Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple places reporting it, but apparently FOX is looking to air NXT on FS1 to compete head to head with AEW.

"Fox is also in talks to bring the WWE NXT brand to TV. There's been speculation on NXT airing on FS1, head-to-head with AEW's weekly TNT show, but that has not been confirmed. As previously reported, FS1 will also air a weekly WWE studio show on Tuesdays with Renee Young as the host."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/07/big-wwe-smackdown-fox-updates-656488/

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
On the one hand, it could mean a good boost in the paycheck for the guys and girls in NXT and give them more exposure to a wider audience. That's a good thing..

On the other hand, it would likely mean that NXT would get the attention of Vince and Dunne and they would screw it up as badly as they've screwed up Raw and Smackdown.. That's a bad thing..

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,464 Posts
This would be exciting.

This would have to be a blow to AEW. NXT/AEW must be the biggest overlap when it comes to the overall WWE "package". I can buy AEW fans not watching RAW/SD, but they are probably watching NXT.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
It. Won't. Matter.

Or it will help AEW. I mean it will have WWE fans in front of the television looking to watch wrestling at the same time as AEW is on another station. In a NXT lull this fan might flip over to AEW.

Also NXT is taped 4-5 hour shows at a time. Will Fox want it taped live each week to go head to head with live AEW? AEW will be 2 hours, NXT is one hour - either you have a situation where NXT ends and there is still an hour of AEW programming for this fan to then flip over to, or NXT will need to expand to two hours.

And that 2 hour expansion is a problem with in itself - it's another hour of time commitment wwe is demanding from it's viewer. Right now I can be a AEW fan, sit down and watch the totality of it's program and storytelling in two hours a week. If I want to keep up to date and immersed in the totality of the WWE storylines, which you do in order to understand the PPV's and new talent and cross brand feuds and the like - you have 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of SDL, now two hours of NXT, one hour of 205Live (not counting NXT UK and Main Event) that is 8 hours a week and then a monthly PPV that is four hours. 36 Hours a month time commitment from WWE or 8 hours for AEW.

WWE is WAY too demanding. Top television shows of all times, the ratings giants were all 1 hour a week 30 weeks a year offerings. Do you think a new fan is going to look to jump into the WWE television show when they need to watch 8 hours a week, 52 weeks a year?

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
On the one hand, it could mean a good boost in the paycheck for the guys and girls in NXT and give them more exposure to a wider audience. That's a good thing..

On the other hand, it would likely mean that NXT would get the attention of Vince and Dunne and they would screw it up as badly as they've screwed up Raw and Smackdown.. That's a bad thing..
I don't see Vince or Kevin having much input on NXT if FOX wants it as it currently stands. I mean Vince is already USA Network's bitch considering how quickly he caves whenever they want something.

Keep in mind that Stephanie and Triple H were the ones who basically landed and got the FOX deal in the first place.

Also the odds of NXT being live are slim to none. The costs would increase substantially, and unless FOX wants to eat those costs, it'll remain in a taped format.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It. Won't. Matter.

Or it will help AEW. I mean it will have WWE fans in front of the television looking to watch wrestling at the same time as AEW is on another station. In a NXT lull this fan might flip over to AEW.

Also NXT is taped 4-5 hour shows at a time. Will Fox want it taped live each week to go head to head with live AEW? AEW will be 2 hours, NXT is one hour - either you have a situation where NXT ends and there is still an hour of AEW programming for this fan to then flip over to, or NXT will need to expand to two hours.

And that 2 hour expansion is a problem with in itself - it's another hour of time commitment wwe is demanding from it's viewer. Right now I can be a AEW fan, sit down and watch the totality of it's program and storytelling in two hours a week. If I want to keep up to date and immersed in the totality of the WWE storylines, which you do in order to understand the PPV's and new talent and cross brand feuds and the like - you have 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of SDL, now two hours of NXT, one hour of 205Live (not counting NXT UK and Main Event) that is 8 hours a week and then a monthly PPV that is four hours. 36 Hours a month time commitment from WWE or 8 hours for AEW.

WWE is WAY too demanding. Top television shows of all times, the ratings giants were all 1 hour a week 30 weeks a year offerings. Do you think a new fan is going to look to jump into the WWE television show when they need to watch 8 hours a week, 52 weeks a year?

You literally only need to watch raw and smackdown to keep up with the payperviews, and even that can be done in 30-45 minutes a week if you’re only hitting the important parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
It. Won't. Matter.

Well only a fraction of fans watch 205 and mainevent. You are assuming nxt would-be two hours but that would be extra cost for fox as shows are bought and paid by the hour.

Nxt would only likely draw 1/4 of 1/5 the viewers of say raw if it aired on usa. Fs1 is a much smaller station that struggled to get 300-400k people to watch live UFC events. It's unknown how many aew will draw once the initial buzz wears off say in December or January..last show this past Saturday drew very little buzz e.g especially compared to second show fyter fest (didn't crack 20,000 searches on Google whereas Extreme rules drew over 200k).

There is no channel hopping these days. If aew is on TNT the aew fans will watch and nxt fans will watch fs1

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This is gonna be serious test for Triple H because it's not secret anymore about how NXT develop their superstar not just as wrestler but as character who can connect to casual audiences and of course, Vince himself, let's admit, anyone who get called up to main roster especially the top name from NXT never look so good in front of Vince's eyeballs.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,224 Posts
Now this would be interesting and a much more appropriate “war” or competition between WWE and AEW. NXT has already been heavily influenced to appeal to the smark/indy crowd. If they can ditch the development aspect and just focus it as a brand with their established stars to compete with AEW, I would view that as a big problem for AEW.

Omega was bitching about having to compete with Evolve, imaging his reaction to go up against NXT.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If NXT goes to FOX, then you know Vince is gonna get super involved. That should work out well.........

1 - 20 of 45 Posts