Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. Probably a stale thread that has been done to death, but fuck it. I have made this thread so everyone can share their favourite promos/matches that have been forgotten by time, e.g. great matches from weekly shows that aren't stereotypical 'classic' matches.

I have gone for Billy Kidman and Paul London versus the Dudley Boys from 2004 for the WWE Tag Team Titles (when they actually meant something).

·
Banned
611 Posts
Chris Benoit/Eddie Guerrerro (Vengeance 2003)
CM Punk/Batista (The Great American Bash 2008)
Rey Mysterio and Billy Kidman/The World's Greatest Tag Team (Vengeance 2003)
Shawn Michaels/Jeff Jarrett (In Your House 2)
Chris Benoit/Kane (Bad Blood 2004)
JBL/Eddie Guerrerro/Booker T/The Undertaker (Armageddon 2004)
Chris Jericho/Shelton Benjamin (Backlash 2005)
Kurt Angle/Brock Lesnar/The Big Show (Vengeance 2003)
Kane/Rob Van Dam (Summerslam 2003)
Triple H/Kevin Nash (Bad Blood 2003)
Jeff Hardy/Edge (Royal Rumble 2009)
Jeff Hardy/Rob Van Dam (InVasion)

There are probably some more I am forgetting, but those are some of my favorite matches that I never hear anyone talk about. I also must that Vengeance 2003 is one of, if not THE, most underrated PPVs of all time.

·
Banned
611 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The one match that really has stuck with me recently was Morrison vs Rey on smackdown I want to say 2009ish?
Fun as hell match and never gets brought up when people are either bashing or praising rey/morrison

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,798 Posts
Shawn Michael vs. Steve Austin @ WWE King of the Ring '97... really outshines their match at Wrestlemania 14. This match happened before HBK tore his back up severely at Royal Rumble '98 which caused him to semi-rite after WM and it's also before SCSA messed up neck up at Summerslam '97.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Probably, most of the matches that was on Smackdown during 2009. Also, I say Guerrero/Tajiri vs World's Greatest Tag Team which was a ladder match. Also Cena vs Taker at Vengeance 2003 was pretty solid. As well as Cena vs Jericho vs Christian at Vengeance 2005.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Shawn Michaels v. Triple H at Armageddon 2002 in Three Stages of Hell.

Granted, people forget about it because of their epic fight at Summerslam that year or their Last Man Standing match at Royal Rumble 2003 but I do like this match and how you could feel that tension they had been building up to this match prior to it happening. I like their SSlam '02 match and Last Raw before '03 I believe better but this match is way better than their Hell in a Cell match at Bad Blood 2004, IMO.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
TLC 3, Edge/Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys vs Jericho/*

Excellent match, surprisingly on Smackdown, probably my fave TLC match(besides being a Jericho mark).

*Unknown Canadian wrestler, of no fame.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Possibly my favorite forgotten (by everyone but me) match/segment, Scott Norton vs Ernest 'the Cat' Miller from Nitro 02-01-99.
Cat was doing his greatest of all-time rap and called out anyone from the locker room. The nWo told Norton that Cat had called him out, so Norton proceeds to whip-the-piss out Miller. The Cat's chest starts turning red from repeated knife-edge chops and lariats.

·
Leader of #TeamBAE
1,561 Posts
To the guy who mentioned HBK/Austin at the 97 KotR, you beat me to it. I'm going to start mine from 2000 to make it easier though.

(I'm not a gigantic Benoit mark, but somehow a lot of these matches include him)

Hardyz/Dudleyz Table Match Royal Rumble 2000
Triple H/Jericho Last Man Standing Fully Loaded 2000
Triple H/Benoit No Mercy 2000
TLC 3 on Smackdown involving Jericho/Benoit as well as the first 3 teams.
Austin/Benoit in 2001 in Edmonton.
Angle/Benoit Cage Match on RAW from 2001 too I believe.
Austin/Angle Summerslam 2001 I highly, HIGHLY, recommend this.
Taker/Flair at Wrestlemania 18.
Edge/Angle Steel Cage Match Smackdown 2002
Edge/Rey vs. Angle/Benoit No Mercy 2002 (Considered one of the best tag matches ever, but is still forgotten to a lot)
Angle/Lesnar Iron Man Match Smackdown 2003 (Coincidentally I believe this won "Match of the Year" but I never hear people remember it.)
Benoit/HBK Raw in 2004 (June I believe)
Benoit/Trips Iron Man Match RAW 2004
Jericho/Christian WM 20
Orton/Edge Vengeance 2004 IC Championship. (Really good, highly suggest it.)
Jericho/Christian Ladder Match Unforgiven 2004
HBK/Shelton Gold Rush Tournament Match RAW 2005
HBK/Angle 2 Vengeance 2005 (Goes unnoticed, on par with their first match)
Edge/Matt Hardy Steel Cage Match Unforgiven 2005
Edge/Matt Hardy Loser Leaves RAW Ladder Match at RAW Homecoming in 2005
Team RAW vs. Team Smackdown 2005 Survivor Series (Orton as the sole survivor for SD)
Edge/Flair TLC Match RAW in January 2006
Cena/Edge RAW in 2006 (with Foley as the Special Ref)
Finlay/Benoit Judgment Day 2006
The 4 Way Tag Team Ladder Match at Armageddon 2006 (Mercury eye moment)
Umaga/Jeff Hardy RAW in 2007 I believe? I can't remember which one.
Umaga/John Cena Last Man standing Royal Rumble 2007
Punk/Morrison TGAB/Summerslam 2007 ?
2008 Royal Rumble Match (one of the best ever because I was there) NYC 2008
HBK/Jeff Hardy RAW in February in 2008
Taker/Edge WM 24
Taker/Edge TLC Match Extreme Rules 2008
Taker/Edge Hell in a Cell Summerslam 2008
HBK/Jericho Ladder Match No Mercy 2008
Christian/Swagger ECW 2009
Cena/Edge Last Man Standing Backlash 2009 (IMO the best match they've ever had together)
Jericho/Rey "Mask vs. IC title" ? The Bash 2009
Morrison/Jeff Hardy Smackdown 2009
Ziggler/Rey Smackdown 2009
Morrison/Rey Smackdown 2009
Orton/Cena Iron Man Match Bragging Rights 2009
Punk/Rey 2010 Extreme Rules
Sheamus/Morrison Survivor Series 2010
Sheamus/Morrison Ladder Match TLC 2010
Morrison/Miz Falls Count Anywhere RAW 2011
Ziggler/Edge Royal Rumble 2011

At this point my brain hurts.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Shawn Michael vs. Steve Austin @ WWE King of the Ring '97... really outshines their match at Wrestlemania 14. This match happened before HBK tore his back up severely at Royal Rumble '98 which caused him to semi-rite after WM and it's also before SCSA messed up neck up at Summerslam '97.
This was my EXACT thought reading the thread title. The only reason no one mentions this match is the finish - plus the fact that it was in the middle of a largely forgettable PPV, thus resulting in a large percentage of fans never seeing it.

But fuck, it's like 25-30 minutes of fantastic wrestling by two of the all time best in their in-ring prime.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
The one match that really has stuck with me recently was Morrison vs Rey on smackdown I want to say 2009ish?
Fun as hell match and never gets brought up when people are either bashing or praising rey/morrison

it was an awesome match

One of my favourite but forgotten matches was HHH vs HBK vs John Cena.It was announced by two drivers when they were guest hosts

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
I don't really have any that people haven't mentioned (perhaps excluding the Angle/Benoit stuff from 2001), so I'll just go with a "lesser" match which, imo, will always show how great a hardcore match can actually be - especially without the use of blood

Backlash 2001: Rhino© vs Raven - Falls Count Anywhere match - Hardcore Championship

1 - 20 of 38 Posts