Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cards look great, majority of the time enticing for a purchase. But the matches do not deliver. There are rarely ever classic encounters and much of the matches are watered down to the point where they rarely ever surprass the ***3/4 star mark.

TLC's card is looking great, with a few matches having an undeniable potential of reaching a ****+ quality affair, but they just don't. WWE holds their wrestlers back.

This is why I won't be ordering TLC, despite the card looking great, the matches just won't deliver and I strongly doubt we will get a match that surpasses ***3/4.

I don't really want to order a PPV with a bunch of ** matches, with no other matches that surpass the classic mark to redeem them.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Any card that has Miz/Orton and Kane/Edge can't possibly look great. When a divas match is more promising than the two main events, the whole thing is screwed up. Do some look like potential 4-stars? Sure. But the WWE & World title matches look like potential 1-star matches.

And then there's Wade Barrett. We're lucky he's paired with Cena, who can work with anybody, even under something as lame as a chair match. If it were almost anyone else but Cena, that would be another 1-star match in the making.

TLC looks decent. But I don't think the card is complete. Still have to find out what Daniel Bryan is doing. He could help save the show if things start dragging. Hope he goes against Ted Jr.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
I have enjoyed every PPV this year except Over The Limit which was saved by Batista/Cena from being god awful. Last year spoiled people with a lot of great matches but WWE/Nexus, Danielson/Ziggler, Danielson/Morrison/Miz, Raw/Smackdown, Jericho/Edge (both of them) and Smackdown's MITB were great and I am pretty sure every PPV had at least one match that was ***1/2. Just because my 2009 ratings had nine **** compared to two from this year doesn't mean it was a shitty year by any means.

Take Fatal Four Way as an example no match was **** but Jericho/Bourne, Kingston/McIntyre, Mysterio/Punk/Swagger/Show and Orton/Edge/Cena/Sheamus were all *** and above. There were a few events that had a few *** matches that made the whole PPV look strong. I am not denying that 09 was a better year for great matches but this year has not been bad by any means.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Any card that has Miz/Orton and Kane/Edge can't possibly look great. When a divas match is more promising than the two main events, the whole thing is screwed up. Do some look like potential 4-stars? Sure. But the WWE & World title matches look like potential 1-star matches.

And then there's Wade Barrett. We're lucky he's paired with Cena, who can work with anybody, even under something as lame as a chair match. If it were almost anyone else but Cena, that would be another 1-star match in the making.

TLC looks decent. But I don't think the card is complete. Still have to find out what Daniel Bryan is doing. He could help save the show if things start dragging. Hope he goes against Ted Jr.
I'm hoping for a regular Bryan vs Kidd match.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I don't think I'll enjoy TLC very much. Sure, some of the matches look good on paper, but they've gone for the overkill. Does every match on the card have to be related to a TLC match? I'll get bored of the gimmick halfway through the PPV.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think the card looks great. The two ladder matches could steal the show, the two tables matches could be a lot of fun, I think the chairs matches have the advantage of having good storylines, and the TLC match is perfect for Edge and Kane.

As for the ppvs themselves, yes, 2009 spoiled us. Last year, Royal Rumble No Way Out, Backlash, Extreme Rules, SummerSlam, Breaking Point, Bragging Rights, and TLC were all solid to excellent.

This year, some ppvs have been mediocre (Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, WrestleMania), or surprisingly weak (Extreme Rules, Over the Limit, Fatal Four-Way, SummerSlam). The only good ppvs have come in the last few months. Night of Champions, Hell in a Cell, Bragging Rights, and Survivor Series were all good.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I'll enjoy TLC very much. Sure, some of the matches look good on paper, but they've gone for the overkill. Does every match on the card have to be related to a TLC match? I'll get bored of the gimmick halfway through the PPV.
If done right, the TLC PPV could be seriously amazing. Gimmick overkill, maybe, but I love Ladder/TLC matches and WWE seems to do them well.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Last year was a better year for PPVs despite the TV this year being miles better, agreed but I don't think its been a bad year for PPVs. I mean, they certainly don't give you value for money, sometimes they're a bit bland and they're usually not ''must-see'' anymore but they're not often bad. The main problem I've had is their tendency to throw together an undercard at the last minute.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PPVs this year actually had lots of potential to be good but for some reason, they never deliver 100%. Some PPVs feel "half-baked" to me but of course there were also a lot of great highlights. Our biggest consolation, though, is that the TV product is worlds apart much better now than last year, which had been repetitive (e.g. Cena-Orton for the nth time) and oftentimes downright shitty because of the Guest Host crap.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
The General consensus on WWE PPV's in 2010 is that you should just stop watching as soon as it gets to the main event.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
The General consensus on WWE PPV's in 2010 is that you should just stop watching as soon as it gets to the main event.
You are so wrong and in fact Money In The Bank and Bragging Rights were the only PPV's with main events below *** and if you skipped the Smackdown Elimination Chamber, Team WWE/Nexus, Cena/Batista(both), Rumble Match or Michaels/Taker you clearly have no interest in watching good wrestling.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
PPV's sucked this year. Money in the Bank was the only one remotely good. With that in mind, I will getting TLC due to my Gamestop reward with Smackdown vs Raw, so it's like In Your House price. The card doesn't look terrible, which is all I can really ask for these days.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
You are so wrong and in fact Money In The Bank and Bragging Rights were the only PPV's with main events below *** and if you skipped the Smackdown Elimination Chamber, Team WWE/Nexus, Cena/Batista(both), Rumble Match or Michaels/Taker you clearly have no interest in watching good wrestling.
Chill out there bro, I guess I should have been much more specific and said the latter part of 2010, it's pretty clear atm that the main event matches on PPV's suck whereas the midcarders shine.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Mid card was solid to very good.

Main event matches were horrible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, erm not the best year really I'd say. But it's been ok.
Royal Rumble - Probably the worst I've seen this deacde. Apart from Edge coming back, that was good. 2/5 Stars.
Elimination Chamber - Just like a normal good stip PPV, just why change the name?! 3/5 Stars.
Wrestlemania XXVI - To say it was the biggest event of the year, it wasn't that good. Apart from Taker V HBK. 2/5 Stars.
Extreme Rules - Extreme doesn't work with PG. You can't even have blood. IT WAS LAST MAN STANDING! 2/5 Stars
Over the Limit - Wasn't that good. I like the name and set, but the matches. Meh. Apart from Cena/Batista. Thank god for the FU through the stage. 2/5 Stars.
Fatal 4 Way - It was a bit stupid, I really don't like stip names for PPV's (apart from Rumble) But yaknow, Rey won so. 3/5 Stars.
Money in the Bank - Thank god for Kane. Casing in! Quite a good show, apart from teh Steel Cage Match. Stupid with The Nexus once again. 3/5 Stars.
Summerslam - Wasn't that good really. Nice Taker return though. 3/5 Stars.
Night of Champions - 6 Matches! 6! It used to be 10! Anyway, erm, finally The Miz loses the US Title. And the 6 Pack Elimination Challenge was good. 3/5 Stars.
Hell in a Cell - STUPID MAIN EVENT! CRAPPY SCREWJOB! US Title Match was good though. 2/5 Stars.
Bragging Rights - Rubbish. Rubbish WWE Title, Buried Alive was crap. RAW V SD was bad. 2/5 Stars.
Survivor Series - The Miz didn't cash in. Cena didn't turn heel. Barrett didn't win the title. Neither did Edge. And Cena didn't even hesitate to count 3. Worst PPV of the year. 1/5 Stars.
TLC - FINALLY! EVERY MATCH IS A STIP! Divas using Tables even! I'm looking forward to it. But WWE could waste it. I think it'll be 4/5 Stars pushing a 5 Maybe. But only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Here's hoping you are right, and it is good. I've been watching WWE since 1989 and finally had a very good chance to attend a PPV, so I broke down and bought a ticket this afternoon.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I can't really enjoy WWE matches anymore, I can't see past the limited move sets and the 'handcuffs'. I still enjoy the storylines though, so I still watch Raw and PPV.

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
The IC Championship match and No. 1 Contenders match look like the show stealers here. I couldn't care less about the main events.

A little off topic but, speaking of the No. 1 Contenders match, when was the last time there was one on PPV for the WWE Championship?

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Wrestlemania XXVI - To say it was the biggest event of the year, it wasn't that good. Apart from Taker V HBK. 2/5 Stars.

Survivor Series - The Miz didn't cash in. Cena didn't turn heel. Barrett didn't win the title. Neither did Edge. And Cena didn't even hesitate to count 3. Worst PPV of the year. 1/5 Stars.

Can't agree. Wrestlemania was awesome - no Miz pun

Survivor Series > Over The Limit, Hell in a Cell, Fatal 4 Way, Bragging Rights
... and Cena did hesitate to call the '3', just wasn't extremely dramatic just like you wanted.

My personal favorites
1. Wrestlemania XXVI (as it should be)
2. Money in the Bank (most unpredictable and interestingly played out matches besides Cena/Sheamus cage :no:)
3. Survivor Series (mainly because I was there :rolleyes:)

I will be ordering TLC, I love the matches involved (minus the proverbial 'chairs' match) and I can't miss the chance of witnessing Edge winning that 10th big one. Plus, ALL the matches have me intrigued. I do somehow hope Bryan ends up on the card (which I know he will). He's really been shining as of late, there's NO reason he shouldn't be there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts