Wrestling Forum banner

Gabriel should be getting Otunga's push: fact or fiction?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a major "WTF" moment for WWE, they've decided to push Otunga as the great babyface to emerge from Nexus, despite the fact he is A) terrible, B) has not been booked strongly, and C) is not over in the least.

Gabriel, on the other hand, is clearly the best worker in the whole Nexus, has been consistently booked to look like a legit threat - his 450 has killed half the Raw roster it seems - and he's a natural born babyface. On top of that, Gabriel can actually talk somewhat decently, whereas Otunga remains laughably horrible despite increased opportunities to prove himself. He still looks like he's reading off a teleprompter in a 7th grade drama class.

He may be "Botchtunga," but WWE made the botch when they pushed Otunga as the face instead of Gabriel. Aside from Otunga being the runner-up on NXT1, there was nothing else here that made this decision look like it made any sense.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
WWE should send them both back to FCW. Gabriel isn't as bad as Otunga, but he's still boring as hell to me.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Gabriel isn't mass appeal as Otunga nor does he need as much to get over. It'd work, of course. But Gabriel can get by on his own. Otunga doesn't deserve the push, he needs and wwf finds him marketable.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Can he hold a mic without dropping it and ruining a worth wild segment if so then yes he should have the spot.

·
Asuka
96,571 Posts
I don't really know if I see Otunga getting a huge push off this, but if he does, don't worry. WWE will eventually de-push him. He might have to accidentally cripple someone before they stop, but he'll keep fucking up and they'll realize their mistake.

I couldn't care less about Gabriel either, though.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Yes, I haven't had a chance to hear Gabriel on the mic much but I think he will really come into his own when the Nexus angle is over next year, that is if WWE gives him the chance. He's got the look and the in-ring skills to be a future main eventer.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Gabriel is obviously the wrestler deserving of the push, but at the same time I think he's been great as a highflying heel, so I'm happy that he's going to remain in Nexus.

I see it as a bit of a blessing. The guy who's got no talent about to be off on his own, who's not ready and set to fail miserably. Meanwhile, Gabriel continues as Barrett's loyal follower. But when the inevitable complete collapse of Nexus occurs later in the piece, Gabriel should and will be the one to challenge Barrett.

Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway. For all I know, Nexus will implode and be no more at Survivor Series at the hands of Otunga. God, I hope not.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Didn't watch raw so I didn't read this thread to avoid spoilers but I just wanted to add my 2 cents which is Gabriel isn't a "go getta" like Otunga is. Otunga takes advantage of every opportunity he gets, and aside from in the ring because his wrestling ability rivals Wade Barrett.

Justin Gabriel is being pushed as like Wade Barrett's BFF and most trusted member because with his talking ability he wouldn't be able to sell a storyline that he's power hungry or jealous of Barett.

Justin Gabriel > David Otunga in about everything except talking, but I don't think this kind of storyline would fit him.

Let's look at otunga's past on the mic. He was shortly "allied" with Batista when he turned his back on Cena in that Raw tag-match during NXT season 1. He gave Batista a little bit of lip, the special guest host that night was david hasslehoff who otunga didn't seem impressed with at all when they met on cam. In the small amount of time he's got in Nexus to shine he has done very well at selling his role and showing genuine distention in Nexus on his part. Gabriel on the mic seems like he's just trying not to screw up.

Of course in the ring they are the exact opposite. Problem is that teaching wrestling (enough to be a main eventer on raw) is easier than teaching great public speaking and confidence with the english language enough to inspire people and show charisma all the time.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
I haven't watched tonight's Raw yet but I said on Friday night that Otunga is probably gonna get punked for coming up short last week. As for him being a waste of time as a face...I'll say this one thing on that. When they had him be resistent to Barrett a few weeks ago when he was surrounded by Barrett, Husky, and Perfect Jr, the crowd legitimately was behind him but booed as soon as he said "he was Nexus". He's not really good enough in the ring to be getting pushed on any level really but it is what it is.

Gabriel is somebody the crowd is gonna get behind..he's already pops for the 450..the REAL finisher of the year.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I've been saying this since a long time ago that Gabriel would have been a better suited guy in Otunga's shoes right now. All about Gabriel just screams babyface to me, and he doesn't suck on the mic as proven in his NXT elimination speech he was able to deliver a very emotional promo which the crowds reacted nicely. The man just needs more time and opportunities to get used to handling the mic. Otunga is clearly not ready yet to get a push such as a man who stands on his own feet against the Nexus (if he will get indeed kicked out from Nexus this friday), he will have a big responsibility to be able to keep the crowds behind him which i highly doubt he'll be capable to do because he just doesn't have what it takes when it comes to settling it all down inside the ring while Gabriel is clearly more than capable to do it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
i thought gabriel was a natural born face too, but then came the nexus ... gabriel could be a good heel, he has that dark look about him.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
What if Gabrielle was offered the spot but was then told the huge importance of not screwing up in segments or making live promo look stupid. And gabrielle said nah this role ain't for me.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Gabriel is obviously the wrestler deserving of the push, but at the same time I think he's been great as a highflying heel, so I'm happy that he's going to remain in Nexus.

I see it as a bit of a blessing. The guy who's got no talent about to be off on his own, who's not ready and set to fail miserably. Meanwhile, Gabriel continues as Barrett's loyal follower. But when the inevitable complete collapse of Nexus occurs later in the piece, Gabriel should and will be the one to challenge Barrett.

Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway. For all I know, Nexus will implode and be no more at Survivor Series at the hands of Otunga. God, I hope not.
I'm with you.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I really, highly doubt a push will come from this. Otunga lost to John Cena, and is going up against Edge on SmackDown!. How will that garner sympathy from any fans?

They're not pushing him. They're getting rid of his presence on TV. He's gonna get punked by Edge, and that's gonna be it. Otunga does not have the upside to get the fans behind him. You need tangible qualities. He doesn't have those.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
While Gabriel is one of my favorite wrestlers and as much as I would love to see him assume the babyface role, he's doing fine as Barrett's right-hand man in Nexus. It's to soon to break him away from the faction.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,154 Posts
While I'm fairly certain they're going to push Otunga sooner or later, and we're already seeing the groundwork for that, I'm not in any way sure that Otunga's actually to be turned face. Otunga just seems so despicable. He's a leech who's where he's at because of who he's with in his "real life" (which they made part of his onscreen character), he's always being a narcissistic pain in the ass, almost making Wade Barrett kind of sympathetic by contrast since at least Barrett is the kind of bastard villain you have to respect, but Otunga's like a petulant child who wants the spotlight (please, don't give him Batista's last heel gimmick, WWE) and has been shown to be an awful, crippling "leader" and someone who's unable to back up all of his talk between the ropes.

I think, sadly, WWE sees a future star in the guy, but I'm not convinced that he's going to be turned face and be posited as Barrett's ascending rival/foe in the coming weeks and months. To me, they're utilizing Otunga to create a wildcard dynamic within Nexus and to possibly give Cena some kind of opening and/or supply a quotient of "unpredictability" to the Survivor Series finish. If there's a guy whose role Otunga may be stealing, it could very well be Darren Young's. Young was exiled from Nexus and it would have been great for him is they had used that non-Nexus status at a certain point to turn the tide in Barrett's favor (the Hell in a Cell match was calling for that but they went in a different direction with Husky and Hennig). I can see Otunga being given the outsider role wherein he plays a thorn in just about everybody's side, but as a result of his splitting off, the first major crack in the foundation of Nexus is exposed (guys like Tarver and Sheffield perhaps joining up with him or what have you).

I could also see Otunga beating Edge, with Kane costing Edge the match. That way they get to keep Otunga in Nexus and let that be that, and give more fuel to the Edge/Kane feud over on Smackdown.

I actually think Justin Gabriel's inevitable face turn should be held off until we get to the genuine final act of the Nexus storyline, since it's evident from the way they've promoted the guy that he's going to be a pretty big deal in the future, almost surely as a face.

There is the discouraging possibility that you're right, though, Cynic, and that they are indeed moving to turn Otunga face and be the probable future direct nemesis of Barrett. I hope it isn't true but I can see how it's possible. I hope WWE considers my earlier points, however. Otunga's just not a likable guy. While he's been undermining and resisting Barrett's rule, he's done so in irresponsible and distinctly unheroic ways. Of course, he could "see the light" and change his ways but unless Otunga has some major acting chops he's been hiding from the world, I don't think he can pull it off.

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
If you mean that Otunga is going to recieve a huge face push and Gabriel should be the one in his position, I would agree. Because as someone else (vincent k.) said, Gabriel would be more natural and more of a perfect pick for the role.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I don't think this is a push about to happen, I think it's a kick in the ass on the way out the door about to happen, or at least back to developemental.

Gabriel is going to be a big star, with or without the bitch treatment. He will put on some of the better matches in the E for quite a while. Otunga is just a tool being used. He'll lose to Edge, get the boot, and have some kind of influence over what happens at Survivor Series--either somehow costing Wade the win, or maybe jumping Barrett if he wins the belt along with Cena, softening him up, and assisting Miz in a cash in. Then I think he'll vanish for a while shortly after.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts