Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so I don't know if you guys have already done this. I have been reading the "biggest asshole" thread (which is epic and made me join the site). And I see people defending HHH. I used to do the same thing until I gauged his ACTUAL talent:
Being unbiased (if that's possible) can you see any way HHH deserves to be a 13x world champion?
I have tried to justify it in my head over and over again and I can't do it (same for all the runs Edge, Cena & Orton have had too).
So I wanna know what you guys think. Is there any legit justification for HHH to have been so successful?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
The only person that deserves to be a 13 time world champion is Ric Flair.

However, Triple H is one of the most talented guys in WWE history.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry but I just don't see it.
Sure he's a big draw but that doesn't equate talent.
When I think talented I think show stealers or "showstoppers" I can't think of 1 time I thought HHH stole the show. However there are many cards WWE produced with Trips in the main event but someone else stole the show but its never been the other way around why is that?
When I say showstoppers I mean: hbk, benoit, eddie, angle, jericho, orton (when he was younger), morrison, punk etc Trips never made that impact on me.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
This thread is a ticking time bomb. Any thread about Trips is. Most people just cannot be objective when it comes to him. Besides, your criteria for being talented isn't a universal thing. Only people who are 'show stealers' are talented? I don't think that's a particularly effective way to make a judgment tbh.

Anybody with any shred of common sense should be able to tell that when he switched up his gimmick in 99 that he was destined to be a true star. He can talk on the mic with ease, he can go in the ring (and at that time heading into 2000, I'd confidently say he was the absolute best in that regard), he has the look, he has the presence, he has charisma, he has it all. Why wouldn't Vince push him? Over the years he has shown that he is indeed talented when it comes to this profession. He wouldn't be so successful if he wasn't.

Does he deserve to have 13 world titles? I don't know. I certainly think he's more worthy of having 10+ titles to his name than Edge could ever hope to be. Flair's record of 16 was established at a different time all together and I don't think anything will ever match up to that and rightfully so. Trips reigns will never be held in that regard. Edge's are a joke.

And one final point, being talented does not directly correlate with title count. Look at HBK, look at Taker etc. The are two of the most talented ever and their title counts aren't particularly high.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm a triple H fan, one of my favorites, but i believe he has gained so much fame and stuff because of the guys he got to wrestle.

Foley, rock, austin, taker. He wrestled 2 of the top 3 draws ever, so of course he gained some fame. He got to be the main bad guy for the guys that drew like a mofo.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The number of times he's been World Champion is irrelevant in this day and age where titles have become hot potatoes.

Fact of the matter is HHH is a great worker, was a great heel and is very talented. As much as people wanna bury him as a politician who married the boss' daughter - he was World Champion before that happened and for a reason.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nobody cares about Triple H, its so funny. The guy has been in the main event for over a decade of destruction. He comes back again this year after the longest layoff and they get people to cheer for him (tell them to do it). Comes back 2nd weak (no plants) and already you'd think he never left. To say that he would been booked like he was without marrying the company is complete BS.

This guy is one of the most forced bookings of all time. If he wasn't hanging around HBK for the past while before he left his stock would be even more pathetic.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,627 Posts
I'm new here so I don't know if you guys have already done this. I have been reading the "biggest asshole" thread (which is epic and made me join the site). And I see people defending HHH. I used to do the same thing until I gauged his ACTUAL talent:
Being unbiased (if that's possible) can you see any way HHH deserves to be a 13x world champion?
I have tried to justify it in my head over and over again and I can't do it (same for all the runs Edge, Cena & Orton have had too).
So I wanna know what you guys think. Is there any legit justification for HHH to have been so successful?

Yes. He has a superstar look, tremendous athleticism, and great ability. He has been one of the best in the ring and on the mic in 4 different eras (pre attitude era, AE with DX, post AE, and whatever the fuck we have now).

Beyond that he has been extremely over since the late 90s. Its not often someone maintains credibility and popularity with the fans for so many years.

By all accounts Triple H is also one of the smartest guys in the business. This comes from Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon etc.

Thats why hes successful. Yes people can argue about him holding others down all they want but hes successful for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The Attitude Era belonged to Austin, The Rock...and Triple fucking H.

You need that guy, that one guy who is able to make the top stars look good and keep the fans wanting to see them beat the opposition. Your top Face is only as good as your top Heel (and vice versa). The Rock and Austin had Triple H to play that great heel for them. People forget, but Trips really was getting near epic meltdown levels of heat in the late 90's and early 00's. He was the perfect contrast to Austin, and especially to The Rock.

He may not have been the biggest dollar for dollar draw, but I guarantee if Trips wasn't there to play the folly to Austin and Rock they wouldn't have drew as big as they did when they where the top faces in the company.
Yeah. I quoted myself.

You can't see me.:flip
lol

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
You can't compare HHH's 13 reigns with Flair's 16 accurately, just like you can't with Edge's 11, or the clutch Cena's already amassed. In a company where a title usually changes hands at least every other PPV, and has two world titles on the go at once, the number is going to be greatly skewed within another 5 years.

It's same way that an 8 year title reign used to be huge, but now a similar reaction would be elicited at 10 to 12 months. The business has changed completely, and it's now only a matter of time until Flair's record is surpassed just due to ongoing booking.

To most people, it'll be recognised that Flair's number is so much more significant because of how wrestling worked when he built that record. It's an antiquated viewpoint to expect a worker's quality now to be judged on title reigns the in same way Flair was, though. The belt just doesn't hold the same importance, outside of first time wins.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This thread is a ticking time bomb. Any thread about Trips is. Most people just cannot be objective when it comes to him. Besides, your criteria for being talented isn't a universal thing. Only people who are 'show stealers' are talented? I don't think that's a particularly effective way to make a judgment tbh.

Anybody with any shred of common sense should be able to tell that when he switched up his gimmick in 99 that he was destined to be a true star. He can talk on the mic with ease, he can go in the ring (and at that time heading into 2000, I'd confidently say he was the absolute best in that regard), he has the look, he has the presence, he has charisma, he has it all. Why wouldn't Vince push him? Over the years he has shown that he is indeed talented when it comes to this profession. He wouldn't be so successful if he wasn't.

Does he deserve to have 13 world titles? I don't know. I certainly think he's more worthy of having 10+ titles to his name than Edge could ever hope to be. Flair's record of 16 was established at a different time all together and I don't think anything will ever match up to that and rightfully so. Trips reigns will never be held in that regard. Edge's are a joke.

And one final point, being talented does not directly correlate with title count. Look at HBK, look at Taker etc. The are two of the most talented ever and their title counts aren't particularly high.
QFT.
When it comes down to it he's over with the people who fork out their hard earned week after week, as evidenced by the pops he gets if nothing else. He's a tried and true performer on the big stage, he entertains the majority (not the small minority of the IWC who bitch endlessly), which makes him a draw.
We can have these arguments til we're blue in the face, but the fact remains, if he weren't any good at it he wouldn't still be there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i'll got against the grain and disagree that flair deserved 16 heavyweight title reigns.

But yeah, triple H doesn't deserve 13 of them either.

the WWE should make references to cumulative time the title was held by a person rather than the number of times they held it.

Would make people like Edge exposed as what they are.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
i'll got against the grain and disagree that flair deserved 16 heavyweight title reigns.

But yeah, triple H doesn't deserve 13 of them either.

the WWE should make references to cumulative time the title was held by a person rather than the number of times they held it.

Would make people like Edge exposed as what they are.
And that's why they won't do it.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Triple H is nowhere near where he is supposed to be after the backing he had.If my ass recieved a 13 year long push it would have become the Supercollider tunnel.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm sorry but I just don't see it.
Sure he's a big draw but that doesn't equate talent.
When I think talented I think show stealers or "showstoppers" I can't think of 1 time I thought HHH stole the show. However there are many cards WWE produced with Trips in the main event but someone else stole the show but its never been the other way around why is that?
When I say showstoppers I mean: hbk, benoit, eddie, angle, jericho, orton (when he was younger), morrison, punk etc Trips never made that impact on me.
most ppv's in 2000 he stole the show and was without question the best worker in the company,what he did for the first couple of months in 2001 was also incredible,its such a shame that he got injured because he wasnt the same when he returned.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I think Triple H is where he is because of how many title reigns he had, if a kid hears 'thirteen time world champion' than he shits his pants and marks.
I think Hunter understands wrestling, alot. He realised that his Generation, needed one guy to be the complete badass you either loved or hated, and he decided he wanted that role.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts