Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded all the WWF Raws from 99 & 2000 and the first one I re-watched tonight, 4th Jan 1999 with the Rock vs Mankind No DQ match, fucking hell when Stone Cold's music hits...

You just don't get pops like that anymore people! :)

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Obviously the fan reactions were way better back then. You had 15,000+ fans with majority of them being 18+ males who could cheer so much louder than wwe fans of today and most of them would choose watching raw over any other show on a monday night so you had a dedicated fanbase right there.

Though if you compare WWE crowds in non USA cities to wwe crowds of 10 years ago, at times they are about the same in terms of how loud they are.

Only thing I really liked about attitude era is that they had stable wars and so many storylines. The matches themselves weren't really that great, but storylines for these matches made them so much better.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I downloaded all the WWF Raws from 99 & 2000 and the first one I re-watched tonight, 4th Jan 1999 with the Rock vs Mankind No DQ match, fucking hell when Stone Cold's music hits...

You just don't get pops like that anymore people! :)

In that video it looks like you have Stone Cold, Rock, Foley, DX fighting on the outside and Vince and shane around the ring. It is basically the hall of fame.

Now picture Miz and kane giving each other restholds inside the ring, surrounded by nexus standing silently with their arms folded. Teddy long and a talking music stand are also on the outside. Then the music hits and out walks a guy wearing jeans shorts, jordans and a matching purple T-Shirt and baseball cap to clean house. It just doesn't seem to conjure the same response.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
While it was one of my personal favourite moments from watching wrestling as a kid, it's fair to say that it's one of the biggest pops of all time, and it really was a lightning in the bottle moment where every single element converged perfectly. That wasn't a regular event, it's one of the stand out moments in professional wrestling history.

It's a little bit difficult to compare it to currently, or really any other time, because a reaction like that wouldn't occur with better booking, or a higher calibre of wrestler, or the right wrestler's first world title win. For a comparable reaction now, we'd need a complete change in society's attitudes toward wrestling as a whole, and that's not really something you can reasonably expect from the company.

I will have to go and watch that match again, though. I've never gotten bored of it, hard to believe it was 11 years ago. That's just under half my life, it shows how well that moment stood up.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Now picture Miz and kane giving each other restholds inside the ring, surrounded by nexus standing silently with their arms folded. Teddy long and a talking music stand are also on the outside. Then the music hits and out walks a guy wearing jeans shorts, jordans and a matching purple T-Shirt and baseball cap to clean house. It just doesn't seem to conjure the same response.
if that were to actually happen u probably would get a similar response come to think of it..

·
Registered
149 Posts
It was a very special time but there are ups and downs.

Again it all links back to the same point I always make....

Why did people "POP" then because they cared about the characters. WWE needs to slow down its pushes to WWE title, rebuild all the divisions and let the wrestlers find there own level when those "pops" start happening then they get to rise through!!!!

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Honestly. I just think some people on here just try to find loop holes in the Attitude era to bash it non-stop. Most of us who grew up during that era knows it wasn’t perfect.

Mae Young gives birth to a hand? Stupid crap like that, we cringed at it too but however it was the boom period of pro wrestling and the booking/creative is 100000x better then the crap I’m watching today. It wasn’t perfect but it’s much better then the shit I’m trying to still manage to get through.

And it’s not just cause it’s PG now, it’s just the booking/creative/tag team and divas division, the crowd, character build, over scripted promos, the lack of caring for the mid-card,have the show revolving around one guy completely, the same dull feuds that happens 20x a year are all horrible right now.

The actual wrestling of today will always shit on the Attitude Era’s (except for 2000/01) that I will have no problem to admit but everything else? Is just watered down and non-excusable. That’s why a lot of wrestlers now (more so in the upper or lower card) from the interviews and reports I’m reading/listening too, they are unhappy in the WWE right now and wants to leave.

In the Attitude Era EVERYONE was getting their time in, from Crash Holly to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Attitude Era/Post Attitude Era (Ruthless Aggression)>>>>>PG Era

·
3,990 Posts
I'll take a substantially better in-ring product with quieter pops over loud pops with a very lacklustre in-ring product. Although it would be nice to have the best of both worlds.
You must never watched WWE in the Aggression Era then. Cause that's pretty much was it.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
People who say attitude era was crap most of the time blame the wrestling of time.
Apparently 45 minute matches consisting of headlocks on each episode would be better than Rock & Austin making WWF the most enjoyable show on TV at the time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Great moment. The Attitude Era was one of the best times in wrestling history for sure but I still stand by my opinion that 2010 > 1999. 1999 absolutely sucked, the majority of it wasn't good television at all but 1998 and 2000 were two of the best years in wrestling history and the couple of years before it truly became the Attitude Era were great too.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,598 Posts
People have their own preferences. I personally loves the attitude era. The storylines, the wrestlers, the tag division, the enviornment, the promos. They were all great. People rag on the matches but there are still so many memorable matches from that era at the same time. Nothing for me will ever come close to wrestling from 1997-2001(although 2002/3 were quite ok) not unless they have a boom period like attiude era.

·
3,990 Posts
People who say attitude era was crap most of the time blame the wrestling of time.
Apparently 45 minute matches consisting of headlocks on each episode would be better than Rock & Austin making WWF the most enjoyable show on TV at the time.
They are just in denial. That’s all, I will assume it’s more from the fans who just started watching wrestling from 2006.

They accept watered down wrestling AND entertainment and they accept one sided feuds like Rey Mysterio/Big Show destroying CM Punk for almost a year.

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
In that video it looks like you have Stone Cold, Rock, Foley, DX fighting on the outside and Vince and shane around the ring. It is basically the hall of fame.

it's depressing just tihkning about it.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
They are just in denial. That’s all, I will assume it’s more from the fans who just started watching wrestling from 2006.

They accept watered down wrestling AND entertainment and they accept one sided feuds like Rey Mysterio/Big Show destroying CM Punk for almost a year.
Started watching in 1991, thanks, and I don't accept those feuds. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single poster on the forum who wanted those feuds to succinctly bury the SES.

But I don't elevate the Attitude Era (certainly not 98/99/00 on to some absurd pedestal that it doesn't actually deserve either. Every era has its high points and low points: the Attitude Era's high points was strong characters and loud crowds. The actual wrestling product was definitely not a high point.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts