Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Man With No Face
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm perusing through some old clips of late 99 (remember those days? Undertaker and Big Show were tag champs!), and I began to realize how irritating Jerry Lawler really was.

Was that by design, to somehow balance out the Attitude Era violence and shock value with some lighthearted comedy; or was he always just a vexatious jackass and he's toned it down since then?

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
King has never been that good. Sitting beside JR used to cover it up a little but without JR around, his true suckiness is fully exposed.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,205 Posts
He fit quite well with the era, and as a child watching him I truly did hate his heel persona.

He's the worst of the Attitude Era, without heat to any hatred, and he has been mailing it in for several years now.

JR is just so damn good. He was like an excellent wrestler carrying a mediocre partner to decency, and even flashes of brilliance.

They also had nice chemistry. King just doesn't "feel" wrestling any more, and it seems as if he doesn't dig Cole either .

He could be replaced with Matthews or Striker, and nothing of value would be lost.
Hell, RAW might even benefit from that.

·
The Man With No Face
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every time a wrestler was starting to cut a decent promo, King would interject some asinine comment during each slight pause. It was worse than the "WHAT?" chants.

·
Registered
837 Posts
King is much more entertaining in memory than history. He was one of the reasons I preferred WCW, just so I didn't have to listen to an over the hill pathetic old man yelp and holler at women even moving. The only time I've evr legitimately missed him was when Heyman took his spot. Good god. As awful as Lawler was/is Heyman made me want him back. Heyman's fine anywhere but as a commentator.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
OP you seriously find the boring old bland face King to the Attitude Era King? Are you alright? I use to love when he ripped on JR and would make fun of certain wrestlers. Now King seems bored out of his mind.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Well I though king was great in the attitude era, most certainly better than now.

·
Bow down
1,419 Posts
His skills have fallen more than the stock market in recent years.

He is really a terrible colour commentator now. It's as if he doesn't want to be here.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I thought he was awesome as a colour commentator in the 90's. He was so quick with his insults and his banter with JR and Vince, when he was at the booth, was entertaining. Now he just doesn't seem at all interested in his job, he just plays the boring babyface role now and botches way too much when commentating. The WWE should hand him his release and replace him with someone who actually has some passion.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I thought he was awesome as a colour commentator in the 90's. He was so quick with his insults and his banter with JR and Vince, when he was at the booth, was entertaining. Now he just doesn't seem at all interested in his job, he just plays the boring babyface role now and botches way too much when commentating. The WWE should hand him his release and replace him with someone who actually has some passion.
I agree. He was very quick witted. A lot of his lines were pretty amusing back then.

He still comes up with the odd one now and again. However, he's pretty much lost all the spark he once had.

I sorely miss the JR/King combo. I loved the way King was always defending the heels lol.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I agree. He was very quick witted. A lot of his lines were pretty amusing back then.

He still comes up with the odd one now and again. However, he's pretty much lost all the spark he once had.

I sorely miss the JR/King combo. I loved the way King was always defending the heels lol.

Yeah it was great how King would defend the heels, but you know what was unqiue about him? He would also bash some heels every now and then. When HBK was a heel in 94/95, King would make remarks like "this guy is such a pre-madonna, look at him dance around like an idiot, I would love to tear that hair right out of his scalp". He would also take cracks at people like Psycho Sid when he was a mega heel but King would bash him sometimes calling him a dumb as nails and so on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
He really hasn't been the same since that whole Stacy Carter incident. Almost as if
he's been neutered. Story was Stacy (aka the Kat) was fired by WWF at the time that
the King and her were dating. He leaves WWF in protest and she ends up dumping him
anyway. He comes back to WWF headquarters asking for his job back. Since then he's
lost his ball sack... at least from my perspective.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts