Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty awesome thus far.

Plenty to do, plenty to unlock. Achievement list is looking good. First couple chapters are looking typical-Gears campaign awesomeness.

So far so good.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
323 Posts
i don't have an xbox and i was gonna but tbh this game got the same score as resistance 3 and worse then little big planet if this is xbox's best game ill pass and play uncharted 3 the surperior 3rd person shooter game proven with reviews

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bought it today but I still hasn't played yet. Can't wait, the reviews are fucking great. I hope 3 years of hype worth it.

·
Asuka
96,245 Posts
Just finished campaign mode. I'll start with what I had a problem with. Unfortunately, I didn't think the story was quite as good as in the first two, parts of it fell flat for me. Kind of like God of War 3, which worries me for games like AC Revelations, U3 and Mass Effect 3. It seems like the trend of games lately is that the first two are so good that the finale can't follow it. Don't get me wrong, though, it's a very good campaign, but I thought the first two are better. I will say that certain parts of it were amazing, and it had some really nice, moving moments, and those who have finished the campaign will know which ones I'm referring to. There was one level that I hated, and I won't spoil what it involves, since I want people to experience the entire campaign for themselves and not know what's coming up later, but anybody who knows me and one the problems I have with video games can probably guess what that is when they get to it. That level pissed me off. When everybody's played the game, maybe I'll talk about it in more detail.

I also thought the art direction wasn't right for this game. Now I will say, I do love the art direction, but I would've loved it on a different game. It just feels weird when 1 and 2 look exactly the same and 3 has a more animated, vibrant look, so I would've preferred they kept that old art direction. This game looked more like Bulletstorm than Gears of War. I guess they liked that style since they just worked on that game, but I would've kept the old Gears style graphics. Great art direction, just not the best fit for this particular game. Them changing a few of the characters appearances was weird too, like Anya and the Locust Queen, but whatever on that one. We didn't see a whole lot of them to begin with in the first two.

Now as far as the positives go, in terms of enemies and combat and overall fun factor during combat, this is by far the best of the 3. That's really what shines through the most. The Lambent enemies are awesome, and the Lambent stalks are a lot cooler than the emergence holes. The Gunkers drove me crazy, with that huge tentacle hand that stretches out for a mile, but that just makes it all the more satisfying when they're dead. The new weapons are great, the retro Lancer is cool, the charge is awesome, the Silverback is awesome, and the thing that I love most about the combat are the executions. Great feature to include that. One of the biggest positives I have with the game is the ability to self revive yourself. We've needed that the past 2 games, so it was great for them to include. Also, for whatever I didn't like about the campaign, this campaign mode has the craziest, greatest Locust fight in any of the 3 games. I'd replay that chapter any day, loads of fun.

So there you have it. Sort of mixed between good and bad for me. Well, the bad wasn't exactly outright bad, it just could've done a little better in those areas, but it's still well worth it.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
That's just... I don't even know what to say. Typical sheep, letting himself driven by what reviewers say. Winning game of the year doesn't mean shit and I couldn't care less about the metacritic rating.

OHH, TEH GRAPHICZ! Yeah, that's pretty much the only advantage the Uncharted series has over Gears.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just finished campaign mode. I'll start with what I had a problem with. Unfortunately, I didn't think the story was quite as good as in the first two, parts of it fell flat for me. Kind of like God of War 3, which worries me for games like AC Revelations, U3 and Mass Effect 3. It seems like the trend of games lately is that the first two are so good that the finale can't follow it. Don't get me wrong, though, it's a very good campaign, but I thought the first two are better. I will say that certain parts of it were amazing, and it had some really nice, moving moments, and those who have finished the campaign will know which ones I'm referring to. There was one level that I hated, and I won't spoil what it involves, since I want people to experience the entire campaign for themselves and not know what's coming up later, but anybody who knows me and one the problems I have with video games can probably guess what that is when they get to it. That level pissed me off. When everybody's played the game, maybe I'll talk about it in more detail.

I also thought the art direction wasn't right for this game. Now I will say, I do love the art direction, but I would've loved it on a different game. It just feels weird when 1 and 2 look exactly the same and 3 has a more animated, vibrant look, so I would've preferred they kept that old art direction. This game looked more like Bulletstorm than Gears of War. I guess they liked that style since they just worked on that game, but I would've kept the old Gears style graphics. Great art direction, just not the best fit for this particular game. Them changing a few of the characters appearances was weird too, like Anya and the Locust Queen, but whatever on that one. We didn't see a whole lot of them to begin with in the first two.

Now as far as the positives go, in terms of enemies and combat and overall fun factor during combat, this is by far the best of the 3. That's really what shines through the most. The Lambent enemies are awesome, and the Lambent stalks are a lot cooler than the emergence holes. The Gunkers drove me crazy, with that huge tentacle hand that stretches out for a mile, but that just makes it all the more satisfying when they're dead. The new weapons are great, the retro Lancer is cool, the charge is awesome, the Silverback is awesome, and the thing that I love most about the combat are the executions. Great feature to include that. One of the biggest positives I have with the game is the ability to self revive yourself. We've needed that the past 2 games, so it was great for them to include. Also, for whatever I didn't like about the campaign, this campaign mode has the craziest, greatest Locust fight in any of the 3 games. I'd replay that chapter any day, loads of fun.

So there you have it. Sort of mixed between good and bad for me. Well, the bad wasn't exactly outright bad, it just could've done a little better in those areas, but it's still well worth it.
Not going to comment on the Campaign as I'm only Act 1: Chapter 4.

I really love the new art-style towards the game. The scenery is fantastic, and it reminds me of Bulletstorm HEAPS now that you mention it. That game had insane shit going on in the backdrop at all times, and it looks as though Gears 3 is the same.

Gunplay has stepped it up. Graphics are better. Multiplayer is 1000x better. Have yet to try Horde or Beast, but Horde was my favourite thing about Gears 2 so I'm sure I'll enjoy it this time around.

·
Indeed
16,935 Posts
I like the new art direction for Gears of War 3. It just pops, whereas Gears 1 and 2 were kinda subdued. Gunplay is very much the same, but I do not mind that since I actually enjoy the "peek-a-boo" style of gunplay.

Did they change Anya's voice actor? Despite being a soldier in the game, her actress actually sounds even more soft than the previous one.

·
Banned
323 Posts
That's just... I don't even know what to say. Typical sheep, letting himself driven by what reviewers say. Winning game of the year doesn't mean shit and I couldn't care less about the metacritic rating.

OHH, TEH GRAPHICZ! Yeah, that's pretty much the only advantage the Uncharted series has over Gears.
and not the story? bahaha uncharted has one of the best storys around while gears storys have been reviewed as cheesy and booring and now the multiplayer will be better

UNCHARTED 3 FTW! PLAYSTATION IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
Gears 3 is pretty great so far. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet (never been a big fan of Gears online), but the campaign is doing everything right so far. I don't know if it'll top Gears 1, but I'm enjoying it more than Gears 2.

·
I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
767 Posts
I completed it earlier today. For me, it's one of those Campaigns, that when you complete it, you wanna go back and play it all over again.

I only just about held back the tears for a certain part of the game too, I really did love every second of it and I can imagine some parts of the campaign are going to be ridiculously hard on Insane mode.

And thankfully the multiplayer is much better than GoW2 was. Although I will admit there are a few weapons that are probably going to drive people insane as they really bring the cheap kill numbers up.

This one's going to keep me busy for quite a while.

·
KO
5,348 Posts
Just finished it. For me, it was a perfect 10/10, to be honest. Everything was done right, just like World Wide said. The game is ridiculously good with keeping the monotony - that usually strikes similar games - at bay. The ending left me yearning for more. Also, as many have said, I was on the verge of crying (well, sort of) at that particular moment, which shows that I was emotionally invested. Absolutely amazing stuff that is well deserving of the 9.5s it's getting.

I also just facerolled some people in multiplayer (25-7), and let me tell you this, it's been long since I've enjoyed multi this much.

·
Jonathan Coachman
7,643 Posts
y every xbox game thread turn into a console war thread tho?

PS3fags let 360fags have their day for once, this is literally the only exclusive title worth talking about that they've gotten all year, quit being so buttmad.

and not the story? bahaha uncharted has one of the best storys around while gears storys have been reviewed as cheesy and booring and now the multiplayer will be better

UNCHARTED 3 FTW! PLAYSTATION IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING
Also dis ****** dumb as hell.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Will be buying at the end of the month when I get paid. Cant fuckin wait!!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts