Wrestling Forum banner

Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Possibly Debuting On Dynamite

5952 Views 89 Replies 62 Participants Last post by  Piers

Justin Barrasso of SI.com noted the following regarding a possible surprise for the premiere of AEW Dynamite:

"In other wrestling news, a potential surprise for AEW’s premiere on TNT, Sports Illustrated has learned, is Jake Hager, better known from his WWE run as Jack Swagger. An ardent Trump supporter and legitimate big guy, Hager would fit in nicely as a villain for the promotion. He would also add depth to the card, and his work in Bellator MMA could have crossover appeal for AEW."
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
I thought the AEW brass was pitching their new company as more inclusive etc. Jack Swagger would be a red-hot heel because of his support for Trump but I wouldn't think they would want that publicity, especially for a new show.

· Registered
15,017 Posts
I think he's underrated in ring BUT not sure how he'd fit with the politics of the brand. But he has always been a huge favorite of Jim Ross so always had an in with the company if he wanted it. Hager of course isn't the only Trump supporter on the AEW roster, but he's outspoken about it. Also he fights cans in Bellator, what happens when he gets knocked out as he moves up the opponent food chain?

Hager could be a partner to Jericho on the inaugural show. I'd like to see him reinvent himself a bit and drop the "we the people" stuff - that is his failed WWE character. I'd like a more stoic Dr. Death Steve Williams character - like Dr. Death he played football and wrestled at OU and with his MMA wins Hager can be sold as legit tough guy. Leave the goofiness behind.

· Roy "Gambit" Mustang
35,194 Posts
Well hopefully he proves me wrong as I have never been a big fan of him. However he does have a good size to him and is decent in the ring even as someone who has never liked him.

· Registered
27,635 Posts
I think we all expected him since his Mox comments prior to DoN

He’ll be a good addition. I still think they have Sandow debut with him

He’s been mentioned in connection with Cody a couple of times now

In fact, they might be Y2Js partners?

· Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
14,984 Posts
The thing is though why does he have to necessarily be a trump supporter as a gimmick just cause of his personal political beliefs? I'm not really for or against him as like Morrison hes a guy I've always been luke warm on at best.

Him and Spears paired up together seems like a natural option if he is being brought in.

· Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
5,971 Posts
I think we all expected him since his Mox comments prior to DoN

He’ll be a good addition. I still think they have Sandow debut with him

He’s been mentioned in connection with Cody a couple of times now

In fact, they might be Y2Js partners?
Good heavens I hope not. Sandow has clearly demonstrated that he absolutely sucks in the ring, and he only had one angle that ever got over, which I still think was an accident.

Unless they set him up as OC’s doppelganger.....

· Registered
27,635 Posts
Good heavens I hope not. Sandow has clearly demonstrated that he absolutely sucks in the ring, and he only had one angle that ever got over, which I still think was an accident.

Unless they set him up as OC’s doppelganger.....
He’ll be a good manager / mouthpiece for Swagger?

· Premium Member
2,012 Posts
I find it sad how desperate I am for AEW to do well that I'm trying to build up some excitement for fuckin Jack Swagger of all people.

· Registered
30,011 Posts
Eh.

Look, Swagger is a legit fighter, wrestler, etc. But outside of one run in 2014 as a face, he's never been anyone that I get excited for. He just doesn't have that entertainment factor, at least not on his own.

And it's not even a WWE thing. He went to Lucha Underground, a show full wacky and wild characters, got a big push, and STILL was a bore. Maybe AEW can tap into something different, but I won't pretend to get excited at the possibility of this.

Not a bad addition if it’s true. He could stand to lose the ‘we the people’ shit, though.
I mean, to be fair, that's like the one thing in his career that he got over.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.