Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you live away? are you moving away? what are your flatmates like? experiences or so fourth.

i'm moving away to a student flat on Saturday, met one of my housemates but i wasn't too keen on her, and i've seen the other one. anyway like the original paragraph says, just post your experiences. or don't.

·
7,749 Posts
I'm moving away next Saturday, haven't met any of my new flatmates yet, but I've seen a few people in my apartment building who seem alright and a few friends are living near by. Looking forward to it though

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Entering final year in the coming weeks, my uni is about an hour and a half or so away from home so I lived on the Uni site for 1st year as they guarantee freshers accommodation for 1st year. Second year I got a house with most of the people I lived with 1st year and for the final year I've gotten a house with people from my hometown as a lot have gone to Uni here and I get on with them better (plus some of my old house got into bitcy fights which cost us a couple of houses and I couldn't be arsed waiting around for them to make up).

Anyways freshers week is a great way to meet people and make friends immediately. Doesn't really matter if you're outgoing or shy because everyone is largely in the same boat as not knowing anyone and having to adjust and make new friends. There should be peer guides on hand who'll organise nights out during freshers week: you can either go out with people in your flat or try and see if they have nights out for courses. I.e on my 1st night they had all Law people meet in the student bar and then go on a pub crawl and other courses met up in different areas around the site. Just try and strike up general conversation etc and get to know people and you'll eventually settle into a group of mates in your course.

I also found you can make friends with people your housemates know, my mate did Geography and most of his friends from the course came round to our flat for pre drinking a good 3 times a week and by October I knew all of them and got on well with a few in particular. It really isn't hard tbh to meet people if you make the effort and go to the bars and clubs.

What Uni are you going to btw? I imagine if you're going to a big city like Liverpool/Leeds/Manchester/London/Newcastle it can be a little harder as opposed to my uni in Bangor where its a lot more relaxed and quiet.

·
7,749 Posts
I'm at Northumbria, so I'll be living in Newcastle which has a great nightlife. Freshers should be pretty great too; it better be since I paid £65 for a pass to get in to everything that week 8*D

I'm not too fussed about meeting new people, I'm fairly easygoing and as long as I'm not living with arseholes then I should be alright making new mates

·
You're a mong.
5,398 Posts
Spent my first year of uni away from home in the halls, was pretty much a disaster in how the halls were allocated. There were 8 rooms to each section of the halls, in my section there were 2 French guys, 2 Spanish, 2 German, a guy from Kenya and myself. The guy from Kenya was the only one who spoke relatively understandable English and he also ironed and washed my clothes for me for a reason I'll never quite understand - "I do this for my family at home, I do this for you here!". Luckily I made friends with people in my class and in other areas of the halls or else it would have been a long year in Bolton with a guy from Kenya.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
I'm a first year who lives at home. Have been considering moving on campus for the last two years of my degree (three to go after this year), but I'm not sure. We'll see what happens.

Spent my first year of uni away from home in the halls, was pretty much a disaster in how the halls were allocated. There were 8 rooms to each section of the halls, in my section there were 2 French guys, 2 Spanish, 2 German, a guy from Kenya and myself. The guy from Kenya was the only one who spoke relatively understandable English and he also ironed and washed my clothes for me for a reason I'll never quite understand - "I do this for my family at home, I do this for you here!". Luckily I made friends with people in my class and in other areas of the halls or else it would have been a long year in Bolton with a guy from Kenya.
:lmao

This is brilliant on so many levels.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Already been to uni but when I first moved into halls. Every single person I was living with (all 8 of them) were Irish...and doing Pharmacy. Very odd. It was a disaster though and I moved out after two weeks of halls. It's something great for some people, and not for others.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I start Uni on the 19th and I move in halls on the 10th. I haven't met any of my flatmates yet but I did go for the mix gender option so I'm guessing it will be 3 girls and 2 guys (not including me). I just hope I'm with the cool kids and not any squares.

·
✔
21,670 Posts
starting a new course next year for uni. dropped out of mine about 4 weeks ago because i realised i didnt want to do that every day in my life. probably going to enrol in a bachelor of commerce or management, havent totally decided yet

oh yeah i live at home and such

·
Banned
8,732 Posts
I live at home and am in my 3rd year of uni.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I moved away the first year of Uni, but they gave me the wrong house and also managed to put me on the wrong degree. MASSIVE FAILURE on the part of UCAS.

The people were amazing, if it was under different circumstances and I'd have stayed I'd have gotten along great with them all.

I moved back home and had to wait a year as it was too late to transfer and now I'm at home doing a different course instead at Hull University.

·
Registered
537 Posts
3rd year living away from home, 2nd in Uni kinda eh ... Dropped out first year first time

Never lived in halls though, sounds like absolute hell, in fact from what I can tell is, always have just lived with my friends

I also have no comprehension of why or how people live at home, fair enough money can be an issue for some people but loan and a job people, come on

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
The guy from Kenya was the only one who spoke relatively understandable English and he also ironed and washed my clothes for me for a reason I'll never quite understand - "I do this for my family at home, I do this for you here!".
That is genius.

Thankfully I was on a course jam packed with oddballs and geeks so I fit right in and really enjoyed myself. It amazed me how many students got homesick though - not that there's anything wrong with it but I thought more people would be glad to be rid of their parents for a few months.

·
You're a mong.
5,398 Posts
He was definitely an unintentionally hilarious guy, he'd often ask me what I'm laughing at but his broken English would just crack me up. The first time I met him and he said his name which was an incredibly long one that I could never have repeated, then went "just call me Dave" in the African-English accent - I almost cried laughing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts