Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave Meltzer:

Some notes from a conversation with Dixie Carter after she and Eric Bischoff met with Spike TV officials in New York on 4/11. Regarding taping TV on the road, she said they definitely want to do it and need to do it but it costs nearly $500,000 in total for them to tape on the road and they can’t put the company through that kind of financial drain, particularly if it doesn’t work out. She said over the next few weeks you’ll be seeing changes in how the TV is presented. Among the changes that started this week is that one episode per month (the first being the 4/18 taping that airs on 4/26) will be Open Fight Night. The idea is that a new wrestler will debut, and that new person will pick his opponent. All TNA wrestlers have to answer if they are challenged. They will have three judges as well as Hulk Hogan who will watch their match and determine if they get a contract. In addition, anyone on the roster can issue a challenge for any title. There will be more focus on younger talent. She categorized the recent period of pushing younger talent on top and somewhat lower ratings as an investment in the future and pushing home grown stars. She talked about needing a second television show saying two hours isn’t enough per week. Two good hours is more than enough. Four bad hours isn’t enough. She noted that in other parts of the world they have two shows on per week. She said they are in constant contact with Bjorn Rebney (Bellator) and both talk of ideas to help each other. She said they would be doing more training camps on the road, noting that’s how they found Jesse Sorensen and Crimson. She said she thinks 12 PPV shows a year are too many and expects the number to be lowered in the next year or two. She expects more international touring by 2013, mentioning Mexico and Australia as target markets. She said the idea of 100 to 110 live events per year with 10-15 of them overseas is a target. She said she thinks Sting is in for the long haul and will be back in 2013.
Hopefully those costs put an end of the "they need to get out of IMPACT zone" talk.

·
Registered
895 Posts
LOL, they dont, because TNA needs to get out of Orlando to succeed, or else, they will be considered a glorified indy company based of Orlando.
What TNA needs is a new investor, thats what they need, someone with money that wants TNA to grow, not Panda Energy, a company that doesnt care about TNA at all.

·
Banned
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, they dont, because TNA needs to get out of Orlando to succeed, or else, they will be considered a glorified indy company based of Orlando.
What TNA needs is a new investor, thats what they need, someone with money that wants TNA to grow, not Panda Energy, a company that doesnt care about TNA at all.
If Panda didn't care they would have pulled the plug years ago. No investor would invest 1/2 million a show to a loss leading enterprise.

Seems TNA has reached to the too big to be small and too small to big point touring wise.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
OFN is too much. They should slim down the concept. Zema Ion can call out Robert Roode and the WHC will have to be defended? Kinda devalues number one contenders? If I was a wrestler why would I care about winning a battle royale or triple threat to become number 1 contender when I can just sit on my duff...do nothing for a few weeks and then show up to Impact and call out the WHC?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I fail to see how Australia would be a viable tour target, given they couldn't sell tickets a few years ago when their ratings were higher and DVD exposure was far greater.

·
Registered
851 Posts
OFN is too much. They should slim down the concept. Zema Ion can call out Robert Roode and the WHC will have to be defended? Kinda devalues number one contenders? If I was a wrestler why would I care about winning a battle royale or triple threat to become number 1 contender when I can just sit on my duff...do nothing for a few weeks and then show up to Impact and call out the WHC?
Has it been stated that the title has to be defended?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
If their product was marketable enough and they had adequate sponsoring, those weekly costs for holding shows on the road wouldn't be so bad and would get them away from that asinine IZ which diminishes your IQ every time you watch Impact.

:lmao at wanting to tour to Australia when their last our failed to sell 500 tickets to the Sydney show, in a 22000 capacity arena.

The ONF concept is intriguing, but I don't see it lasting long

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If people were actually interested in TNA as a product they'd be able to sell enough tickets to TV tapings on the road to cover the costs to have them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
there is no way it would be 500000 fo r one show that would mean tna would need 10000 people to show up at 50 a ticket

·
Registered
925 Posts
there is no way it would be 500000 fo r one show that would mean tna would need 10000 people to show up at 50 a ticket
There's also merchandise sells as well but either way that's a lot of tickets that need to be sold in order for the show not to be in the red. Now, if they got Spike TV to chip in and give them some money to have tapings outside of Orlando it would be a different story but seen as how TV on the road doesn't result in better ratings it's easy to see why Spike isn't willing to pony up the cash.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If any of that is true there are some good ideas there. Better a few PPVs done well, than more done badly.

Pushing younger guys on the roster - good.

I like the "showcase new Indy guys" thing but not sure about the judging panel - win or lose should do it. I don't want to watch a wrestling version of American Idol.

Agree the "anyone can call anyone out" thing seems a bit strange. I'd rather see more BFG style championships where you see strange tag teams put together and guys fighting it out to get to the top of the board. That seemed to work quite well last year. That said, I wouldn't mind the "call anyone out" thing if it was linked to the Indy guys idea and restricted to only the non-roster talent. That would be interesting. As has already been said, having anyone being able to do it kind of ruins the whole number one contender idea.

I think Dixie seems aware of the issues TNA is facing. It's just she is restricted by financial considerations. That said, there is a lot of internal management things she could do that would make big differences and would probably save money (cutting deadweight from the roster, having a clearer, unified booking vision etc) which she doesn't seem willing to take on.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
Fire RVD.

That would pay for a couple of on the road tapings.

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
First and foremost, Dave Meltzer and Dixie Carter seems to have a good relationship. I wonder where is all the Meltzer haters now.

TNA will always be stuck in neutral because they can't bring Impact on the road. TNA should really consider doing outside Impact's for the summer to at least switch it up for awhile.

I can't wait for the monthly ppv era to be over. It's too much. Obviously, they not making a profit off pay per views.

I think Dixie should consider another show, but a show gear towards tv pg.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
First and foremost, Dave Meltzer and Dixie Carter seems to have a good relationship. I wonder where is all the Meltzer haters now.

TNA will always be stuck in neutral because they can't bring Impact on the road. TNA should really consider doing outside Impact's for the summer to at least switch it up for awhile.

I can't wait for the monthly ppv era to be over. It's too much. Obviously, they not making a profit off pay per views.

I think Dixie should consider another show, but a show gear towards tv pg.
Meltzer is still a bullshitting douche, nothing has changed. The same for those who believe everything his rag puts out.

If this report is true, and its a very big IF, then it seems that Dixie is on the right page and understands what needs to be done.

Not panicking about ratings and continuing to push younger guys and create stars, trying to go on the road more, and cutting down the number of PPVs are exactly what is needed.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
TNA need to carry on doing what they are doing, keep slowly growing. When the number of PPVs goes down then they can look at redistributing that money into putting Impact on the road more often.

·
Banned
2,408 Posts
Brilliant idea... take the thing that is supposed to be the company's main source of revenue and reduce it down by 30-50%. (Of course, I'm talking about PPVs.) Anyone who thinks they'll magically improve by cutting down on the number of them is deluding themselves. They aren't going to improve at all as long as the people in charge are entirely focused on TEH RATINGZ!! (*coughBischoffcough*)
I find the $500k bill for going on the road laughable. Rent smaller arenas, cut out the dead weight (Hogan, RVD, etc.), learn to pipeline, and, most importantly, put out a product people want to pay to see.
Why do I have a feeling OFN will become a disaster? It's been done before, and we got Taylor Wilde as a result. Gods... And it could even mean Garrett could challenge Roode for the belt.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts