Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy Orton is a face that has a similar type of polarizing reaction to John Cena and Roman Reigns on the internet. My question is, why doesn't Orton have "LET'S GO RANDY, RANDY SUCKS" type of reactions? When he's face, even if he's the champion, he doesn't get that loud kind of response against the person he faces. In a match where he was facing Jinder Mahal, JINDER MAHAL got Cena/Roman type reactions for "let's go Jinder, Jinder sucks". His name ends up not being mentioned in the match.

In my opinion, it kind of kills his big match environments because of a lack of energy to his matches. Whenever he beats someone that people really love, he doesn't get an uproar of boos like Reigns or Cena, I remember reports of SummerSlam 2013 that people walked out of the building DEAD silent, not even talking to each other. When he beats someone that people have a distain for, for the title, it's still just meant with shrugs in the audience. Granted he can pop the crowd with slick delivered moves like the RKO but it just seems kinda dull, because it doesn't make for entertaining TV when he's not eliciting a ton of energy from the crowd. He doesn't even have a catch phrase that makes his smart mark haters boo like saying "This Is My Yard" or The Champ is Here" to piss people off that he's on top. I would have enjoyed his title reign for that alone, if he could get that, the most he got was just a SLIGHT negative reaction from a SmackdownAfterMania crowd. Just a slight, but then everyone just went dead and light cheered for him in the main event of the PPV.

It's like he fits in the same category, but can't get passionate reactions from his hatedom or fandom. Why?

·
Baby Yoda
30,136 Posts
Randy at his best is far more entertaining than both IMO. The problem is he's in and out of it too often, both in terms of card placement and energy for feuds.

That RKO he pulled off on Lesnar was better than anything I've seen from Cena and Orton.

I was marking out man...

Paul Heyman - "Randy Orton, you ain't gonna hit no RKO at SummerSlam. You're not man enough to get Brock Lesnar in position for an RKO. You'll never hit an RKO on The Beast!" :mark: :mark: :mark: :sodone

Mark out moment of the year, easy.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Not really sure what you’re driving at here. Randy consistently gets some of the best reactions in the company as a babyface and that is felt in almost all of his matches even without having a flashy moveset.

And unlike John Cena or Roman Reigns, he’s a guy who when he is a babyface and supposed to be getting cheered, he does.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really sure what you’re driving at here. Randy consistently gets some of the best reactions in the company as a babyface and that is felt in almost all of his matches even without having a flashy moveset.

And unlike John Cena or Roman Reigns, he’s a guy who when he is a babyface and supposed to be getting cheered, he does.
REALLY, is that why he was booed during his promo on the Smackdown after Mania? Is that also why on the Raw After Mania 2015, you had people cheering for Ryback and not Orton and Reigns?

Also consistently getting the best reactions? Have you been missing his whole title reign and his backlash match? He didn't receive that much during his title run and you had everyone making a LOUDER opinion over Jinder Mahal. You can HEAR rejection similar to those two names I mentioned in certain Randy Orton babyface segments, but you never get the same concentrated passion. He was getting more reactions during his heel run with Wyatt and as soon as he won the title, he went cold. It didn't help that he beat AJ Styles going into his WWE title match to get the title shot.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
REALLY, is that why he was booed during his promo on the Smackdown after Mania? Is that also why on the Raw After Mania 2015, you had people cheering for Ryback and not Orton and Reigns?

Also consistently getting the best reactions? Have you been missing his whole title reign and his backlash match? He didn't receive that much during his title run and you had everyone making a LOUDER opinion over Jinder Mahal. You can HEAR rejection similar to those two names I mentioned in certain Randy Orton babyface segments, but you never get the same concentrated passion. He was getting more reactions during his heel run with Wyatt and as soon as he won the title, he went cold. It didn't help that he beat AJ Styles going into his WWE title match to get the title shot.
Has he had his moments where he’s gotten booed yes. But apart from a few times, has he gotten the constant negative reaction that Cena and Reigns do? No, he hasn’t. And why that is I can’t really explain.

And while I didn’t care for the match, isn’t it an indicator that Jinder’s hottest match ever was because he was with Orton? I mean, to the people who watched the match, did the people react when Orton was on offense? Did they react when Orton was throwing around the Singh brothers? Did they react loudly when he hit his finisher? The answer to all these questions are yes.

