Wrestling Forum banner

From an emotional standpoint, Can The Undertaker's retirement top that of Daniel Bryan's?

• Yes

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 49.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
I don't think Taker does a retirement speech , I can only see him doing something for the HOF but a speech on RAW? I can't see them doing that

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
For me, yes easily.

It doesn't matter how they retire whether they're being forced to because of injury or on their own terms, a retirement is sad and emotional either way. Taker has meant more to WWE's history than Bryan did and knowing he'll never wrestle again, not even part time anymore after 25 iconic years will have me way more down. Plus he's one of my favourite wrestlers.

At the end of the day, it really depends on who you like more. Hardcore Bryan fans will be more upset for Bryan's retirement over Taker's and that's okay too.

·
Devoted Blissfit
1,095 Posts
The Undertaker is old so his retirement is expected and therefore won't be as emotionally charged.

Daniel Bryan's a young guy who really wants to keep wrestling, but can't, so his retirement really hurt people.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What took away from Daniel Bryans was the fact it was obvious he was gonna retire about November. Still sad that a person can no longer do what he loves doing.
The Undertaker on the other hand is a phenomenon, he's special. For 26 years he's been Mr wwe. Sure you've had bigger stars during his time but he is the 1 consistent. Just the idea when Undertaker retires that'll be the last we see him. It'll be quite emotional and a lot of old fans will tune in to see the last of their era go.
But we still have Kane, and Big Show :regal

·
Absolute Scumbag.
4,016 Posts
Of course, Taker is a legend, db was a midcarder who had one good push and couldn't withstand the pressures of the main event scene.

Taker was a childhood favorite, when the deadman signals it's the last ride its gonna be the true end of an era

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm sure Taker's retirement wouldn't be sad. It would be badass.
Also why compare Bryan to Taker? Ric Flair's retirement including his match at Mania 24 was much more emotional.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Nah, not for me. Bryan's was tough to take as him having to retire early was pretty heartbreaking. 'Taker's had a 32 year or so career, countless 'Mania moments, loads of classic feuds & matches, title runs, etc. To a degree I even look forward to 'Taker's retirement.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
No. Not just because of the circumstances of Daniel Bryan's retirement, but Undertaker's career post-Streak has been pretty dire, bar his match with Brock at Hell in a Cell last year.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Considering Undertaker has lasted through the "golden era", "new generation era", "attitude era", and the "ruthless aggression" era up until now, it will be much more emotional for me. Without question.

·
Registered
22,201 Posts
Are we going to start comparing Bryan's retirement to everyone. Should I get the jump on who's retirement is bigger between Bryan and Rock?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
No doubt, unless they put effort into making it suck which WWE is capable of.

For me, from the top of my head.

Edge > Henry's Fake Retirement > D'bry;

Not taking anything away from Daniel Bryan's legacy & his sound farewell, it was great .. but if we're "ranking" them, D'brys was kind of sealed a long time ago, it wasn't a shock & it was more of a confirmation than an anticipation of "Is Edge retiring!? what?, or Henry nooo!" .. much like if Christian came back for a retirement speech, it's more of a final farewell then a "here it comes, what's going to happen".

Undertaker's will be the end of a road, & he has many intangibles of whether to break character which makes it great to look forward to.

imo.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Absolutely, by a long way. So many of us have grown up being awed by the Undertaker's mere presence on our TV screens. Even though he has become less and less frequently involved in the last few years, reconciling with the fact that this is it would definitely be a bit tough for any WWF/E fan who has followed the product for years and years. One of the strongest pillars of WWE/F and of pro-wrestling/sports entertainment in general.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Retiring because of injury or because youve been there for 25 years.

One gave a emotional speech, where he reaffirms his likeability. The other will probably be carried away by druids.

Guess it depends on who you like more.

Bryan.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Of course. I'm chucking at people saying "no man, Dbry all the way." Ask this question to non-internet wrestle forum, non indie-obsessed, workrate junkies, basically ask any general wrestling fan hell... even any non-wrestling fan and your answers will be WAY different.

The only answer is Undertaker's retirement will be the single most emotional and meaningful retirement to date or at least it should be. Not taking anything away from Daniel Bryan, the performer he is and the sad and unfortunate circumstances of his retirement but come on. Undertaker is a 2 and a half decade long conglomerate. He's a pillar within sports entertainment. He's not just a good performer saying "ok I'm done now," his ending will be the end of the greatest character ever and also the ending of the era of sports entertainment as we know/knew it. Even non-Taker fans should see the humongous significance of what his final end would mean and feel great emotion from it. Undertaker stands for the Golden Era (where maybe your favs were Savage, Hogan or Piper), he stands for the Next Generation (where maybe you were all about Bret Hart), The Attitude Era (where maybe Stone Cold and the Rock were your thing), Ruthless Aggression (Shane, Edge, Eddie) and now modern times in this social media world. He's still kickin it. If you're a fan of any of that and have an emotional tie to any of those performers and moments in time then the end of Undertaker as truly the last soldier standing for it all, should hit you hard.

The end of Undertaker will be the end of things as we know it. And unlike Bryan it won't be sudden and sad in the context of what could have been of course. Instead it will represent ending and finality in a way wrestling fans haven't seen yet and will leave an empty feeling. He will be the end of an era, the true end of ALL the eras of what made Sports Entertainment what it is put together. Since he's begun the threat of the lights going out, the bell tolling and someone getting their ass kicked has always hung like a spectre over ever arena. Even when he's not around, his presence always is and there is always that question "will Taker return here? will the bell toll?" It's ALWAYS a possibility, even at some house shows as we've seen in the past. Being told once and for all with finality that we as fans will NEVER again hear that tolling bell, the possibility of him returning is over and finished forever, will be incredibly emotional when we've been so used to it since it's all we've ever known as wrestling fans since many of us have been alive.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is this a legit question? Bryana retirement was nothing special and we all know deep down inside that he was done. Edges was more emotional then bryans
taker is the GOAT. His retirement is gonna be the saddest single moment in the professional wrestling world.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts