Wrestling Forum banner
581 - 600 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hope if these owners fail to sell their clubs then they're punished heavily. This isn't a victory if they're just going to push for the same thing in 5 to 7 years time.

The new Champions League format sounds terrible too. Nobody is going to watch the big games in the group stages because all the teams are going to go through anyway. It will be like those boring Asian friendlies in the summer nobody cares about.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I hope if these owners fail to sell their clubs then they're punished heavily. This isn't a victory if they're just going to push for the same thing in 5 to 7 years time.

The new Champions League format sounds terrible too. Nobody is going to watch the big games in the group stages because all the teams are going to go through anyway. It will be like those boring Asian friendlies in the summer nobody cares about.
I mean people are skipping the current group stages now anyway. We just have to ignore 4 more games now with the new format until the good stuff.

It is comical while we are all raging at the superleague that they snuck in the same qualification double standards in the reforms to appease the big clubs.

·
Head em up, Move em out
2,812 Posts
Uefa are the most corrupt organisation since the New York mafia. They have done fuckall about racism, fuckall about financial fair play and have created this model of the big clubs getting richer and more powerful. They have basically treated every fan like a mug for many years yet with the collapse of the ESL they remain in control of every aspect of European football. And this is supposed to be a great victory for the fans? Really?

The level of delusion amongst the vast majority of English football fans and pundits is beyond alarming

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
It is mostly better the devil we know kind of thing. The ESL was a first step towards an American style franchise-controlling league that would eventually lead to even smaller teams being unable to qualify for the damn thing. Whether that is good for football or not depends on one's preference I guess.

At the end of the day it was the big clubs versus Uefa on who gets to control the money. Uefa is corrupt as fk but they also had to give token money to the smaller teams and maintain the illusion. ESL would just end up with the many owners controlling all the money while doing fk all with the sporting side of thing like many American franchise owners.

·
Registered
348 Posts
After watching Arsenal tonight I'm gutted that they didn't let us see this elite team play the best teams in the world every week.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Manchester United fans actually caused a postponement of the biggest fixture in the league.

Was the superleague the tipping point for fans perception of ownership?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Manchester United fans actually caused a postponement of the biggest fixture in the league.

Was the superleague the tipping point for fans perception of ownership?
The super league helped wake fans up. They have power, not much, but they've shown if they kick up a fuss they can enact change. At Liverpool we've seen alot of bad policies overturned and got two bad owners out, by making use of our voices at key moments. Good on United fans for taking the momentum and using it to try and bring about change at their football club. They've clearly felt powerless about the situation there and now the superleague issue has shown that they can get their voice heard. They just have to be mighty noisy about it. Hopefully it encourages Newcastle fans to do the same and anywhere else where owners are taking the piss.

I still don't think fans will get ownership. The moneymen will be keen to get fans back in their boxes as soon as possible and you can see from the media response to the protests, that this won't be tolerated for long. At best pressure will be put on the glazers to sell to help bring back the status quo. Otherwise Fifa, UEFA and the Premier League will do what they can to protect their pockets and they'll hope the reopening of stadiums will sort out fan morale.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Uefa are the most corrupt organisation since the New York mafia. They have done fuckall about racism, fuckall about financial fair play and have created this model of the big clubs getting richer and more powerful. They have basically treated every fan like a mug for many years yet with the collapse of the ESL they remain in control of every aspect of European football. And this is supposed to be a great victory for the fans? Really?

The level of delusion amongst the vast majority of English football fans and pundits is beyond alarming
The Superleague being stopped was a great victory for football supporters. UEFA and the rest being twats more interested in lining their own pockets then protecting the game does not make that untrue. Once the twelve sides involved have got rid of their owners or at the very least reformed the decision making process at those clubs, then UEFA, FIFA and the rest have to be next.

If anything should be learnt from this, its that if UEFA wants to keep their nose in the trough, they need to stop cosying up to the biggest sides and start bringing through changes which helps bring other nations into the game. As you say the concentration of the games wealth to England and the biggest sides in Spain, Italy and Germany has caused this problem and this was all brought about by the Champions league format. The latest Switzerland format in particular needs to be destroyed as it promises to focus the power more on these sides and if not, then UEFA has to go.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
The super league helped wake fans up. They have power, not much, but they've shown if they kick up a fuss they can enact change. At Liverpool we've seen alot of bad policies overturned and got two bad owners out, by making use of our voices at key moments. Good on United fans for taking the momentum and using it to try and bring about change at their football club. They've clearly felt powerless about the situation there and now the superleague issue has shown that they can get their voice heard. They just have to be mighty noisy about it. Hopefully it encourages Newcastle fans to do the same and anywhere else where owners are taking the piss.

I still don't think fans will get ownership. The moneymen will be keen to get fans back in their boxes as soon as possible and you can see from the media response to the protests, that this won't be tolerated for long. At best pressure will be put on the glazers to sell to help bring back the status quo. Otherwise Fifa, UEFA and the Premier League will do what they can to protect their pockets and they'll hope the reopening of stadiums will sort out fan morale.
I don't think fans are actually aware of anything more after the superleague. It is still business as usual at UEFA with the new format. I don't think we enacted any change as much as UEFA and FIFA making a stink out of the superleague with their media partners that spooked the big clubs from going through with it. At the end of the day I feel most fans still judge owners by how much of a bottomless pit of money they are to buy and retain the best players.

I don't really see any solution since us fans can't really pressure owners to sell unless someone meet their valuation. And people that can afford to meet their asking price are probably more like them than like us fans. I mean look at Liverpool, their new owners helped finance a side to win the champion's league and their first league title in almost 30 years. But they are also the ones that pushed for new EPL structural change to give more power to the bigger clubs with project big picture.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think fans are actually aware of anything more after the superleague. It is still business as usual at UEFA with the new format. I don't think we enacted any change as much as UEFA and FIFA making a stink out of the superleague with their media partners that spooked the big clubs from going through with it. At the end of the day I feel most fans still judge owners by how much of a bottomless pit of money they are to buy and retain the best players.

I don't really see any solution since us fans can't really pressure owners to sell unless someone meet their valuation. And people that can afford to meet their asking price are probably more like them than like us fans. I mean look at Liverpool, their new owners helped finance a side to win the champion's league and their first league title in almost 30 years. But they are also the ones that pushed for new EPL structural change to give more power to the bigger clubs with project big picture.
Definitely the casual football fan generally rates their owner on the grounds on how much money they spend. At Liverpool for example, there was a contingent of fans unhappy with the ownership due to the perceived lack of investment in the club despite all the success that has happened under their tenure. I myself didn't mind FSG until they started stirring the pot with the Super League and big picture. Generally they run our club pretty well but they have made mistakes which reveals their ignorance when it comes to the culture at Liverpool and in English football. If you look at Chelsea and Man City where it seems fans are happy as long as the club forgets the super league you again can see that so long as the owner spends their nature will be forgiven. However I think the fans general outrage was what spooked the clubs. The media reaction without the fans backing that up wouldn't have meant alot to the clubs. If the fans had reacted positively or were just 'meh' then they could have counted on sky and the rest getting on board once those tv rights came into play. Definitely though football wants to go back to business as usual and its important fans don't let that happen.

Liverpool is actually the perfect example of what fans can do to change their club. FSG would never have been in the position to get Liverpool in the cut price they did had Liverpool fans not hounded the previous owners out the club. We got lucky that there were some favourable circumstances but Hicks and Gillett would have wrecked the club had we had a more docile fanbase. The owners had issues with loans they had set up against the club and fans became aware of this. So when it came to refinancing the loans the fans, in particular the group the spirit of the shankly, put pressure on absolutely every creditor who might look at them. Hicks and Gillett were unable to secure the refinancing and were ousted. FSG have been very careful since then to make sure these groups aren't overly annoyed at them, often u-turning on issues such as ticket prices and furlough and then meeting with fans when these fans voice their unhappiness. They are currently organising meetings to defuse any reactions like what we've seen at United. Importantly though, fans at least feel they have a voice at Liverpool, even if its not the most important thing when it comes to the club making decisions. Alot of hassle could have been avoided if fans were asked first. Essentially the way to oust owners is to target the money. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are huge institutions and if they can gather enough people to pressure sponsors and organise boycotts they can cause corporate entities to get nervous. It does need some willingness in the boardroom to move the owners out though.

United are on the right track if they want their club back. It will take a sustained campaign of disruption, a basic issue of if you don't go, we dont play. This will eventually cause issues to peoples pockets and then the pressure will mount on the owners to sell. If United dont play, then people arent watching adverts on Sky and so on and so on. There will be hurdles to that including within their own fanbase as there will be differences between hardcores and those that just want to watch the game. Sky and the rest will do their best to cause these fans to go against each other. Who United get after that is another matter, as you say but for a club the size of United there will be plenty of buyers. If United just spent the money that comes in each season they will be better off then under the glazers. In the perfect world any future owners would have to come in with fan representation on board, but thats unlikely to happen. If United manage it though it will be huge for football in England. It will empower fans at Arsenal, Newcastle, West ham and others lower down where their is disgruntlement with the ownership and if clubs can force fan representation at the clubs then they can also lobby the governing bodies to reform for the better too. We're a long way from that and we're more likely to go back to business as usual, but hopefully this is the beginning of something big.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Definitely the casual football fan generally rates their owner on the grounds on how much money they spend. At Liverpool for example, there was a contingent of fans unhappy with the ownership due to the perceived lack of investment in the club despite all the success that has happened under their tenure. I myself didn't mind FSG until they started stirring the pot with the Super League and big picture. Generally they run our club pretty well but they have made mistakes which reveals their ignorance when it comes to the culture at Liverpool and in English football. If you look at Chelsea and Man City where it seems fans are happy as long as the club forgets the super league you again can see that so long as the owner spends their nature will be forgiven. However I think the fans general outrage was what spooked the clubs. The media reaction without the fans backing that up wouldn't have meant alot to the clubs. If the fans had reacted positively or were just 'meh' then they could have counted on sky and the rest getting on board once those tv rights came into play. Definitely though football wants to go back to business as usual and its important fans don't let that happen.

Liverpool is actually the perfect example of what fans can do to change their club. FSG would never have been in the position to get Liverpool in the cut price they did had Liverpool fans not hounded the previous owners out the club. We got lucky that there were some favourable circumstances but Hicks and Gillett would have wrecked the club had we had a more docile fanbase. The owners had issues with loans they had set up against the club and fans became aware of this. So when it came to refinancing the loans the fans, in particular the group the spirit of the shankly, put pressure on absolutely every creditor who might look at them. Hicks and Gillett were unable to secure the refinancing and were ousted. FSG have been very careful since then to make sure these groups aren't overly annoyed at them, often u-turning on issues such as ticket prices and furlough and then meeting with fans when these fans voice their unhappiness. They are currently organising meetings to defuse any reactions like what we've seen at United. Importantly though, fans at least feel they have a voice at Liverpool, even if its not the most important thing when it comes to the club making decisions. Alot of hassle could have been avoided if fans were asked first. Essentially the way to oust owners is to target the money. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are huge institutions and if they can gather enough people to pressure sponsors and organise boycotts they can cause corporate entities to get nervous. It does need some willingness in the boardroom to move the owners out though.

United are on the right track if they want their club back. It will take a sustained campaign of disruption, a basic issue of if you don't go, we dont play. This will eventually cause issues to peoples pockets and then the pressure will mount on the owners to sell. If United dont play, then people arent watching adverts on Sky and so on and so on. There will be hurdles to that including within their own fanbase as there will be differences between hardcores and those that just want to watch the game. Sky and the rest will do their best to cause these fans to go against each other. Who United get after that is another matter, as you say but for a club the size of United there will be plenty of buyers. If United just spent the money that comes in each season they will be better off then under the glazers. In the perfect world any future owners would have to come in with fan representation on board, but thats unlikely to happen. If United manage it though it will be huge for football in England. It will empower fans at Arsenal, Newcastle, West ham and others lower down where their is disgruntlement with the ownership and if clubs can force fan representation at the clubs then they can also lobby the governing bodies to reform for the better too. We're a long way from that and we're more likely to go back to business as usual, but hopefully this is the beginning of something big.
If the media didn't poison the well of the perception of the superleague, I doubt many casual fans would give a crap to be honest. Like almost nobody is making a noise about the champion's league reforms that is just a few steps away from the superleague's protection of bigger clubs.

FSG didn't get the club for cheap primarily because of fans pressure but because the previous owners were losing money and had a falling out. Glazers saddled United with much more debt over the years and nobody pushed them out despite fans unrest because they had the numbers to back them up with creditors. Also FSG are the ones pushing for many of the changes to give more control in how competitions are run to the bigger clubs, without consulting with fans. Seems like Liverpool fans are more willing to forgive them because of recent successes. Which brings it all back to most fans mostly judge owners by the success on the pitch and how much money the owners are willing to spend to achieve that.

Only people I see that can afford to buy United will be something like FSG or similar groups who let's admit it, will continue to try to create a system to benefit big clubs more to reduce risks to their investment. Glazers aren't hurting for money like the previous Liverpool owners and can hold as long as United keep bringing in the revenue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Man United fans anger has been drip fed over 16 years with the Glaziers. They've not made any effort to communicate with the fans and the first time they hear from Joel Glazier was about this Super League confirming he doesnt care about the fans or the history of the club.

·
Head em up, Move em out
2,812 Posts
Booing at the FA cup final over kneeling before kick off. I think if the stadiums were full the booing would be happening at every stadium in the country. Sky sports are so out of touch with everything

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Yeah there will be boos but those boos will most likely be drowned out by others applauding the kneeling just like in the fa cup final. If fans feel the need to boo their own players over this, then the one out of touch are them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hello as an Everton Fan I am perplexed why Everton did not do more to keep Carlo Ancelotti at the club.
I am wondering who the next Everton manager will be?

I hope that Everton get a manager who is at similar level to Carlo Ancelotti.

I think that transfers are a bit like fishing you need the right bait to get the big fish. So if you have unknown manager in terms of international presence and has not won as manager big trophies, then it could be said the big named players might think who is this manager I have never heard of them, what have the done and not join Everton.

Furthermore, Carlo Ancelotti leaving Everton is short-sighted Real Madrid chop and change their manager's regularity so who knows if Carlo will still be manager at the end of next season. What if Real Madrid have a bad season.

Personally I don’t want David Moyes back, I would like a manger who has won big league titles and European trophies. Not someone who is the next big thing, Everton have done it before with Marco Silva, Roberto Martínez (international football is like fantasy football you can pick whoever you like who is from the country you manage, all star 11’s).

Yours

Farhan

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,705 Posts
I hope Christian Eriksen is gonna be okay. This is hands down the scariest thing I've ever seen watching a football game. UEFA says that he's been taken to a hospital and stabilised, so coming from an official source it gives me hope. Fuck this whole shit.

·
Registered
348 Posts

In 2015 Tony Khan once cared about football. He took control of a Premier League club that had been in the Premier League for 13 years and got them relegated in the first year. Must have been a shock to somebody form an American background that if you perform crap and finish in the bottom three you get replaced by a more deserving well run team. That's how competition works though.

Anyways he tried to spend a lot of money on getting his new pet project, Fulham, out of the second divison and failed spectacularly for three years.

When he hit Gold with a very impressive promotion three years later he decided to spend 90 million replacing the entire infrastructure that got them back in the Premier League. In his words he relied on data and numbers to make them a top seven English club. It didn't work. They finished second bottom and went back down. Again competition over money exposing weak minded people.

His biggest failure was replacing the Manager that got them back in to the Premier League Slavisa Jokanovic with a Manager that had previously won the Premier League before in Claudia Rangers after TEN GAMES. Turned out being successful in a competitive league wasn't as simple as TNA's attempt of hiring Hulk to boost ratings for 6 weeks.

The following season he let the former coach become Manager. His name is Scott Parker. With no experience Scott Parker defied odds and got Fulham back in the Premier League. How did Tony Khan repay him? Again he got interested in the project and replaced the entire squad with a new team. Fulham finished third bottom and got relegated again.

Understandably Scott Parker has had enough. He runs a demotivated, dejected squad that know if they win the league and get back in the Premier League a clueless Tony Khan will just replace them with "bigger names on paper" that are not any better and they'll get relegated again. So he's leaving them for a worse team on paper. Which speaks volumes about the direction Fulham are heading in under Tony Khan.

I'm not the type of person that discredits AEW at every opportunity but I truly hope that Tony Khan is a better Booker and financial man for them than he has been for Fulham Football Club because his failings to football fans is fucking hilarious.

581 - 600 of 633 Posts