Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Lol it wasn't just anyone's twitter it was the other female asian's they got in developmental, its almost like they can't tell them apart or something... If it was say Naomi's twitter or Mandy's it wouldn't look as bad, but the fact that it was the only other female asian's twitter whos not even on the main roster just makes them look racist. Just watch when Io is called up she'll join the Kabuki Warriors, cause you gotta put all the Asians together right?

Its a fact every Asian is booked like shit in this company, and the language barrier aint an excuse, look at Warrior, he was almost incomprehensible, you couldn't even understand what he was saying and he was one of their top guys.

I swear if they had Okada he'd be on their pre shows or sitting catering for months, or he'd be in some awful tag team with Nakamura.
Not seeing the connection with comparing HOF, Ultimate Warrior from the 80's and a couple of female wrestling talents. But ok .. whatever.

But back to the topic at hand. It was a mistake, plain and simple. Interesting that both Asuka/Io both have Japanese writing in their main twitter name. Whoever put in the info, must have just made a mistake by being too hasty. I've seen several graphic mistakes in the WWE over the years. Nobody had a meltdown over them. Racism should not be any part of this conversation.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with her that WWE seems to discriminate against Japanese. Kofi Kingston, Jinger M. and the late Eddie G. were minorities who are/were World Champions. The only Japanese World champion wrestler on the main roster is Auska which seems for a month.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I dont understand why she gets such a bad wrap... she hasn't or doesn't say anything that isn't posted here on a dayly basis. Or are we all just bitter bitches that need to shut up? That question is somewhat rhetorical... I could definitely stand to shut up more often

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,699 Posts
Not to this extent.

You can talk about how badly they're wasting a guy like Joe, whatever. That guy is on tv EVERY week, sometimes in main event matches. Asuka and Kairi don't get 30 seconds on tv 48 weeks of the year.
I know, I know. Somebody get those ladies some blonde wigs.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Not seeing the connection with comparing HOF, Ultimate Warrior from the 80's and a couple of female wrestling talents. But ok .. whatever.

But back to the topic at hand. It was a mistake, plain and simple. Interesting that both Asuka/Io both have Japanese writing in their main twitter name. Whoever put in the info, must have just made a mistake by being too hasty. I've seen several graphic mistakes in the WWE over the years. Nobody had a meltdown over them. Racism should not be any part of this conversation.
Yea also interesting that the graphic was mistake for someones who wasn't even on the show. If you can't see why that's not problematic then you got your head in the sand.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I dont understand why she gets such a bad wrap... she hasn't or doesn't say anything that isn't posted here on a dayly basis. Or are we all just bitter bitches that need to shut up? That question is somewhat rhetorical... I could definitely stand to shut up more often
Some fans bend over backwards to kiss WWE's backside no matter what. it's never their fault, it's always the talent. And anyone who has first-hand experience and rightly calls them out is just a "bitter loser who needs to shut up" or whatever.

Rather pathetic really.

·
Registered
409 Posts
She's not wrong, but the talents have to blame themselves a little, too. They joined an American based company without bothering to learn how to speak hardly any good English.
On the flipside anyone who can't speak English still can't be worse at promo's then Ember Moon and Natalya 2 people challening for title matches at SummerSlam. Asuka,Io,Kairi despite their limitations with the language are significantly better at connecting with the audience then Natalya who has been with WWE 10+ years.

WWE has a whole host of issues with how they manage talent of all races,that said Vince's behaivor toward Asian talent has always been problematic at best

·
Asuka
96,501 Posts
She's not wrong, but the talents have to blame themselves a little, too. They joined an American based company without bothering to learn how to speak hardly any good English.
First of all, the company hired them, not the other way around. If they don't want to use talent because they don't speak the langue, don't hire them. That's not the talents fault, that's YOUR fucking fault. If you're not interested in them, tell them to eat shit.

Secondly, Japanese and English are literally the two most different, far apart languages in the world. They have nothing in common. It's extremely hard to go from one to the other, and all of them have made an attempt to learn English, because they all speak it. This is not a situation like Sin Cara (Mistico) where he just flat out told the company he wasn't going to learn English.

