Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst the WWE have impressed in many ways over the past few months, there’s no denying the fact that they could do with a “Freshen Up” of their overall product. What I mean when I say this is that their product as an overall package has grown stale. The way everything is presented just doesn’t work anymore. The format and theme of the WWE is in need of a complete overhaul. The brand split is more or less non-existent, there’s way too many pay per views, the titles lack prestige, even the way both Raw and Smackdown have identical sets just doesn’t work as far as I’m concerned (mind, all of this may just be my opinion which none of you share). Over the years Vince McMahon has proven that he’s more than capable of moving with the times, keeping up with pop culture and adapting his product when it grew stale (Attitude Era, Brand Extension) but in recent year’s he seems to have failed to do this. The WWE product could really do with a little freshening up right now and introducing a brand new exciting and innovative concept for them to base their ideas around (like the Brand Extension in 2002). I don’t think re-defining the brand extension and giving both brands their own unique identities and exclusive rosters again is the right way to go as I feel the WWE really need to move forward as opposed to living off of past ideas (the same goes to those who keep crying out for the return of “Attitude”, it worked in the late 90’s when the WWE needed to adapt in order to compete with WCW but it’s not what they need now).

As a starting point I feel that ending the brand split once and for all whilst unifying the two World titles at the same time is the way to go. We’ve had the brand extension for almost a whole decade now, as have we had two World Championships for just as long. Unifying the titles may not be the best way to help build the vast amount of wrestlers on their roster into main event stars, but it will definitely help add to the prestige of the title as having everybody work towards one title is a lot more effective and builds a lot more prestige around being a world champion than having two world titles. For example, I wouldn’t consider Alberto Del Rio or Mark Henry anywhere in the same league as World Champions as I would have Steve Austin or The Rock during the 90’s. As a World Champion in the 90’s, the Rock and Austin where clearly the best in the WWE at that time and you really got the feeling that they were true champions, whereas nowadays I just don’t get that feeling by having two world champions.

As far as ending the brand extension, I feel this is a necessary step for the WWE to take in order to move into a new era. Whilst it could be argued this would make it harder for WWE to develop talent and give everybody on their roster TV time, I would disagree as they had no problem developing wrestlers before the brand split and could stick those lower down the card on Superstars to give them TV time. Just cut dead weight from the roster and you no longer have to worry about fitting everybody in. However, the two changes I’ve highlighted are just the starting point of freshening up the WWE’s increasingly stale product as far as I’m concerned. They still need to come up with that original, unique idea to rejuvenate their overall product and give us fans that feeling of excitement and being at the beginning of something big like we have felt in the past as fans.

I would love to hear your opinions on the matter and what you thing the WWE should do in order to freshen up their product, and if you even feel it needs freshened up for that matter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In my opinion, ending the brand split would not have that much impact. The Supershow format is working out pretty well; superstars are crossing over all the damn time anyway (Randy Orton on Raw, Alberto Del Rio main eventing on Smackdown etc).

I don't really have a problem with two world titles, but I can definitely see your point that consolidating the world titles through reunification again might give guys like Alberto Del Rio or Mark Henry a bigger and more memorable push, since you would have a much bigger pool of main eventers to feud with like John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Sheamus, The Miz, Christian, R Truth, Wade Barrett etc who would all be duking it out for one title. Match quality might improve with so much diversity to choose from; it won't be like Orton vs Christian or Orton vs Mark Henry for the billionth stale time in a row when you also have Punk, Sheamus, Miz etc at your doorstep.

I think the bigger issue is that the writers need to be a lot more creative and think outside the box. Ever since The Rock came back and CM Punk delivered that shoot promo, the storylines have been a lot more interesting, but they still have a lot of work to do in terms of keeping things fresh: they need to focus on pushing the envelope by showing us fresh and innovative storylines we haven't seen before. They've lost a lot of the momentum that CM Punk built himself.

Another way to freshen up the WWE is to utilize all the talent they are currently ignoring. Yoshi Tatsu, Tyler Reks, Drew Mcintyre are actually pretty damn entertaining; they just need to be given some opportunities and Bam, you've just reinvigorated the midcard by adding some entertaining faces into the mix.

Alot of the superstars need to reinvent their gimmicks. Kofi Kingston needs to evolve, John Cena needs to evolve, Randy Orton needs to evolve, Evan Bourne, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, Daniel Bryan, all of them need to change.

The Diva's division was got somewhat exciting again when the Natalya and Beth Phoenix heel turn happened, but lost alot of that momentum as well. Biggest issue is the quality of the matches; I don't know if what Gail Kim said in her shoot interview was true. If so, someone needs to fight to get rid of those restrictions that have been imposed on the diva's division. The simple solution, again, is to introduce new faces. Why continue to overexpose Kelly Kelly vs Beth Phoenix when you can build girls like AJ, a girl who is young talent, looks pretty and has a fresh in-ring style?

However, I will say that so many things have improved since the whole CM Punk shoot. WWE has started to listen to fans: Zack Ryder has been getting more attention, CM Punk has been getting attention, a lil more attitude in the storylines, Sheamus getting a nice push, Tag Team division is building up, even though for the life of me I cannot understand why they are not investing in The Uso Brothers, the only true tag team they really have (and they are entertaining as hell too).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts