one

after maryse dumps him, he begins a downward spiral, he doesnt care anymore. tell him not to shave or get a haircut for a month. he shows up at shows appearing drunk, looking disheveled, and just lets the other wrestler slap him around - until the other guy (or maybe he overhears the announcer) says something about maryse, at which point teddy loses it, goes homeless-crazy and destroys the guy.

book it.
Tyler Reks Gimmick? :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.