Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The show will run 51 weeks a year with the only week missing due to the World Series.

There will be a launch show in September to introduce the show and stars to the public.

NXT may be appearing on a FOX channel at some point, likely Fox Sports 1.

WWE will be presented as a legitimate sport with real athletes and a focus on its athletics. It will not be presented as real fights, but as an athletic presentation.

There will be a traveling promotion that will go around the country in a concept similar to the Lex Express.

There is a possibility that the debut episode will be a 20th Anniversary special.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/plan-fox-lists-off-series-ideas-plans-promote-smackdown-live-including-new-announcements/

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,247 Posts
Re: FOX outlines how they’ll present SD; SD won’t air during World Series

"It will not be presented as real fights, but as an athletic presentation."

What the fuck does that mean? When guy 1 kicks guy 2 in the face are the announcers going to say "look at how high he kicked and with precision timing" rather than sell the effect of the kick?

Anybody else get a sinking feeling that Fox is going to take away the best parts of wrestling the drama, the psychology, and focus on indy style mUveZ wrestling?

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts

"It will not be presented as real fights, but as an athletic presentation."

What the fuck does that mean? When guy 1 kicks guy 2 in the face are the announcers going to say "look at how high he kicked and with precision timing" rather than sell the effect of the kick?

Anybody else get a sinking feeling that Fox is going to take away the best parts of wrestling the drama, the psychology, and focus on indy style mUveZ wrestling?
The wording worries me yes. I mean presenting it as more of a legitimate sport is a great way to present wrestling IMO, b/c if you are presenting it as an actual "faux" combat sport, the natural drama and psychology that comes with actual sports is there. I mean hell the UFC does WWE, better than the WWE does right now.

Presenting it as just an "athletic presentation" then its not pro-wrestling or sports entertainment its something all together different and it will fail hard.

I get that the "indy style" isn't for everyone but still with that at the end of the match it is still who wins and who ultimately loses the match in some form or fashion, the way they are wording this, it makes it sound like the outcome of the matches mean absolutely ZERO. that part scares me.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,247 Posts

The wording worries me yes. I mean presenting it as more of a legitimate sport is a great way to present wrestling IMO, b/c if you are presenting it as an actual "faux" combat sport, the natural drama and psychology that comes with actual sports is there. I mean hell the UFC does WWE, better than the WWE does right now.

Presenting it as just an "athletic presentation" then its not pro-wrestling or sports entertainment its something all together different and it will fail hard.

I get that the "indy style" isn't for everyone but still with that at the end of the match it is still who wins and who ultimately loses the match in some form or fashion, the way they are wording this, it makes it sound like the outcome of the matches mean absolutely ZERO. that part scares me.
Chris Jericho once came up with the idea of pro wrestling being scored like Olympic figure skating, where the idea is they aren't trying to convince you they're fighting but rather working together in a choreographed "dance" and they would be rated against another team's performance.

That's all I can think of when I read this.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts

WWE will be presented as a legitimate sport with real athletes and a focus on its athletics. It will not be presented as real fights, but as an athletic presentation.

wtf? a legitmate sport that won't be presented as real fights (contradiction) with real athletes and athletics in the form of athletic presentation. What does that even mean?

so the presentation is not real but will present the althetics in the form of a legitimate sport that isnt shown as real fights with real athletes.

that statement is the most reflective thing of wrestling Ive ever read. Just as convoluted as the real thing (or not as the case may be).

2,279 Posts
Chris Jericho once came up with the idea of pro wrestling being scored like Olympic figure skating, where the idea is they aren't trying to convince you they're fighting but rather working together in a choreographed "dance" and they would be rated against another team's performance.

:reigns3

·
Registered
4,853 Posts

The show will run 51 weeks a year with the only week missing due to the World Series.

There will be a launch show in September to introduce the show and stars to the public.

NXT may be appearing on a FOX channel at some point, likely Fox Sports 1.

There will be a traveling promotion that will go around the country in a concept similar to the Lex Express.

There is a possibility that the debut episode will be a 20th Anniversary special.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/plan-fox-lists-off-series-ideas-plans-promote-smackdown-live-including-new-announcements/
Yeah, all garbage. Just look at where the report is coming from.

I'll wait for FOX to officially announce any details. Until then nothing to see here, all opinions by clickbait scum meltzer.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts

Thats exactly what it sounds like to me. And God I hope thats not what FOX wants :andre

·
Registered
17,391 Posts
So the new Lex Express?

Basically then....a big ass corporate hipster VAN carrying Kofi, throwing contaminated hand-sweated, pancakes around small cities!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

I'd love to see NXT going head-to-head against AEW.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts

Sounds like BS. They're not going to re-do wrestling lol.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts

we wash this much in ordinary liquid.

AND THIS MUCH IN FAIIIIIIRY LIQUID!!!!!

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

What they're trying to do is counter-program what AEW is doing, which is at least FRAME the fights as real important events taken seriously, with a focus on wins & losses etc...It seems to be going well for AEW so far.

Now, what WWE is doing in response to this? I have no clue. It sounds as if even they dunno. :shrug

keep arming AEW with more free ammo, Vinny! :tommy

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts

This is dumb. The same issue I also have with AEW if it's the same mentality for TNT.

You're professional wrestling. You are not a sport, in the literal sense of the term. Stop trying to act as if in the history of sports entertainment, the in-ring aspect of the business was the primary draw of the show. It wasn't. The two golden eras/booms of the business agree with me. That is not to say that you can't have a presentation that exuberates a sports-like feel into your product but it's bad enough we get in-ring action that goes way too long without a purpose or any emotional investment, as great as the matches are. You need the dynamic characters and thoughtful stories for those matches to mean anything.

This will not draw any new viewers to WWE (or AEW if they go that direction) because non-wrestling sports fans look at wrestling as a joke and "fake" anyway so why try to pretend it's a "real" sport?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts