Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/spotlightarticleboxcenter/article_62241.shtml

In general, though, did Vince care about storyline consistency? No, says DeJoseph.

"It would always be brought up. Logic would always be brought up, but sometimes it'd just be thrown right out the window. He'd sometimes say he couldn't even remember what happened three weeks ago, so how is the audience going to remember it? I think sometimes that was his thought…"

DeJoseph says the blame should be on Vince himself, and not the writing team, for the big gaps in logic, dropped storylines, and stream of aggravating contradictions. He says the writing team typically tries to fix any gaps in logic.

"I'm sure they're going to try or at least they've been pitching all week or they're going to try to explain something. I'm sure they have something in mind to explain it logically. If they don't that'll be interesting, too."

The attitude is Vince doesn't think it's ultimately important to business or the bottom line. "It's a big promotional thing that's going to get eyeballs on this TV show and I think that's what he thinks [matters]," DeJoseph says.
Pretty much why the storylines are really shitty and don't hold over long enough. Vince can't remember and assumes we can't either. Also, the former writer talks about what the plan was 5 years ago, when the limo exploded.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
No shit, anybody who watches the WWE on a weekly basis can see that.

On a side note, these PWTorch interviews with Chris are awesome, always like listening to him. I don't remember this specific part of the interview, though. Must've been in the aftershow, or I just didn't pay attention, lol.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
So, in other words, the reason why there was so much history and character motivation and backstory and intelligence and remembered plot points in that Cody Rhodes/Christian/Dolph Ziggler segment on Smackdown this week was because Vince doesn't give a crap about Chrisitan and let someone else entirely write and book it? No wonder it stood out like a strained buttock muscle.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yeah, it's painfully obvious by now that Vince is losing the ability to care about the details. If we put this key point, together with the one that concerns Vince re-writing and changing his mind often, then it's pretty clear to see the reasons behind the poor product and general lack of consistency. If it's indeed true what's been speculated between these points, then it once again suggests that Vince is holding the creative side back and needs a quick reality check before it leads to something more drastic being needed to arrest the slump. There were misgivings before in relation to the 3 month rule and this guy is talking about 3 weeks, lol.

I think Vince is pushing the boundary of what he can get away with there, and he's under-estimatimg the audiences attention span and basic common sense. Not to make out the casuals are slower than we are but even they must be able to see through the plotholes at times, and they may be even less forgiving than a smarkier type who will watch regardless, knowing full well how silly things can get. At least if they aimed to impress this audience they may go over casuals heads at times but the fallout wouldn't fall down nearly as bad. Wrestling fans are not smart though apparently and deserve to have their intelligence insulted, and all because Vince just can't be bothered to work out logical storylines. Sad.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The fact all these former writers are now coming out and criticizing Vince (rather than just 1 person) goes to show a bigger, obvious problem within the company (Vince of course). If at anything, it means Vince needs to step down immediately, no matter his legacy or experience. You cannot hamper a product just because you created it and feel you can breeze through the motions without repercussions; that's just laziness (sounds familiar, doesn't it).

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
vince has lost it
He hasn't lost it. He's just gotten lazy. He hasn't had direct competition for ten years so he doesn't feel the urge to step up and provide the most compelling television possible. Vince probably see's that "going through the motions" keeps the advertisers happy, the wrestlers more healthy, and still increases his bottom line. Not saying I agree, just pointing out what is obvious here.

EDIT: Also articles like these make me feel great for not investing so much time in the WWE. If I catch some Monday Night RAW, that's great. If I don't? Who really cares! Ya know what I'm saying. I know I frequent the forums, but in terms of actually watching the product--I'm as casual as casual can be.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Of course it's Vince's fault, the writers are professionals, their job is to pick out plot holes and flaws, and keep a cohesive story. But what Vince says goes.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
They should really just have Vince McMahon focus on all the business stuff of WWE and someone like Steph/HHH can focus on the actual programs/storyline writing

·
Banned
1,054 Posts
So you all think Vince sucks yet people can't wait for his return Monday and we all know it'll probably be the highlight of Raw from the past month it's been so bad...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Consistency, logic and new, fun ideas.

That was the essence of NXT's storylines during the last few months. It had been like that since, hm, somewhere around October, as the NXT Rookie challenges and such stopped; Then, suddenly, it stopped, and NXT (starting somewhere mid May) became Superstars 2.0.

The interesting storylines, smart and logical booking and general quality of everything dropped as soon as Vince told the NXT writers "yeah, you guys are finished here, I'm gonna go and end this brand and combine it with FCW".

This just goes to show you - When Vince doesn't have anything to do with the storylines and booking, we see good stuff.
Too bad that he doesn't just go away and leave the Creative team to write Raw and Smackdown themselves.

·
NOTORIOUS
6,837 Posts
I really hope that Vince McMahon steps down sometime soon, at least creatively, and hands that responsibility over to Triple H. Vince has clearly lost it over the years, and with more and more former writers coming out and proving that to be correct, it's just more obvious that something needs to be done.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
With age its probably getting harder For Vince to take care of the whole company by himself. Not surprised that he forgets storylines when his work-schedule is 24/7, 365.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,306 Posts
I'll say this...

A lot less "Fuck it, nobody will remember that. I don't even remember 3 weeks ago." happens on Smackdown.

I've thought it was the better written and more coherent program for several years now. A large reason for that is because Vinny Mac doesn't care about Smackdown and isn't there fucking it up with dumb ideas like Guest hosts, Million Dollar Giveaways, Mystery GMs and the like.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Consistency, logic and new, fun ideas.

That was the essence of NXT's storylines during the last few months. It had been like that since, hm, somewhere around October, as the NXT Rookie challenges and such stopped; Then, suddenly, it stopped, and NXT (starting somewhere mid May) became Superstars 2.0.

The interesting storylines, smart and logical booking and general quality of everything dropped as soon as Vince told the NXT writers "yeah, you guys are finished here, I'm gonna go and end this brand and combine it with FCW".

This just goes to show you - When Vince doesn't have anything to do with the storylines and booking, we see good stuff.
Too bad that he doesn't just go away and leave the Creative team to write Raw and Smackdown themselves.
Yep. I remember getting back into NXT and thinking "holy shit, there is so much story fluidity here," and realizing it wasn't so much as who was behind it as it was who wasn't behind it. Vince probably forgot the show existed until the time came to merge it with FCW.

Probably why the Punk/Bryan/Kane/AJ angle has worked out as well as it has. No focus on it, so they all go out and make due with what little time and guidelines they're given per show.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts