Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, fuck Vince McMahon for taking one of the most competitive and enduring sports in the world and turning it into a punchline. When people think of professional wrestling, they think of roided-up guys in yellow tights rather than the men who literally went out and gave it their all. And while the McMahon era of "wrestling" has produced standout talent such as Guerrero and Malenko, they only pale in comparison to the pioneers of wrestling's true golden age.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So a guy who wrestled in his underwear in the 1900s would be disappointed in men who wrestle in their underwear in the 2020s?

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,103 Posts
exactly. if it was like the golden age, Ziggler would be the king of shooters and would dominate the scene having a 10+ years reign.

·
Custom User Title
3,284 Posts
George Hackenschmidt would have his entire existence blown to smithereens from just seeing the flashlight on my iPhone.
Who the fuck cares what he would think about anything.

"I CAN DO A WRIST LOCK FOR 45 MINUTES BECAUSE IM A REAL WRESTLER"
Suck my dick George Hackenschmidt

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I was reading the George Hackenschmidt Wikipedia page and damn.... the legacy section needs citation lol

The years spanning Hackenschmidt's professional career are called the Golden Age of professional wrestling. Not only were professional wrestling matches mostly honestly contested, but wrestling was the most popular sport on every continent.

While you got by back then for being a legitimate shooter, saying matches was mostly honestly contested is false. They were mostly carnival shows. And the most popular sport on every continent? lol The only serious Pro Wrestling in Asia is Japan and that only started to get popular in the 1950s.... In the late 19th Century and early 20th Century it was mostly something big in Europe and North America, if that counts ans every continent then I don't know lol

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
While you got by back then for being a legitimate shooter, saying matches was mostly honestly contested is false. They were mostly carnival shows. And the most popular sport on every continent? lol The only serious Pro Wrestling in Asia is Japan and that only started to get popular in the 1950s.... In the late 19th Century and early 20th Century it was mostly something big in Europe and North America, if that counts ans every continent then I don't know lol
They are going by the Unreal Story of Pro Wrestling documentary that aired in 1998 on A&E. And while that documentary does not dispute the fact that there were worked shows at carnivals as far back as the 19th century, nor did it dispute wrestling being exposed as a work about a dozen times in the 20th century, it did state how there were matches would involve actual shooters and go from 2-3 hours to as long as 5 hours, leading to a bored audience. And they might have a point, since who would work a worked fight for 5 hours straight? Seriously?!?! You’re talking about people solely grappling; no punches or kick or chairs or random highspots.

I will say though, if it was all worked, it puts the current "fight forever" era to shame, that’s for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts