Wrestling Forum banner

For Those Who Hate On Angle's TNA Work

3K views 43 replies 32 participants last post by  tboneangle 
#1 ·
I see a lot of people saying how that since Kurt Came to TNA his work has declined,and that his Storytelling is shit. I find this very untrue. While i admit that maybe 2011 was a bit rough due to his age and injuries,and sometimes his matches rely on big spots,the fact of the matter is i think his matches have the perfect balance of Spots AND Psychology. And I think some of his TNA Work has been his best.

Vs AJ-Hard Justice 2008-I think this was his best work as a heel. Amazing psychology,facial expressions,selling,very story driven match that had big spots as well.

VS Abyss Turning Point 2008-To the people say Angle needs someone better than him to work with,look at this match,he carried Abyss. Amazing storytelling in big man vs little man,from Angle running away in fear,to TARGETING Abyss's leg so he couldnt get back up and he could get the Ankle Lock,to Angle selling DEATH after the match,plus the spots,amazing stuff.

vs Desmond-3 Degrees of Pain-Actually no real spots,just fantastic wrestling and picking apart body parts and perfect selling where every move ment something.

vs Anderson-Lockdown 2010-Amazing Match.It had the spots,but the story told is why i like it so much,Angle's(and Andersons's) facials,taunts actions.Everything build off of their feud.Perfect match.

I really do believe Angle is the best ever,and his TNA has produced some of his best work.

See less See more
#8 ·
3 degrees of pain w/Nigel is one of my favorite matches ever. Each fall was a match and style within itself...they put on a clinic and the crowd responded well to everything they did. Highly underrated match by most and was not given the respect it deserved in comparison to other matches from 2009.

Reactions: tboneangle
#19 ·
Angle probably has the best collection of matches in TNA history, so I don't see how anyone can hate that hard.

Reactions: tboneangle
#13 ·
Your kidding right??

In wwe he was more fresh, looked like he actually ate and oh yeah...could keep peoples attention for a whole match. He pretty much has the same formula for every match hes in...I understand hes getting older and he kinda has todo that but they way tna tries making out to be the top guy of the company is what annoys me. There 15 guys on that roster who could out wrestle him and are far more entertaining..

#3 ·
I enjoy the Wolfe series, I prefer the Turning Point match though. 3 stages of pain I feel doesn't pick up pace till the second fall. Desmond was definitely someone who limited Angle well and got some good stuff out of him.

I haven't seen the AJ match and the Anderson match I'd have to watch again but I definitely think it's far too spot heavy. I've got a review I did for Abyss/Angle though which pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

Opening salvo is good. Commentary focuses on Angle running from Abyss, which reflects in the first few minutes with Kurt doing whatever he can to avoid Abyss charging after him. Angle then uses the ref and tries to jump him, doing a small bit of ankle work too before Abyss overpowers him and hits a shock treatment which gets a nearfall and Kurt runs into the crowd. Crowd segment feels a bit short as Abyss throws him back over, Kurt then brings a chair into play, hits him a couple times on the back (Tenay mentions how Abyss badly burnt it at BFG, wouldn't have been able to guess given he's walking fine) before Kurt then jumps off the stage and hits Abyss with a FLIP!~! Then it cuts to a break and comes back with an Angle slam which gets a two count. Then Abyss punches a chair into Angle face (his burnt back being fine after that Angle slam too btw) before wedging the chair between the ropes. Kurt does another 5 seconds of kneework before abyss throws him into the chair and hits a chokeslam. Don West throws a fit that Kurt kicks out before abyss lays the chair on Kurt and goes up to the top rope. Then Kurt dodges, gets up, hits Abyss with the chair this time and puts the chair on abyss and hits the MOONSAULT for another nearfall. This is just getting predictable. Abyss tries to hit a tombstone and Kurt goes for the ankle lock on the ankle he's spent a total of about 8 seconds working on. Shockingly Abyss kicks out and then hits a black hole slam out of nowhere. Then we actually get the first nearfall that is kind of a shock and for the first time Kurt doesn't get straight back up, actually tries to crawl away then runs through the crowd off to the Spanish announce desk (wonder what spot is coming now ) and starts climbing some scaffolding but gets caught, Abyss tries to gorilla press him through the table before Kurt hits a EUROPEAN UPPERCUT through the table for the three count. Amusing how a match which focused mainly on big move after big move ends with an uppercut (albeit through a table) but eh, a decent enough FCA match I guess.

Honestly the best thing I could say about Kurts work is if you look at his hot tag sequence at Slammiversary, it's essentially the basic Kurt Angle match with nothing missing except maybe a moonsault. He gets his suplexes in, looks intense, gets an Angle Slam and nearfall before going for an Ankle lock and all within a few minutes. And in those few minutes it fits. If Kurt stayed as a tag team wrestler and operateed off hot tags I'd actually become a much bigger fan of his ring work as a result. But he does too much in singles matches which irk me.

#4 ·
Overall i think his WWE run was more entertaining with better matches, but he did have a few matches in TNA at the same level, which offcourse were against Joe, AJ and Desmond. All 3 memorable, and if there ever is a "best of" dvd with his 10 best matches of his career, all 3 are definately on them.

But as soon as Angle works against someone i dont care about, like Anderson, Abyss or Hardy i just cant stay focussed and enjoy those matches, thats when i only start seeing spot after spot. But that might have more to do with my dislike for his opponents than Angle himself.

#6 ·
Kurt Angle is one of the best things to happen to TNA. He brings a lot of quality to the roster, also do you really think it's his fault the writers gave him some dumb feuds recently? For example Jeff Hardy vs Kurt was in my opinion absolutely horrible (I'm talking about Kurt wanting to hurt Jeff because everybody likes Jeff, I mean come on!).

#9 ·
Angle is better the slower he is, he did have a good match with AJ Styles this year, and only because AJ is one of those guys that can tell him to slow down a bit. Usually though, if you've seen one of his matches you've seen em all, he has a nice moveset and great wrestling ability but it rarely translates into a good, entertaining match.

#12 ·
Exactly. It depends on the match really,matches like the 1-4-10 impact against AJ,the No Surrender match against Hardy,the recent tag match,were all spotty but thats because they needed to be.the 1/4 match was supposed to show nonstop action to go up against the wwe. they had a more story driven match at Genesis. The hardy match was supposed to be about 2 guys not being able to put eachother away,the recent tag well look at the 4 involved and the fact is they only got 15 minutes,so there was no other option.

But like his matches against wolfe,even his match on ppv against sting last year,hell his 2 ppv matches this year against hardy and aj were more story driven. and i forgot the Genesis match against Jarrett witch was an excellent physical brawl with pure hatred with each guy giving it all until Angle used his last breath to outsmart Jarrett.

The thing is i feel Angle is perfect because whatever the match calls for he can adapt to

#15 ·
His 3 degrees of pain match against Desmond Wolfe is one of my favourites in TNA history. I've always remembered it because I believe it was the last PPV before Hogan and Bischoff arrived.

People who hate on Angle's work are usually the type who talk obsessively about "ring psychology" and shout "spot monkey!" at anyone who goes higher than the first rope. Angle is still one of the best in the business, even with age and injuries catching up with him.

#21 ·
I think some of the heat Kurt has gotten over time was related to how his arrival in TNA affected Samoa Joe. (Though that isn't really his fault.) Fair or not his personal problems probably haven't helped either.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed Kurt's work more than I did in 2001 or so. He was perfect as the underhanded but dorky heel. Still, I've liked Kurt's time in TNA overall and consider him one of the relatively few star pickups to have been worthwhile overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.