Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the forgotten 4 stars or more matches from WWE's PPV's of the past? Ones that are never mentioned in the topic of great PPV matches, but were in your opinion 4 stars are better?

Really interested to see what some of you come up with.

My first would be Jeff Jarrett defending the intercontinental title against Shawn Michaels at the second In Your house PPV in July of 1995. I say at least 4 1/2 stars, but maybe that match seemed better than it actually was cause the rest of the card was such crap.

The other is Bret Hart and Steve Austin from Revenge of Taker in April 1997. This is forgotten because when people think Bret Hart/Steve Austin, they think Wrestlemania 13. But this rematch the next month was also outstanding. The DQ finish hurt it a bit, but I still think it's a **** match at worst.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho at No Way Out in '03. I thought this was an excellent match, and I am not a fan of Hardy whatsoever. but it was just a PPV opener, and i wasn't really expecting much, just a quick match with some spots to throw out, but it ended up really engaging me, really interesting me, and i was on the edge of my seat. they worked together very well, the whole match was fluid, and it worked so well story-line wise, with Jeff Hardy just taking one too many risks. one of my favorite PPV openers, especially since they gave it some solid time, it was like a 15 minute match or so.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,004 Posts
I agree with the matches that have been mentioned so far. I'd like to add Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero from No Way Out 2004. The night was all Eddie Guerrero's and he put on a classic with Brock Lesnar but Rey/Chavo had what I feel is one of the best cruiserweight matches in that title's history. Their chemistry together was so fluid with the counters and the pacing of the counters that led to some thrilling high spots.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle ~ Raw 2001 ~ Steel Cage
Ten German Suplexes + Headbut from top of the cage + Moonsault from top of the cage + Austin at commentary are the ingredients of an amazing match.

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really hope this thread gets more replies. I like going back and watching these types of matches, the good ones that are forgotten about. I watched the Rock/Jericho one yesterday that King of Kings mentioned. Very good match. Screwy finish hurt it a little, but still probably a 4 1/2 star match. Exactly what I meant by this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Kurt Angle vs The Undertaker No way out 2006

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio summerslam 2005

Chris Jericho vs Christian wrestlemania XX

Mick Foley vs Randy Orton backlash 2004

·
Registered
406 Posts
Chris Benoit vs. HHH vs. Shawn Michaels, Backlash 2004

Booker T vs. Chris Benoit, Armageddon 2005.

John vs. Umaga, Royal Rumble 2007

MITB III, Wrestlemania 23

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
austin vs dude love - over the edge
This. From 1998 in the great city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My all-time favorite match, featuring prominent roles by Vince, Undertaker, and the stooges. Highly, highly, highly recommend it.

Another I'd like to throw out is Chris Benoit vs. Triple H from No Mercy 2000. Totally forgotten match - hell, totally forgotten feud - but it's one of the best from Benoit (which is obviously saying something) and my personal favorite Triple H match of all time.

·
#WWELogic
3,802 Posts
Taker vs. Austin Judgement Day
Benoit vs Austin vs Y2J KOTR
Jericho vs RVD Unforgiven
Edge vs. Christian No Mercy

2002Jericho vs. the Rock RR
RVD vs. Benoit Summer Slam
Trish vs. Victoria No Mercy
Noble vs. Kidman SS
Eddie vs. Benoit Armageddon

Cena vs. Lesner Backlash 03
Mysterio & Kidman vs WGTT Vengence 03
Cena vs Angle No Mercy 03
Orton vs RVD Armageddon

Christian vs Jericho WM XX
Orton vs. Shelton Bad Blood
Kidman vs. London No Mercy 04

Edge vs Benoit Backlash
Orton vs. Taker Summer Slam

RVD vs Shelton Backlash
RVD vs Edge Vengence
Benoit vs Regal No Mercy
Hardy's vs MnM D2D

Morriosn vs Punk NOC
Umga vs Jeff Hardy GAB
Punk vs Burke Unforgiven
HBK vs Kennedy Armageddon

Edge vs Rey Mysterio RR

Shane vs. Orton NWO
Morrison vs Shelton JD

That's all I've got for now

Stay Frosty

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
Hart Vs. Piper - Wrestlemania VIII

Angle Vs. Lesnar - Wrestlemania XIX

Goldberg Vs. Helmsley - Survivor Series 2003

Edge Vs. Orton - Vengeance 2004

Benoit Vs. Orton - SummerSlam 2004

Orton Vs. Helmsley - Royal Rumble 2005

Angle Vs. Booker T - Judgment Day 2005

Cena Vs. Edge - Royal Rumble 2006

Undertaker Vs. Kennedy - No Mercy 2006

Benoit Vs. Porter - Wrestlemania XXIII

Batista Vs. Edge - Judgment Day 2007

Cena Vs. Lashley - Great American Bash 2007

Cena Vs. Orton Vs. Layfield Vs. Helmsley - Backlash 2008

Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero from No Way Out 2004. The night was all Eddie Guerrero's and he put on a classic with Brock Lesnar but Rey/Chavo had what I feel is one of the best cruiserweight matches in that title's history. Their chemistry together was so fluid with the counters and the pacing of the counters that led to some thrilling high spots.
Exactly what you said, but I thought their bout from The Great American Bash 2004 was easily their best match.

- Vic

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good call on the Benoit/HHH/Michaels match from backlash 2004. Another example of one match being forgotten because another one of their matches is so memorable.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Rock vs Benoit - Fully Loaded 2000
The New Brood (Hardys) vs Edge & Christian - Ladder Match - No Mercy 1999
William Regal vs Rob Van Dam - Wrestlemana X8
Raven vs Kane vs The Big Show - Wrestlemana X-7

1 - 20 of 37 Posts