Thirdly, Brock Lesnar does not speak one word, not ONE WORD on 99% of the occasions that he's on television. As far as a new fan is concerned who's only seen Brock in the last year, for all they know he was born in Norway and can't speak a lick of English. Now you tell me one good fucking reason why Brock Lesnar can never speak a damn word and still be pushed like Brock Lesnar, because he's got Heyman doing all of his talking for him, but you can't push Asuka and Kairi Sane when they've got Paige to cut their promos.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
First of all, the company hired them, not the other way around. If they don't want to use talent because they don't speak the langue, don't hire them. That's not the talents fault, that's YOUR fucking fault. If you're not interested in them, tell them to eat shit.
Wrong. If I hire a person who has vast experience picking Apples even though I have an Orange farm, I expect said person to pick Oranges, not Apples. The least you can expect from an employee is that they learn the language.
But WWE is at fault too -If they truly have a wish to use foreign talent, they should simply make a clause in the contract regarding company language... But I think a lot of those signings are done simply so no one else can have them.

·
Asuka
96,501 Posts
Wrong. If I hire a person who has vast experience picking Apples even though I have an Orange farm, I expect said person to pick Oranges, not Apples. The least you can expect from an employee is that they learn the language.
But WWE is at fault too -If they truly have a wish to use foreign talent, they should simply make a clause in the contract regarding company language... But I think a lot of those signings are done simply so no one else can have them.
First of all, picking apples and picking oranges would only require you to take them off the branch, so that doesn't make any sense.

And no, it is your fault. If you hire Michael Jordan to be a baseball player, that's not Mikes fault, that's your fault. You were stupid enough to hire somebody who was woefully unqualified for the job that YOU asked them to perform.

And again, I don't think you realize how different Japanese and English are. There's only one person I've EVER heard from Japan who speaks clear, fluent English and that's Fumi Saito who is the Japanese wrestling expert for the Observer, and he's been speaking English for like 40 years, and even then, he still doesn't speak it with the exact same clarity as you and I do where we can talk a mile a minute. Every other Japanese person I've ever seen speaking English sounds like Asuka and Nakamura, and I've heard a lot of them. It takes fucking for-ev-er. This is not English to French or English to German. The fact that they speak it at all is a miracle.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts

Secondly, Japanese and English are literally the two most different, far apart languages in the world. They have nothing in common. It's extremely hard to go from one to the other, and all of them have made an attempt to learn English, because they all speak it. This is not a situation like Sin Cara (Mistico) where he just flat out told the company he wasn't going to learn English.

Thirdly, Brock Lesnar does not speak one word, not ONE WORD on 99% of the occasions that he's on television. As far as a new fan is concerned who's only seen Brock in the last year, for all they know he was born in Norway and can't speak a lick of English. Now you tell me one good fucking reason why Brock Lesnar can never speak a damn word and still be pushed like Brock Lesnar, because he's got Heyman doing all of his talking for him, but you can't push Asuka and Kairi Sane when they've got Paige to cut their promos.
Besides Brock looking like a superhuman freak out of a comic book, not much difference, I guess. Although I'm not gonna defend Brock, he's an average/below average draw at best these days and his usefulness has pretty much expired.

·
Registered
455 Posts
First of all, picking apples and picking oranges would only require you to take them off the branch, so that doesn't make any sense.

And no, it is your fault. If you hire Michael Jordan to be a baseball player, that's not Mikes fault, that's your fault. You were stupid enough to hire somebody who was woefully unqualified for the job that YOU asked them to perform.

And again, I don't think you realize how different Japanese and English are. There's only one person I've EVER heard from Japan who speaks clear, fluent English and that's Fumi Saito who is the Japanese wrestling expert for the Observer, and he's been speaking English for like 40 years, and even then, he still doesn't speak it with the exact same clarity as you and I do where we can talk a mile a minute. Every other Japanese person I've ever seen speaking English sounds like Asuka and Nakamura, and I've heard a lot of them. It takes fucking for-ev-er. This is not English to French or English to German. The fact that they speak it at all is a miracle.
Monolingual speakers or those who have not studied linguistics will not understand where you're coming from..

Indeed the further apart the languages are, the harder it will be, and age plays a role somewhat - these aren't kids rolling in the WWE from Japan. I'm on my 4th year of Finnish(Finnic) which is miles away from English(Indo-European), and I still have to think about how I should say something, or tripping up on the grammar. Native speakers of the target language do not always make the process any easier.. some of them make it a living nightmare - no doubt learning English is daunting for these people, especially in America, where lots of us value clear and concise communication.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts