Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
......why do you watch WWE?

I have seen quite a few people on here, one in particular, come right out and say that "I don't care about the wrestling aspect. I only care about the character and the entertainment value."

If that's all you care about, then why watch wrestling? Yes, it lends itself to be an athletic soap opera, but there is always going to be that little thing called wrestling that will get in the way of that. Yes, you have your characters, storylines, things of that nature, but it all leads up to the big match. And guess what? If the match flops, all that build, characters, and mic skills that most of you care about so greatly means little to nothing.

So, once again, to those of you who only care about entertainment and not wrestling, why watch it? Watch the soaps or something.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
......why do you watch WWE?

I have seen quite a few people on here, one in particular, come right out and say that "I don't care about the wrestling aspect. I only care about the charater and the entertainment value."

If that's all you care about, then why watch wrestling? Yes, it lends itself to be an athletic soap opera, but there is always going to be that little thing called wrestling that will get in the way of that. Yes, you have your characters, storylines, things of that nature, but it all leads up to the big match. And guess what? If the match flops, all that build, characters, and mic skills that most of you care about so greatly means little to nothing.

So, once again, to those of you who only care about entertainment and not wrestling, why watch it? Watch the soaps or something.
I often wonder this as well. I mean its not like Pro-Wrestling has some of the best acting.....probably some of the worst compared to everything else thats out there. I mean if you want actual characters, watch movies, tv shows, something like that where the acting is actually the main aspect.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
I've always wondered this myself.

As a person who appreciated in-ring ability more than mic skill, I can safely say I don't watch WWE for only mic skills and gimmicks. But, I will say that no matter how much you kick ass in the ring, you need at least some character to get the complete job done.

Maybe it's a talent thing. Maybe they watch just to see the people they hate lose. Maybe they're entertained enough without the wrestling. Who knows.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
You could've just said Pyro since we all know who you're talking about.

I always ask that question and the response is always "Well, WWE has more then just wrestling."

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
you misunderstand us... i prefer the gimmicks, mic work but i still love wrestling. I just think that mic skills and charisma are more important in being a star than in ring work.

·
copy of a copy of a
3,752 Posts
You portray your character in the match and sell a story to the audience, that's pro wrestling. "Character and entertainment value" are there if the wrestlers possess the skill of storytelling and in-ring psychology. It's a dying art.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mic work and gimmicks are very important but at the end of the day the matches have to be worth watching. Barrett can deliver great promos but if his matches are garbage I don't care about him. Then of course you have guys like Orton who are boring on the mic and then even more boring with thier cut and paste matches.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
this thread is really only for Pyro, it doesn't really apply to anyone else. he's the only person here that i've seen say they don't care at all about the wrestling part. everone else on that side just PREFERS mic skills and gimmicks, to wrestling. there's obviously a difference.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Mic work and gimmicks are very important but at the end of the day the matches have to be worth watching. Barrett can deliver great promos but if his matches are garbage I don't care about him. Then of course you have guys like Orton who are boring on the mic and then even more boring with thier cut and paste matches.
I would say that the Barrett vs. Orton matches are a counter-example. A lot of the reason the Barrett/Orton matches fell flat is because the content of the matches didn't matter. In both cases, the end of the match was what we were waiting for. Also, in both cases, the feud was between Barrett and Cena, not Barrett and Orton. Barrett and Orton didn't even hate each other.

If anything, this is a perfect example of how storyline was more important than wrestling. Cena and Barrett had a great match just a couple months ago.

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I was little I watched WWF for the matched, I would always rent videos in no particular from the late 80's early 90's just to watch the matchups, and "fighting." At the very same time ironically that I started to tune into Raw and other WWF programing the attitude era hit and story lines became a lot more of the "central focus." I started to enjoy this more because it would build up a match and give you more complex things (in terms of wrestling) to look foreword to in the future, It also made wrestlers less genric and gave them personalities. But with all that said, when it comes down to it you want to see the guys in the ring and the outcome of the match. The WWE/F can exist without mic skills, but it cant exist without matches

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
I don't like "shows". 24, Weeds, Lost etc etc etc. I just can't get into them.
WWE is my "show" I watch it to be entertained. Anytime there's a solid to great match it's a HUGEEEE bonus , but I don't mind sitting through the 100's of two star matches. That is , as long as the E is pulling its load by entertaining me.

I'm also a fan a good wrestling whether it be awesome , insane spotfests or great intense , technical matches.
For that I watch ROH or PWG. I'm getting my wrestling from them , so I'm not upset when WWE has shitty wrestlers.

I'm not saying ROH or PWG doesn't entertain too and I'm not saying all WWE wrestlers are shitty.

WWE is super convenient to keep up with and there's the added bonus of it being wrestling.... something I've loved since I was like 5. It gives me a "show" to look forward to each and every week.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
I enjoy the storylines and then their is always one match of the night that gains the fans complete attention. But nobody can only care about the mic skills and gimmicks narrow your those to whom.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Considering WWE is basically tailor made for people who only care about mic skills and gimmicks, I'd say it actually makes perfect sense.

The best example I've seen of this is on AM Raw, when they play a condensed one hour version of Raw on Saturday night (in the US). I swear, I've been up watching that, and there have been episodes of AM Raw that were literally just talking segments. Not one minute of wrestling. Pretty much encapsulates the WWE philosophy.

And hey, it works for them, so it's hard to really criticize it.

·
@delecast
4,407 Posts
I don't like "shows". 24, Weeds, Lost etc etc etc. I just can't get into them.
WWE is my "show" I watch it to be entertained. Anytime there's a solid to great match it's a HUGEEEE bonus , but I don't mind sitting through the 100's of two star matches. That is , as long as the E is pulling its load by entertaining me.

I'm also a fan a good wrestling whether it be awesome , insane spotfests or great intense , technical matches.
For that I watch ROH or PWG. I'm getting my wrestling from them , so I'm not upset when WWE has shitty wrestlers.

I'm not saying ROH or PWG doesn't entertain too and I'm not saying all WWE wrestlers are shitty.

WWE is super convenient to keep up with and there's the added bonus of it being wrestling.... something I've loved since I was like 5. It gives me a "show" to look forward to each and every week.
This is the right answer. We can close and sticky the thread.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Physical wrestling skills are very important and ofcourse the basis of being a successful wrestler, but you need to hook the crowd in to care about you using attitude and charisma otherwise all the technical wrestling in the world won't help you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well I think storylines are important, but mic skills are in general are overrated. As stone cold said recently in an interview "At this stage in their career they (wrestlers) are not actors".

There are plenty of ways to get across storylines and themes without the wrestlers giving 10 minute monologues. Managers, valets, promo videos, in-ring actions/charisma...getting your gimmick across *IN THE RING* is an underrated art form.

The combination of a great feud, with a great story culminating in great matches is the pinnacle though. Probably why, IMO, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels is the greatest feud of all time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
both are important, personality and storyline moreso, its easier to care about a wrestling match when there is personality and storyline involved. if not for the great personalities and stories, than whats left? just a fight between 2 guys.
The sad fact is that without the promo's, hype and everything else,there isn't a lot left.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Lawler said in his book "Try watching the WWE with your TV completely muted. It would be incredibly boring."

I don't doubt that a small minority of people here would claim that scrapping all the other stuff would be great, and they'd enjoy their 2 hours a week of watching The Miz stumble around a ring, but they are lying. The most entertaining guys ever to me (Rock, Jericho and Edge ((shoot me. Edge is awesome)) ) all built feuds around entertaining mic work and promo's.

Besides, mic work sells PPV's. Based on matches, I would not pay money to see someone beat up HHH. But when he opens his mouth, and whole torrents of annoying burst out, I'm practically begging someone to kick the snot out of him. Which tends to only happen on PPV.

Er... I think I've lost the plot a little. Anyway, Mic skills are an essential part of a modern day wrestler. Probably more important than being able to wrestle. Just look at The Miz.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
The sad fact is that without the promo's, hype and everything else,there isn't a lot left.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Lawler said in his book "Try watching the WWE with your TV completely muted. It would be incredibly boring."

I don't doubt that a small minority of people here would claim that scrapping all the other stuff would be great, and they'd enjoy their 2 hours a week of watching The Miz stumble around a ring, but they are lying. The most entertaining guys ever to me (Rock, Jericho and Edge ((shoot me. Edge is awesome)) ) all built feuds around entertaining mic work and promo's.

Besides, mic work sells PPV's. Based on matches, I would not pay money to see someone beat up HHH. But when he opens his mouth, and whole torrents of annoying burst out, I'm practically begging someone to kick the snot out of him. Which tends to only happen on PPV.

Er... I think I've lost the plot a little. Anyway, Mic skills are an essential part of a modern day wrestler. Probably more important than being able to wrestle. Just look at The Miz.
Mic skills are very important but ring skills are just as important.

Because if you can't go in the ring, all the hype goes away and you're left with disappointed fans and that's not good.

Triple H & Randy Orton feud from last year had some of the best build-up of this PG Era but the matches failed to deliver leaving a lot of fans disappointed at the result and the way the match went.

I also find the actual matches more important sense the promos, the segments, the angles are all hyping up the match, which is hyped up as the boiling point which everyone wants to see.

It can be related to the literary pyramid you have your rising action (promos, segments, & angles) that gets you hooked to the book (storyline) and makes you want to continue reading (continue watching) to see what's gonna happen next, which leads to the climax or in this case, the match.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Well I think storylines are important, but mic skills are in general are overrated. As stone cold said recently in an interview "At this stage in their career they (wrestlers) are not actors".

There are plenty of ways to get across storylines and themes without the wrestlers giving 10 minute monologues. Managers, valets, promo videos, in-ring actions/charisma...getting your gimmick across *IN THE RING* is an underrated art form.

The combination of a great feud, with a great story culminating in great matches is the pinnacle though. Probably why, IMO, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels is the greatest feud of all time.
Bret vs. Shawn was a great feud because those two legitimately hated each other.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts