Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about a gimmick for Eli now that's he's been kicked off NXT. I'm not a particular fan of his but I think this could work well.

His whole persona is this lanky weirdo right? And he cut a promo in one of the first weeks about him been 'laid in the bushes', 'waiting to strike' etc. And I believe he was brought up in the backwaters of the U.S.

So why not give him a gimmick where's a he kind of a stalker/rural weirdo/tracker. Now that's he bitter about been kicked off NXT. You just see little videos of Morrison and the other Rookies talking about how they felt like they were been watched. Have footage of a tall shadow outside one of thier homes/ lurking in the locker room. Get Eli to wear a Undertaker esque coat and hat to add mystique.

Just think it'd work. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I think Eli Cottonwood will be booked in a similar way to Abyss/Mankind where he's mentally deranged and booked as an unorthadoxed monster.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just hope he's never on the screen again.

Unless he's given/gets some direction. Never has someone looked more like they don't know what's going on. And I don't mean his half-gimmick of being slightly retarded - he just never had a character.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,965 Posts
He needs to be as much like Nick Cave as humanly possible. He also needs to live in a hut on his own in a forest.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Other than his awkward build I think Cottonwood is defintely intresting. Still a bit green in character, but his promo last night was one of the better of the night. There weren't too many weird, and abrupt pauses in his lines. His additional line about looking in to the eyes of the Deadman was interesting to say the least.

Eli should be re-packaged, and signed to Smackdown. Leading to Kane now being hospitalized, and the WWE title now put in to lingo. Teddy Long could have a tournament for the world title at Summer Slam. Now both brothers are down, and out. At the same time the debut of Cottonwood on Smackdown, perhaps vs Matt Hardy.

I agree that the idea of Cottonwood being the attacker would be nice, and I think it could do wonders for him. The only problem is what happens once both brothers are able to compete? Thats when you add the other member, or the brains behind the attack on both men, possibly Alex Riley who wins NXT season 2, and thus using his title shot at Summer Slam.

Meaning this whole ordeal with Eli attacking Riley, and the others was a front. Possibly Eli/Riley made a deal that could be brought to light via storyline. At Summer Slam Riley uses his title shot at Summer Slam, and wins the tournament once the winner who has fought already won. Meaning Riley could just take on the winner of the tournament.

All the while The Miz would cash his MITB in, and lose it that same night at Summer Slam. Leaving Riley his former NXT rookie as a world champion, and The Miz as an almost world champion. Could create some interesting situations down the line. This Riley/Eli would only be temporary, as it would only lead to Riley getting Eli on Smackdown as a superstar.

Once That blows over I think Eli is going to need some help with the Brothers of Destruction. The same can be said about Riley. Taker finds out that Eli took him out, and then Kane finds out that Eli also took him out in the effort to help Riley win the world title.

Riley, Taker, and Kane will end up in a 3-way. Taker would win, and thus setting up a feud between he, and a jealous Kane. Riley will be out of the picture by then, and so would Eli.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cottonwood is just a weird weird guy. He should never have been put on NXT in the first place as he doesnt have a "normal" personality. The character definitely has potential but we're yet to see if he can make it last or if hes any good in the ring.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Cottonwood is just a weird weird guy. He should never have been put on NXT in the first place as he doesnt have a "normal" personality. The character definitely has potential but we're yet to see if he can make it last or if hes any good in the ring.
i agree. i always thought it was a mistake for him to be on nxt to begin with. he isn't really the ideal person who "wants to be a wwe superstar". i think his character could be great if he's booked right etc. i think they should have brought him in on his own as some weird/creeper/psychotic monster. would have worked well i think. yes, there's been people like mankind and kane who have played similar roles, but they weren't a "real person"...it was more like a cartoon character. there's people like eli. i think it could work really well and i hope that last night was the start of it.
btw, if the wwe had thought LONG TERM...eli being takers attacker would have been GREAT! but the E doesn't know what they are going to do from week to week, so that idea can be thrown out the window...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think you could bill him as kind of an awkward comedy guy who goes crazy when he loses his mind. I dont think you could bill him as a totally dark character because hes more goofy and weird looking then intimidating imo.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I kinda like Eli just because he's so well... odd. He's unique. Send him to FCW for a while and then if he improves bring him back with the rural stalker gimmick the OP suggested and see if it takes off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts