Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the latest edition of Chasing Glory with Lilian Garcia, Gail Kim discussed her experiences with racism in WWE

On her experience with racism in WWE:
“It was around me, just like, the conversations, I even had to have conversations with the office, like, I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do here because I do everything you guys ask me to do. I got to the point where I’m like, am I too Asian? I was literally highlighting my hair near the end to become more white, I didn’t know what to do at that point, that’s why I left, because I know I had more to give to this business, and you hired me back for a reason. I did do something and you brought me back for a reason. It just felt really, I don’t know, suppressed, I felt very suppressed.”
On how they kept asking her to speak Korean:
“Well they kept on asking me, over and over, can you speak Korean? Can you speak Korean? I’m like, no, I can’t, and then they come back to me three months later, can you speak Korean? I’m like, no, I haven’t learned the language in three months. What are you saying? It was always like, beating around the bush.”

Reactions: LilacLotus

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I can't take it as racial thing, Gail Kim kinda triggered with that question, she should reply I can't speak Korean since I was born in Canada,but if I could, what are you gonna do with it?.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,243 Posts
Overall, she already said the same things multiple times before. :)

I can't take it as racial thing, Gail Kim kinda triggered with that question, she should reply I can't speak Korean since I was born in Canada,but if I could, what are you gonna do with it?.
It depends on how she was asked. Also, the last time I remember her talking about it in an interview, it was also about making her character speaking korean and putting her in the typical stereotype inring role.
Overall WWE failed with integrating asian looking talent into their program for years. Also I never had the impression, that she was making up the stuff she told about her WWE exp.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
@Ger

Something missing from how that guy ask that question, if he just want insult Gail or it was a mere question, just remember, WWE actually gave her a chance to win the title even it was just for less than month and she still recorded as one of women who win the women's title in WWE, her reign still slightly better than Yukiko Tomoe

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,243 Posts
@Ger

Something missing from how that guy ask that question, if he just want insult Gail or it was a mere question, just remember, WWE actually gave her a chance to win the title even it was just for less than month and she still recorded as one of women who win the women's title in WWE, her reign still slightly better than Yukiko Tomoe
I guess the combination of how the women were presented (incl lack of time) and her being uncommon and not willing to play stereotype, didnt help her career there.
Regarding some other posting (not yours): she is not really trashing WWE, it is just the two points she mentions always. But she is also asked about it every time. The binding accident and how they presented Asuka+Kairi isn`t really opposing her opinion.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I feel like if she spoke Korean, she would have probably been pushed more. I noticed the former Asian divas like Lena Yada and Angela weren't successful either and the only Asian divas that are really successful are the ones like Asuka, Kairi, Bull Nakano who are authentically Asian. WWE likes to push race. It's just the nature of the beast, though I think they could have still made better use of her. I think she's a better fit for companies like TNA and AEW but if Gail existed in the current era, she'd probably be a top NXT talent.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I feel like if she spoke Korean, she would have probably been pushed more. I noticed the former Asian divas like Lena Yada and Angela weren't successful either and the only Asian divas that are really successful are the ones like Asuka, Kairi, Bull Nakano who are authentically Asian. WWE likes to push race. It's just the nature of the beast, though I think they could have still made better use of her. I think she's a better fit for companies like TNA and AEW but if Gail existed in the current era, she'd probably be a top NXT talent.
Nah, they just push Asian expatriates because they're not aware of the "subtle" stereotypical nuances, such as the Sneaky Asian gimmick Tajiri was given in his entire WWE tenure. That's why Gail and other Western-born/raised Orientals are harder to convince to portray such stereotypes, because they are quick to sniff out the bullshit behind Vince and co.'s xenophobic mentality.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,227 Posts
The title seems like clickbait. Could have just said Gail Kim talks shit about WWE again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts