Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 10 years ago Gail Kim was the on-screen boyfriend of Daniel Bryan around the same time he was being managed by the Bellas. She was asked if she noticed Bryan and Brie hitting it off early on when she joined The Wrestling Inc Daily.
"I don't remember noticing so much but I think they got together quickly after that," recalled Kim. "I always thought that they were a great match. They are really great humans and really down to earth. Their daughter is just the cutest that could be."
Kim added that the Bellas totally deserve to be in the WWE Hall of Fame as they have done so much for the business.
"A couple of weeks ago someone said that they were part of the Divas Search and I didn't even remember that. They got rid of that stigma and they've made a brand out of themselves," Kim said before mentioning all of the side projects they've done.
"They are truly an inspiration to other women in the business."
Kim is now part of a project called KAYFABE alongside Christy Hemme and Lita. It is a drama TV series chronicling a women's wrestler and Kim was asked about comparisons between it and GLOW.
"We love GLOW but we would say it's like a gritty, modern-day GLOW. If you remember, GLOW was run by a man so this is a whole different perspective," stated Kim. "I feel like GLOW has a different audience with it as there are a lot of wrestling fans who watch it but it also has a mainstream audience. I think a lot of the true, mainstream wrestling fans will truly be drawn to this. We haven't seen anything that's really modern as we've seen incarnations of different women's wrestling promotions. Mainstream wrestling already has so much wrestling – WWE, Impact, ROH – but we feel like we're completely different and something that no one has ever seen before."
Chavo Guerrero is a link between the two as he is the fight coordinator for GLOW and is also a contributor to KAYFABE. Kim talked about his involvement in the project.
"Chavo was a natural choice for us. He's always been all of their friends since our WWE days. He's always been like one of the girls as he's been a huge [women's] wrestling supporter," revealed Kim. "If you look at our whole team, we're all in alignment with that. Everyone that we chose was our first choice and everyone said 'Yes.'
"It was great to see that everyone was so excited to be a part of something different in that women are leading it. They supported that and wanted to be a part of that – that was very encouraging. Not only, of course, do we want women supporting women, but it's really important for us to show the men supporting the women."
Gail Kim, along with Christy Hemme and Amy "Lita" Dumas, have launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for their current "KAYFABE" project. For more information, or to donate, please visit KAYfABE."
Gail's full interview with Wrestling Inc aired as part of a recent episode of our podcast, The Wrestling Inc. Daily. Subscribe to get the latest episodes as soon as it's released Monday - Friday afternoon: by clicking here.
Source: Gail Kim Calls The Bellas "An Inspiration" To Female Pro Wrestlers Ahead Of WWE Hall Of Fame - Wrestling Inc.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This is strange. Maybe she's trying to get in the hall of fame or something? First Michelle, now Gail. if all these diva era girls are going to start trying to get back in the media, my body is ready for layla!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
meh - neither are great on the mic or in the ring. There are ladies out there that are better in the ring, or better on the mic, or are better looking. Yet, the Bellas were somehow able to milk what they have into a successful WWE run, their own TV show, fame and riches..

I guess that's either sad or inspirational, depending on how you look at it...

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
13,556 Posts
The Bellas can't talk and they can't wrestle. It's staggering to me that anyone cares about them at all, let alone considers them valuable or important in any way.
But unlike Gail they could draw money, move merch, and get a mass crowd reaction. Gail is the only chick you can drop in a wwe ring in her career and it not matter if she was with a Bella, Trish, Lita, Stacy, Torrie, Kelly, Melina, Mickie .. she got crickets to the point no one one noticed her eliminating herself out the company

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I still remember when the Bella's were the arm candy of whatever c list celebrity they could to go on Raw during all of 2009. A dark time for sure but they did everything they were asked despite probably hating every minute of it.

Sure they deserve the hall of fame.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,700 Posts
But unlike Gail they could draw money, move merch, and get a mass crowd reaction. Gail is the only chick you can drop in a wwe ring in her career and it not matter if she was with a Bella, Trish, Lita, Stacy, Torrie, Kelly, Melina, Mickie .. she got crickets to the point no one one noticed her eliminating herself out the company
Draw money? Some of you people are hilarious. Show me the data that proves that the Bellas were draws while they were wrestling full-time.

I can’t wait for this one.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Nikki became quite good before she left. That being said, Gail's comment was in regard to how they've branded themselves not ring-work. "They got rid of that stigma and they've made a brand out of themselves," Kim said before mentioning all of the side projects they've done.

The transition from wrestling to other forms of entertainment or business largely doesn't work out, I'd argue especially for women. They've become legit celebrities and a brand in their own right. When you look at it that way, yes, I can see why Gail (and the other women in the industry) would find that inspiring.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
i dont hate them but the bella's brand was built outside of the ring the biggest storyline they had was when brie fought stephanie at summerslam or when nikkie teamed with cena at WM which wouldn't of happened had they not been with bryan and cena and while nikki was a 2 times champ she never was the top dog of the division like Becky/Alexa/Charlotte have been over the years

their big inspiration for other women imo is to set up for life after WWE

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,073 Posts
Gail has no reason to lie. If anything you'd expect her to trash the Bellas as she generally has little positive to say about anything WWE related.

But cue all the angry, generic, unoriginal, incapable of an original thought Indy smarks claiming they know better.

·
Southern Pride
2,920 Posts
People often are short sighted as to what all it takes to be successful in wrestling. Especially in the WWE. It's more than "moves" in the ring. Trish Stratus is an example of that. Every guy was drooling over her during the prime of her career and now they only want everyone to know how good she was in the ring instead of when she was flaunting herself.

The Bella Twins got WWEs attention originally from their aspirations in entertainment. Nikki Bella especially transitioned in to being good in the ring before her neck injury. It's just that she was dating John Cena that clouded over her improvement.

The Bella Twins really did develop themselves in to having their own successful brand and their are still a lot of people that care about them. Now they are successful outside of wrestling. Gail Kim probably looks at them and wishes that she had the same thing.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
They're not but very nice of Gail to put them over. The Bellas did nothing of relevance at any point in time in my opinion. Their entire career is simply them just taking up space and being attractive but they didn't have the same legacy or appeal as past divas like Sable, Torrie Wilson, Stacy Keibler, Candice, etc. They did improve but they are almost as generic as Kelly Kelly. Their selling point was they were twins and much more attractive and marketable than the Blossom Twins who were the only other female twin gimmick in the wrestling world at the time.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Gail Kim said:
"A couple of weeks ago someone said that they were part of the Divas Search and I didn't even remember that. They got rid of that stigma and they've made a brand out of themselves," Kim said before mentioning all of the side projects they've done.
They didn't though. There were already numerous women from the Diva search who were breaking that stigma. As much as I don't care for Michelle Mccool, she already did that. Candice did too.

Gail Kim said:
they shouldn't be because their selling point is being twins. If they weren't twins, they wouldn't have reached the level of success they have. I can recognize they improved over the years but that's not a realistic inspiration to people in my opinion.

Gail Kim said:
If you remember, GLOW was run by a man so this is a whole different perspective," stated Kim.
virtue signaling

Gail Kim said:
"Chavo was a natural choice for us. He's always been all of their friends since our WWE days. He's always been like one of the girls as he's been a huge [women's] wrestling supporter," revealed Kim.
no heterosexual man would appreciate being described as "one of the girls". She could have chose her words better when putting him over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts