Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
Man if you really beleive Jinder is the first anti america heel of all time. You gotta go watch some archive footage on the network! From what I have observed I don't think the Anti Jinder side of the audience. IS due to him being indian. More a rejection to another forced, manufactured push.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why are we supposed to dislike a guy like Jinder besides the fact hes Indian? WWE just teaching fans to be racist and hate foreigners.
Why are you pulling racism into this? Hating foreigners is not racism. Hating russians, polaks, muslims, south africans, jews etc. is not racism.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
well that and it's been done to death.

I was hoping this with Jinder. At first it was good as it was just that he would have the argument of just being better than everyone else, hating him because he is smarter or richer than us. Now he has brought in the race card again and I am like *urgh*.

Can we have one foreign gimmick that doesn't bring in their race.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Yeah I totally agree, Jinders stereotypical gimmick is totally racist.

For me living in Sweden, other foreign stereotypes like that beer drinking Redneck Steve Austin are also racist and stereotypical as hell. Not every Texan drinks beer, are bald, white and is a redneck.
Same reason can be applied to Lord Steven (William) Regal being a snobby tea-drinking Brit. Not all British people are fond of tea or are snobby jackasses

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah I totally agree, Jinders stereotypical gimmick is totally racist.

For me living in Sweden, other foreign stereotypes like that beer drinking Redneck Steve Austin are also racist and stereotypical as hell. Not every Texan drinks beer, are bald, white and is a redneck.
Same reason can be applied to Lord Steven (William) Regal being a snobby tea-drinking Brit. Not all British people are fond of tea or are snobby jackasses
And again. None of those are races. Saying that all Americans are fat, British people bathe in tea or Indians make love to cows is not racist.

well that and it's been done to death.

I was hoping this with Jinder. At first it was good as it was just that he would have the argument of just being better than everyone else, hating him because he is smarter or richer than us. Now he has brought in the race card again and I am like *urgh*.

Can we have one foreign gimmick that doesn't bring in their race.
Ludvig Borga.

Reactions: Hawkke

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
And again. None of those are racist.
Well, if Jinders gimmick is racist, so must Austins, Regals, and Brets gimmicks be as well. Or does OP suggest that only some gimmicks can be racist due to stereotyping? Maybe only if you are black, Indian, Muslim, Hindu, or Chinese it can be perceived as racist due to stereotyping?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
And again. None of those are races. Saying that all Americans are fat, British people bathe in tea or Indians make love to cows is not racist.

Ludvig Borga.
by applying the logic of the one you responded to, how is Ludvig Borga not stereotypical and about race? He was from Finland, he waved the Finnish flag, talked about how much better Finland and superior he as a Finn was compared to Americans.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well, if Jinders gimmick is racist, so must Austins, Regals, and Brets gimmicks be as well. Or does OP suggest that only some gimmicks can be racist due to stereotyping? Maybe only if you are black, Indian, Muslim, Hindu, or Chinese it can be perceived as racist due to stereotyping?
OP does not have any idea what racism means.

by applying the logic of the one you responded to, how is Ludvig Borga not stereotypical and about race? He was from Finland, he waved the Finnish flag, talked about how much better Finland and superior he as a Finn was compared to Americans.
How the fuck does that make him racist? And Borga did not glorify Finns or wave the finnish flag. He bashed Americans and teamed up with other non-american wrestlers.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Heck, by the arguments OP did, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan must be the worst stereotypical racist gimmick of all time.

A half-mentally challenged, cross-eyed, big belly, hairy guy who is running around with a Wooden Plank and a flag shouting USA, proclaiming USA to be teh best country in the world, and by that implying that all other races and countries are inferior to them.

Yeah, if that is not racist I don't know what is racist ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Heck, by the arguments OP did, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan must be the worst stereotypical racist gimmick of all time.

A half-mentally challenged, cross-eyed, big belly, hairy guy who is running around with a Wooden Plank and a flag shouting USA, proclaiming USA to be teh best country in the world, and by that implying that all other races and countries are inferior to them.

Yeah, if that is not racist I don't know what is racist ;)
You obviously don't know what racism is.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
OP does not have any idea what racism means.

How the fuck does that make him racist? And Borga did not glorify Finns. He bashed Americans and teamed up with other foreign wrestlers.
Well, he stated he disliked Americans and the american way of life. He had a big Finish flag on his chest, played the Finish National Anthem as his entrance theme, all this. This more than implies that he saw himself and finns as superior to other nationalities. If his country did not matter, why would he then have the Finnish Flag on his chest, play the Finish Anthem, and have the Finish Karelian Bear tattooed on his shoulder. LOL

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unpopular opinion: i believe that stereotyping in wrestling is a good thing, for the kind of program they produce.

You have 20 to 40 athlethe, and with 5 hours a week you don't have time to give each and every one of them a proper character development like a tv series.
So? Stereotyping!

Stereotype are the "easiest way out", I know, but they allows to have a complete character and motivation ready from the start (avoiding starting with a "blank" wrestler), while still allowing some work on the character over time.

I'm italian and i still love the FBI.
they're italian
they're "mafiosi", criminals and bad guys
they cheat and are weak

You already have "full" characters without writing a single line of promos, and that's perfect since they had like 10 minutes every week AT BEST.

Otherwise, you end up with guys dressing in different colors saying just "i'm better than you" or "i'm happy to be here and fight for you people"

Reactions: PrinceofPush

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
You obviously don't know what racism is.
And you obviously don't know what sarcasm is, despite me posting a blinking smiley ;)

Unpopular opinion: i believe that stereotyping in wrestling is a good thing, for the kind of program they produce.

You have 20 to 40 athlethe, and with 5 hours a week you don't have time to give each and every one of them a proper character development like a tv series.
So? Stereotyping!

Stereotype are the "easiest way out", I know, but they allows to have a complete character and motivation ready from the start (avoiding starting with a "blank" wrestler), while still allowing some work on the character over time.

they're italian
they cheat and are weak

You already have "full" characters without writing a single line of promos, and that's perfect since they had like 10 minutes every week AT BEST.

Otherwise, you end up with guys dressing in different colors saying just "i'm better than you" or "i'm happy to be here and fight for you people"
Finally some common sense. I totally agree. To say Jinders, Kamalas, Iron Sheiks gimmicks are racist because they might be stereotypical is a joke.

Well, the OP starter did not use any of my suggestions of stereotypical wrestlers (Austin, Regal, Borga, Bret) as being racist, which could have been done easily becasue these gimmicks are equally as stereotypical. This implies two things.

First of all, stereotyping can only be connected to racism if it involves a person with a darker skin than the "typical" white American.
Second, this makes the OP racist himself (or herself) because (s)he implicitly perceives people with a different skin color more vulnerable to stereotyping and should be protected from things like this, just because of their skin color or nationality. LOL

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well, he 1. stated he disliked Americans and the american way of life. 2. He had a big Finish flag on his chest, played the Finish National Anthem as his entrance theme, all this. This more than implies that he saw himself and finns as superior to other nationalities. 3. If his country did not matter, why would he then have the Finnish Flag on his chest, play the Finish Anthem, and 4. have the Finish Karelian Bear tattooed on his shoulder. LOL
1. Hating Americans is not racism, because Americans are not a race. Do you even understand what the term "race" means? It means discrimination based on RACE. Caucasians, black people (black africans or black african americans), asians and arabs are races. Saying that all muslims are terrorists is not racism, because muslims are not a race.

2. Not once did he mention that he is from Finland. Vince McMahon, Jerry Lawler and Howard Finkel mentioned him being from Helsinki, Finland. During his promos and segments he mentioned that the world hates The United States Of America and Americans.

3. Gimmick reasons. He was playing a foreign heel.

4. Tony Halme did not have a bear tattooed on his shoulder. And what the hell is a "Karelian bear"?

Reactions: Chrome

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
It's cheap heat to satisfy all the muricans when they overcome all as the greatest country in the world :lol

Not racism though lol

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I agree. It's totally not healthy for the society. WWE have to stop with their anti-american gimmicks.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts

So? Stereotyping!

they're italian
they cheat and are weak

of course its a good thing, these are tv characters
characterisation has always relied on stereotypical associations

otherwise as you already said itd be well, exactly how it is now funnily enough, a bunch of guys in different gear saying oh look I'm the best

1 - 20 of 51 Posts