Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jimmy Korderas who usually bashes TNA to no end had this to say:

The heel promos by @JEFFHARDYBRAND are actually very good. Very believable and kinda scary. Notice he doesn't raise his voice. Great! I think the style of promo is more Jake the Snake Roberts ish.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Gotta love Heel Hardy. I know that the typical IWC member knows nuts when someone goes heel and does the slightest thing, and I don't typically follow that trend.

In this case though, I might have to. :p

·
Premium Member
43,669 Posts
I give him credit too. The promos have been great. Can he get it done in ring as a heel? We'll see. I still have my doubts, but if he can pull that off, he'll probably be very good as top heel.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
You know, as the most preposterous comparison I could think of, I once said that someone 'made Jeff Hardy sound like Jake Roberts'. Now it's been made in all seriousness, I just don't know what to think anymore.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
The tone makes everything. And he delivers it very well.
Love seeing this side. It's not a complete 180 of his face persona 'cause he was pretty dark already.
But the way this darkness is.....it's just cool....

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
Well done TNA, I used to hate Jeff Hardy, but now I only watch your show for him.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
So far he is doing an amazing job. By far the best thing (the only great thing) that TNA did starting the "Immortals" dominance.

Honestly, I was never a Hardy basher and saw his improvements in recent years in the mic skill department. But I never would have guessed, he instantly pulls off such a great performance. Mic work is the one thing. But he also switched to a great and ambitious gimmick ... and plays it PERFECTLY so far.

For me this one the biggest (positive) surprise in this Wrestling year. Even before Daniel Bryan getting a push over The Miz and the "THEY"-storyline actually working out.

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
i think everybody is surprised by how well TNA has handled Hardy going heel. me personally i like that hes still a loner but part of a big stable.. it kind of still sticks to his personality he had before on tv.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I was not a huge Hardy fan before, but I think he's 100x more interesting as a heel.

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
I have to be honest, I thought turning one of the biggest faces in the business heel was a stupid idea in the beginning; especially Jeff Hardy, of all people. But he has so far proven me wrong; his promos have been the best they have ever been throughout his career, and I really like his new look. He really has done a great job so far.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Jeff seems like a natural heel to me. Like whe he asked RVD to forgive him and then he smiled. He looked genuinely evil. He couldn't cut a promo to save his life as a face but he's calm and has full control over his delivery as a heel. The only thing he's gotta do now is tone his move set down cuz nobody is gonna boo him if he does all the high flying stuff.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jeff seems like a natural heel to me. Like whe he asked RVD to forgive him and then he smiled. He looked genuinely evil. He couldn't cut a promo to save his life as a face but he's calm and has full control over his delivery as a heel. The only thing he's gotta do now is tone his move set down cuz nobody is gonna boo him if he does all the high flying stuff.
I agree in regards to Jeff being a natural heel. His promo last night, where he asks to be forgiven by RVD, was the highlight of the evening. For me, there was always something that didn't sit well when Hardy was a face in the WWE. I never believed him as a face and never thought his look suited it. On the other hand, he was so abysmal as a face, I thought he would be garbage as a heel, but he's proven me wrong.

I'm sure he'll be able to tweak his move-set enough to get some heat. It will be kind of like when Batista went heel against Rey Mysterio last year. Every time he was setting up the Batista-Bomb, the crowd would pop, so he wouldn't do it. In this case, when Hardy goes for the Swanton Bomb, if the audience makes a sound, he should just abandon it. The "Twist of Hate" as it's being called now is a crappy looking move. The only reason people used to pop for it is because they knew what was coming next, the Swanton Bomb. If all he hits is the Twist of Hate for a while, he'll get heat in the ring.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've loved Jeff Hardy since I was this high, so I feel I have to stick by him. And the twist of hate onto the chair was fucking cool

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll admit he's doing a good job in the pre taped promos. However, I'm still not going to be sold until he gives a good/great in ring promo. Doing a promo backstage with nothing to play off of is one thing, but doing it live in front of an audience is another. His first promo on the show after BFG wasn't much nor was it very good IMO. He's getting a pass from me right now, but he still needs to do more.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
My take on it, and I'm thinking as I type so bear with me if I'm all over the place, is that the first couple of wweks were good but this week took some of the shine away.

Jeff has always been the big fan favourite and something of a panderer, to make this heel turn credible he needs to be continually conflicted. The first promos went some way to establishing this in the way he adopted a flat monotone when he spoke and the way his eyes looked completely dead. This week his statements seemd to have more relish to them, as if he was enjoying his new role. If it continues in this vien I feel the turn not only be failure but will also prevent a future face turn, something that I felt was inevitable based on the first couple of weeks.

The key to making this heel turn work is to constantly show that Jeff is disgusted with himself for the decision he's made but now feels trapped by it. I would like to see him show signs every now and then that he's about to change his mind and walk away from The Immortals but then mentally shake himself and redouble his efforts to play the heel. Really let him show the internal conflict, have him almost stop th beatdown before it geos too far and then take it even further.

Hope that made sense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts