Wrestling Forum banner

Former creative writer John Piermarini's opinion on Swagger's promo skill as the WHC

5609 Views 44 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Jon Staley
Former creative writer John Piermarini acknowledges Jack Swagger got major heat when he was cutting promos as the WHC on Jacks twitter. Too bad the guy is not there anymore to back Swagger

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was the promo he was referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd9JP2rEz4Y&feature=fvw

fpalm @ people who thinks it was x-pac heat

Source : http://twitter.com/#!/RealJackSwagger
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: Former creative writer John Piermarini's opinion on Swagger's promo skill as the

Swagger was awesome as champion.

Hell, it was the only time (in a total of three times) in the entire year I was excited about WWE.

· Registered
274 Posts
Re: Former creative writer John Piermarini's opinion on Swagger's promo skill as the

Yeah, he burned out in the middle of his run, but he had a great start. Then his promos started to get really boring. But overall he did okay.

· Premium Member
498 Posts

I actually quite liked him. Not only that but he actually comes across as a pretty intelligent guy.

· Registered
6,867 Posts

I don't believe what the haters said about him. That guy had something. He could be goofy and serious in the snap or a finger.

· Registered
5,130 Posts

I actually quite liked him. Not only that but he actually comes across as a pretty intelligent guy.
I agree. Don't get fooled by his goofy on-screen persona, lol, just read this interview, it's a pretty good read, he really comes a cross as an intelligent guy in real life.

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/smackdown/521428-jack-swagger-profile.html (sorry i couldn't find the real source)

Back on topic, i love Jack Swagger, he's awesome wrestler and he's hilarious, i even quote a lot of things he says because he's so full of win on he mic.

Despite the major depush that he gets right now i think he's still got a bright future, i believe he is just simply working his way up from the bottom again at the moment, i'm pretty sure he will make it to the top again someday because he's just too good to be completely wasted.

· Registered
861 Posts

swaggers the man...if i could be anyone in wwe i would be him

MITB is fucking sick. period.

· The User Without Fear
2,800 Posts

Swagger needs to be champ again. The heat he was getting was unreal. Punk and Miz aren't even close to that right now.

Fuck whoever decided to screw him over with that horrible reign.

· Premium Member
46,384 Posts

Swagger was a victim of rushed & poorly conceived booking. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY could have succeeded under those circumstances.

Jobber on Raw for almost a year, then wins MITB, & then is World Champ 2 nights later. That is HORRIBLE handling of a character because you've conditioned me for a LONG time that he's a loser, but then in 3 days he's World Champ? That doesn't work, it didn't work, and Swagger suffered for it.

And of course the prevailing Wrestling logic came into play: "Oh, Swagger isn't a draw!" well, who the FUCK is going to draw when they are put in that situation? The Rock couldn't have made that work. I guarantee it.

Now I'll be honest. I was never a HUGE fan of Swagger as a talent. He's solid, but I never saw what the big deal was. He's just got a weird look to him that I could never get behind. However, Lord knows I've been wrong before, but WWE did NOTHING to convince me that he was worthy of being World Champion. Horrible booking, & unfortunately in cases like this, its the talent who suffers for it.

· Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
12,610 Posts

Absolutely correct. The booking was the only problem with Swagger's reign. He was doing a great job in the ring, a great job on the mic, and was getting absolutely unreal heat that Punk and Miz and even Barrett would kill to have, and that Del Rio could never dream of getting.

He got screwed over in that reign, no question.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts

I can safely say he's the most mishandled guy in the promotion, probably since... I don't know who. A certain poster around here would say MVP, I know that much. ;/

Seriously, the only way for his insta-push to work--unless they had an ace in the hole like they did with Sheamus following his first reign with the Triple H feud, and even then you have to keep pressing down on the gas some following that--was to give him a lengthy reign. It's hard for me to convey how much I believe Smackdown screwed the pooch in 2010 beginning with the inept booking of Swagger's reign in particular. Swagger is booked like a chump, drops his championship to Rey Mysterio (apparently over money grumbling issues once again, so Mysterio could be satisfied), who is once again a thoroughly inconsequential champion, dropping it to Kane after only a month, who takes it for five months. Kane, during that time, is allowed to be the one heel champion in ages who's allowed to look and act like a monster. He beats The Undertaker three times in a row on pay-per-view. Kane is suddenly entrenched as a supervillain of sorts; sure, the matches and feud stank but he was built-up. Who gets to benefit from all of that hard work on Kane's behalf? What young star does WWE turn to, to slay the monster? Well, of course, Edge, because he could really use a solid round number of championship reigns in the history books. And the worst part of all is that none of Kane's heat that he accumulated from his monster run was passed on to any young star(s), it was just The Kane Show, and then the Kane, Edge & Paul "KAAAAAAANE!" Bearer Show. And now that Edge, a face, is champ, it's given WWE the green light to... yes, you guessed it, push another heel to the top!

Pretty much everybody involved was screwed in some way, shape or form, and for what? To relive the Kane/Undertaker feud for the hundredth time? Their feud didn't sell, Smackdown's gates were very much down during that time and the buyrate numbers for Night of Champions and Bragging Rights in particular are pretty poor. Not to mention, they couldn't even wrap it up the way they envisioned doinng so because lo and behold, Taker got injured yet again.

Essentially, Smackdown wasted a year, between jerking Swagger up and down (Lita/Edge/JR Wrestlemania X7 reference FTW!), squeezing CM Punk to the point that he had to move to Raw to be resuscitated (unbelievable considering how hot he was at the beginning of the year), reliving an Attitude Era feud and giving us the unanimously-voted Worst Feud of the Year to close '10 out. Let's hope 2011 is a better year for the blue brand.

· Banned
5,112 Posts

Threads praising both Orton and Swagger's mic skills, on the SAME day as one another?

Pyro's gonna flip his shit.

· Banned
6,835 Posts

He was great, his promos were entertaining and he never disappointed in the ring, I have no idea why booking is trying to screw him over now.

His WHC reign was brilliant, as soon as he lost the title and they gave it to Rey I lost all interest in SmackDown because it became boring.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.