Wrestling Forum banner

Forgotten Legends45: The Super Intelligent Destroyer

1935 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Ghost Lantern
Yes, a wrestler once used that name as a professional wrestler wearing a mask shortly and fondly addressed as The Destroyer (The Original Destroyer once the dupes came in). He was known or lesser known as Dick Beyer.

Starting out as a face, Dick Beyer with his amateur background did well but not well enough financially or in terms of success. In 1962, for circumstances unknown, he became The Destroyer wearing a mask which was supposed to be only for a few weeks but he became such a huge hit that he was forced to continue using the moniker as well as the mask.

Within a year, he won the WWA title using figure four leglock from Freddie Blassie who convinced him to continue as a masked wrestler. He was mostly tweener or rather a heel who the fans loved for most of the time. He traveled to Japan fighting a set of feuds with Rikidozan and Baba gaining huge fan following in Japan for his mat style of wrestling while trading the title with Bruiser and Morales.

He then moved on to AWA where he wrestler as Dr X, a masked wrestler again winning the world heavyweight title once before being unmasked eventually with a different name to facilitate Dr X from AWA and The Destroyer for other organizations were different guys. He masked and unmasked himself too often in AWA to make sure the audience knew it was him and also allow his departure to world tour wrestling which was achieved by a kayfabe injury to his leg by Crippler.

He then wrestled for six years in Japan becoming a huge name and hero there helping Giant Baba and AJPW build into a solid organizations through his feuds with him and Mil Mascaras. He also had a huge career in Toronto wrestling the likes of Bob Backland, Superstar Billy Graham, Andre the Giant, Funks, Bockwinkel, Carpentier, Vachon winning over 24 titles across 12 organizations in Japan, US and Canada garnering huge accolades, respect as well as cult fanhood.

Having been such a huge name, he truly is a forgotten legend when it comes to mainstream American wrestling fan.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Likes wrestling....
14,518 Posts
Been out of town Stranger and just saw this today....great job. You did not mention however that the Rikidozen vs. Destroyer match was the most watched wrestling match of all-time.

Thank you for posting about the Destroyer. I just wish more of the "kids" here knew about this guy.

I remember him more for his Dr. X angle. I had a Dr. X mask as a kid and an autographed picture!

· Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been out of town Stranger and just saw this today....great job. You did not mention however that the Rikidozen vs. Destroyer match was the most watched wrestling match of all-time.

Thank you for posting about the Destroyer. I just wish more of the "kids" here knew about this guy.

I remember him more for his Dr. X angle. I had a Dr. X mask as a kid and an autographed picture!
I mentioned it in Rikidozan's Forgotten Legends but could not verify it officially anywhere till now and so dropped it here. I guess you missed quite a few Forgotten Legends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.