Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 390 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,066 Posts

Looks insanely entertaining and Octavia Spencer in this kind of role is something I never would have expected, but based off that trailer it really looks like it's going to work. Octavia has more than proven herself a great actress (The Help, Fruitvale Station, Shape of Water) and I’m glad she’s getting to play a character as far out there as MA is in this psychological thriller.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
@Obfuscation what did you think of Velvet Buzzsaw in the end?
To my immense pleasure, I'd say I loved it. It was sort of intriguingly shallow in regards to the actual origins of the Horror among the film, but that sort of was kind of in on the fun of it. Your Giallo point was spot on, had those vibes the whole way, especially once they all started to look into the past on the artist they discovered. Enjoyed all the characters, their idiosyncrasies & motivations. (the assistant that traveled to every character and stumbling upon all the grisly sights, lovely trait.) It could have felt obvious or forced a metaphor/allegory, etc on what it says about art & critique, but I thought it was all quite natural and really felt within the art world, rather than mocking it. The last twenty minutes especially brought it, that was awesome. I was sooooo glad my call about Hoboman happened. A rewarding perception. This was def my speed. A nice surprise, had no idea this was even a thing in pre/post-production.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
Yeah definitely a fun movie. Hoboman ruled so much. That whole sequence with the climactic events happening simultaneously was great, especially the stuff in the graffiti gallery. Definitely a nice surprise.

And Deso is spot on about Widows. Good performances but that doesn't matter when the characters are so uninteresting and thin. No flow to the story, no interesting developments, way too much going on for no reason. Just poor all around imo. Definitely felt like McQueen had no idea what film he was actually making.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I still wonder where is the McQueen that directed Shame. A one off career thus far.

Back on the Fulci film train. Conquest & Voices From Beyond, both so utterly bizarre. It's wonderful. One of the most surrealistic scenes I can recall was in the latter, had a presence that could possibly make Bunuel or Man Ray blush, then eggs turn into eyeballs on the plate and they explode upon impact of the knife cutting them up. Never forget the visual.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
CLIMAX ruled. Just completely thrilling from start to finish on so many levels. By far my favourite Noe film and actually the first time I've ever truly liked something he's done. There's an awesome clue as to what to expect right at the start, with a long scene of a tv screen surrounded by VHS tapes of everything the film takes inspiration from and it's a hell of a collection.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Apparently this isn't getting a US release until 3/1, so technically I could count this for this year. Although, if I can find it atm, I'll figure this out later. Stupid release dates prompting futile neurosis.

Also, I'm VERY excited, still. Horror & mystery piped in, oh my. As I've made no bones about hiding my love for all of Noe's films thus far. Ooooh do I marathon all the way into Climax now? I might have to. Can decide which is my favorite, finally. :hmm:

·
The Dream
4,702 Posts
I said I'd make a final post there, but I didn't want to bump the ''Film of the year 2018'' thread since the last post was like a month ago or something. So I'll leave my final 2018 ratings here, also roughly ranked by how much I enjoyed them.

1. Eighth Grade - 9/10
2. Cold War - 9/10
3. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9/10
4. Aquaman - 9/10
5. Burning - 8/10
6. Avengers: Infinity War - 8/10
7. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 8/10
8. BlacKkKlansman - 8/10
9. The Favourite - 8/10
10. At Eternity's Gate - 8/10

Shoplifters - 8/10
Roma - 8/10
Mirai - 8/10
Black Panther - 8/10
Hereditary - 8/10
Searching - 8/10
Skate Kitchen - 7/10
First Reformed - 7/10
A Star Is Born - 7/10
Wildlife - 7/10
mid90s - 7/10
Vox Lux - 7/10
Venom - 7/10
Suspiria - 7/10
The Rider - 7/10
Mandy - 7/10
Green Book - 7/10
Isle of Dogs - 7/10
Deadpool 2 - 7/10
Ready Player One - 7/10
Blindspotting - 7/10
The Miseducation of Cameron Post - 7/10
Sorry to Bother You - 7/10
Creed II - 6/10
Incredibles 2 - 6/10
Lean on Pete - 6/10
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - 6/10
A Quiet Place - 6/10
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 6/10
Leave No Trace - 6/10
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms - 6/10
Annihilation - 5/10
Mary Queen of Scots - 5/10
First Man - 5/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - 4/10
Batman Ninja - 3/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Was gearing up to watch Top Gun (from the top) and then I stumbled upon something I forgot: there's going to be a sequel.

This is going to be the inverse of what made Beverly Hills Cop 2 so great. You're supposed to add Tony Scott into the mix, not make something without him. Knuckleheads.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
Alright what should I watch? Having a hard time deciding recently so I've ended up watching shit TV series' instead and I'm feeling depressed. Fuck TV.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Alright what should I watch? Having a hard time deciding recently so I've ended up watching shit TV series' instead and I'm feeling depressed. Fuck TV.
Watch Ridley Scott's The Counselor so you can possibly love it as much as I do. :cozy

Or something Italian Horror/Giallo related. That's always a good cure for the crummy TV blues.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
These are good ideas. The Counselor, I wanted to see that so much when it came out but it never crosses my mind to watch it. Maybe because since it came out I've realised Ridley Scott isn't very good. But there's always that thought that he can make something great again. This seems to be his most divisive film which is probably a good sign.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
The Counselor is Ridley Scott's best film since 2003. (Though have not seen Matchstick Men again since that year.) Which is why it is his most reviled, evidently.

Wondering if @Obfuscation; has seen Atom Egoyan's Chloe. Psycho-sexual melodrama starring Julianne Moore, Amanda Seyfried and Liam Neeson, it is predictable as well as featuring an underwhelming denouement, but its sleazy high points are not to be wantonly dismissed.

@Bubz; and others may have or would enjoy or enjoyed the film, too.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
I remember it coming out and being interested but never got around to seeing it. Definitely remember hearing it was sleazy and that people were put off by it.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Wondering if @Obfuscation; has seen Atom Egoyan's Chloe. Psycho-sexual melodrama starring Julianne Moore, Amanda Seyfried and Liam Neeson, it is predictable as well as featuring an underwhelming denouement, but its sleazy high points are not to be wantonly dismissed.
I've loved this film since it was released. All of that cat & mouse, seduction, & malaise. Very entrancing. I have a high disaffected/affected Julianne Moore interest :cozy

I remember it coming out and being interested but never got around to seeing it. Definitely remember hearing it was sleazy and that people were put off by it.
Sleaze is sort of part of it (at least one emphatic moment, for certain) but it's more about how mysterious & dark it all is that appealed to me most. It's a bit of a surprise for Ridley, although his filmography is quite varied, to say the least.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
HYPE.

I saw Under The Silver Lake and thought it was pretty great. Anyone that likes Noir or mystery films should get something out of it.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I've been rewatching some early Refn films this past week, too, so the hype is very real right now. Fear X is also his Lost Highway, btw. Incredible.

Under the Silver Lake looks promising. Dunno whenever I'll actually watch it, but I do want to.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts
I saw Us which for me was a big step up in a lot of areas from Get Out. Still some aspects of Peeles writing I'm not a huge fan of (mostly the comedic aspects here and the need to be self aware), but his direction here is impressive and there are some fantastic horror moments. The first scene is such a good horror movie opener. There is no particular social allegory in Us, there's something there but it's far more ambiguous and open to interpretation what it is. Hopefully Peele continues to improve because he certainly has a lot of potential that still feels like it hasn't been fully realised.

Also watched Kagemusha which is obviously really fucking good. That dream sequence!

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Never did see Kagemusha. It was often on Netflix, although it was some different cut, maybe American, that changed it from Kurosawa's original so I didn't want to watch it that way. Don't think it was part of Criterion to be lumped with all of his rest en route to how I've seen all that I have from him. Again, one day. A revision through all of his films would be nice, actually. Starting to become too long of a gap now. Ran will probably still be my favorite, but I'd really like to see how I'd take to a number of others. I weirdly remember so little of The Bad Sleep Well in regards to the details, meanwhile, it'll just be a lot of fun to see The Hidden Fortress back to back with Star Wars.

181 - 200 of 390 Posts