I’m far from Orton’s #1 fan, but let’s not act like he doesn’t have great, positive reactions to his matches. And I guarantee you WWE would love if Roman was getting those reactions consistently.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
Randy at his best is far more entertaining than both IMO. The problem is he's in and out of it too often, both in terms of card placement and energy for feuds.

That RKO he pulled off on Lesnar was better than anything I've seen from Cena and Orton.

I was marking out man...

Paul Heyman - "Randy Orton, you ain't gonna hit no RKO at SummerSlam. You're not man enough to get Brock Lesnar in position for an RKO. You'll never hit an RKO on The Beast!" :mark: :mark: :mark: :sodone

Mark out moment of the year, easy.
At this point the RKO is the only thing that is over about him.

Nobody gave a fuck about his last title reign.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Randy Orton's association is what get most of the nobodies in the spotlight.Where is harper? He is already forgotten.Before Randy came around did anybody give a f about wyatts?
Jinder is only main eventing bcoz of Orton?
Nobody except Cena could help Jinder in the main event.
AJ styles,Roman reigns couldn't even main event with Jinder in the weekly episodes.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Well Orton's a guy with main event credentials and someone the casuals know due to his long term stay at the top. Most of the casuals cheer him purely because out of all the wrestlers, they highly likely know him the most. Its not really on how entertaining he is. His hardcore fanbase is far more mixed. Orton is never too boring or too entertaining for one stretch of time so he never gets the hardcore fans fully behind him or against him. Instead, theres just a mild cheering or booing from hardcore fans combined with a decent face pop from casuals and you're looking at every Orton pop in 2017.

Reactions: IceTheRetroKid

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Randy stays over as a face. But for people who pay attention to the product a lot more than the average person. Baby face orton is not cutting the cake because his feuds and himself just seem "there"

·
Registered
519 Posts
Terrible poker face with a very obvious clock in, clock out mentality in the ring and on the stick.

In the 10 months since his return, he's pulled a grand total of 0 excellent matches, with just a handful of good ones.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Randy Orton is probably one of my favourite wrestlers right now, he is still super over, despite how dull he can be at times, the man is talented and people know this.

I think he is bordering that time in his career where people are respecting him, and if they find him boring or hate him they will sit on their hands and not boo.

It takes alot of effort tpo boo someone, there's that passion for wanting to hate someone, be it Cena or Reigns, with Orton its kind of 'meh' or 'whatever'

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
At this point the RKO is the only thing that is over about him.

Nobody gave a fuck about his last title reign.
Of course nobody gave a fuck, he shouldn't have got another title reign to begin with. He buried Wyatt even more as a reward for allowing Brock to smash his head like a pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Randy Orton is not really hated by fans and he helps anyone who is with him in something unlike Cena/Roman.

He was never pushed to be forced as the FOTC.

He is respected in the business by all the legends and young new comers (just Indies now trying to get attention by using RKO in matches).

Randy Orton when he was heel before Mania he couldn't get hate at all that he even tried DX crotch chop and the middle finger in house shows and still didn't work.

He gets loud reactions everyweek in house shows and TV ,I remember before Survivor Series when there was the segment that had the top 10 men in the company on RAW there were RKO chants that you can hear.

The most important thing is that he really put over anyone if it is really needed,Bray should have retained the title if he didn't move to RAW that is why Bray was mad when he knew the move.

People claim that he is not good in the ring but then he has good matches every PPV except for Bray who never brought it in the ring himself,he had a match of the night with Luke Harper at Elimination Chamber,made the crowd care about random match between him and Erick fucking Rowan on Smackdown,and tried his best to get something out of Jinder fucking Mahal.

Wrestling machines like Daniel Bryan,Christian,and Rey said Randy is the best worker they have ever faced.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't really feel like Randy Orton has a "polarizing" fan base like Roman Reigns or John Cena and instead, it's more people who don't like Orton are indifferent to what he does. Therefore, they aren't as vocal as either Reigns or Cena detractors creating the more toned down reactions.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
As someone pointed out, he's comes and goes - so he's a little less overexposed.

Also, he isn't booked quite as strongly most times. So, the ending of every match isn't quite so predictable most times. You think they'd put Jinder over Reigns or Cena?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts