Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It makes no sense to not have them anymore. For example the way they revealed AJ Styles was traded, who made the trade? Like who makes matches anymore? The wrestlers just say let’s a match and that’s it? Makes no sense. The way they executed the draft with FOX and USA “executives” was also a bad concept.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,671 Posts
GM's only really work well as Heel authority figures but if it's just for the sake of logical business decisions like the one you mentioned then I guess it's easier to simply ignore how they do it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I concur with the notion of running a GM like Regal. Announcing things when needed, but not becoming the focal point of the show or being integral to storyline/s.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
GMs never were believable after Eric Bishchoff, Heyman and Steph. They end up with repetitive shit and an obligatory feud on their way out that wastes everybody's time.

The only believable authority figures to me, are the people who actually run the show. Characters like Vickie Guererro, Johny Ace, Baron Corbin and Teddy Long running a million dollar company operations is just mind-boggling and fake.

Since Shane and Steph/Triple thing has also played out. I think its best to not have any mainstay on-screen authority figures. Stephanie can pop in and out when absolutely required for a feud or a storyline.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I to miss GMs. I also agree that best suited is like Regal in nxt in that they appear rarely to announce the big matches.

With Heyman widely known to be booking Raw, I don't see why they don't just make him GM for Raw or even cast for someone to play as network executives. Post WM Raw might of well as made MVP Raw GM due to him being involved with multiple talent.

As for Smackdown, just use a hall of famer or even just Vince.

·
Southern Pride
3,219 Posts
I don't mind the shows having a GM like a Regal that only shows up to make announcements. GMs that aren't the focal point of the show. Heel GMs though need to stay away for a long, long time. Both WWE and Impact played that out.

Adam Pearce for example. Has been on TV a few times in a random authority role just to make a match on TV or whatever. Using a guy like him for a "Regal" or "Jack Tunney" role is fine. I can support something like that.

WWE are lazy though and don't bother explaining things. Like when a wrestler points at the big screen while in the ring and some video plays. Who made the video? The wrestler or someone backstage? Is someone backstage biased toward a wrestler? Why does a wrestlers music play when they are making an "impromptu" walk to the ring to interrupt someone else? WWE doesn't expect us to think about these things, along with the matches being made with no GM on TV.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I support bringing back William Regal/Jack Turney style GMs for each brand, just as long as they don't make them dominate the show.

Only problem with that is I fear the networks (USA and FOX) would ask and push WWE to make them become the main part of the show if they have the McMahons or big legends like Hogan and Flair as the GMs thinking it'll combat falling ratings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WWE doesn't expect us to think about these things, along with the matches being made with no GM on TV.
This is one of the worst aspects of no GM to me. I can't stand when talent randomly comes out and challenges another talent to a match, and it just happens. So you mean to tell me that anyone can request a match with anyone else at any time? Why aren't there more title challenges if this is the way it works? It makes no sense.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,145 Posts
If GM’s were to return just go the route they go with Regal, just there when needed to sign off the matches/make decisions but not dominating the shows.
Agreed. Regal is the best GM i've seen in years. He's not hogging the spotlight and doesn't need to be centre of attention or in a storyline. He just signs off on matches, makes announcement and all that.That's what I believe a GM should be about.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I just realize only Mick Foley and William Regal who have play similar role in WWE, both of them were play as WWE commissioner (they played it well) then Mick was GM one time and Regal is still GM for NXT.

GM role could effective if their boss not interfere a lot or only there when the situation is uncontrollable or GM can't make decision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
who would you like as GM? MVP is perfect for RAW now.
I agree on that, MVP fits the role.

On a side note, again it looked stupid when they opened SmackDown tonight and there was no GM to talk about the Jeff Hardy/Elias situations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts