Leicester v Wolves
Watford v Brighton
Tottenham v Aston Villa

Sun 2019-08-11
Newcastle v Arsenal
Man Utd v Chelsea

#3 ·
Re: Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ens-up-16480382.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Liverpool's Sadio Mane opens up on fleeing home and playing in boots he repaired with wire

The Reds attacker has given a very honest account of his time growing up and ambition to become a footballer

Sadio Mane has given a searingly honest interview about fleeing home to follow his dream of becoming a professional footballer.

The world-class Liverpool attacker spoke about his parents forbidding him to drop out of his studies to play the game before he ran away and turned up to his first trials in boots he repaired himself with wire.

The Senegal captain , who is currently playing in the African Cup of Nations with his compatriots, spoke to France Football about his escape and the time he turned up to trials being "laughed at".

"I prepared everything down to the minute, knowing that I did not have any money at all," Mane said.

"At sunset, I hid in the tall grass, in front of my house, my sports bag with my things so that I wasn’t surprised when leaving.

"And early the following morning, at around 6am, I brushed my teeth and didn’t even take a shower.

"I left without telling anyone, apart from my best friend.

"I walked for a long time to meet up with a friend who loaned me some money so that I could take the bus to Dakar.

"There, I was welcomed by a family who I did not know.

"I immediately took part in training sessions at recognised teams.

"But my parents were looking for me everywhere. They were convinced that my best friend knew where I was.

"He held on, he did not say anything. But my family and his, they put terrible pressure on him, and he eventually gave me up.

"My parents then called me to demand that I return home.

"I did not want to because I was ashamed to come back but I ended up agreeing on the condition that they would let me try my luck (at football) once the school year was over."

Mane then spoke about his first football trials, which "started badly" for him.

"There were 200 or 300 youngsters who were waiting in line for their chance," he added.

"It started badly for me because when I presented myself, I was laughed at. I did not look like a footballer.

"I was wearing pants that looked nothing like football shorts. And my football boots were completely shredded on the sides and had been repaired by me with wire the best I could.

"Those who oversaw the trials would look at me with a bizarre facial expression: 'You really want to become a footballer?'

"I understood them but I did not have a choice. As I was not that bad, they took me.

"That was the beginning of my adventure."
Our Sadio. :crylol

Now he's a Golden Boot winner and Champion of Europe. :)

#303 ·
:klopp2

Brilliant win. Just brilliant. Game was played at 100mph and was very intense. City played well in spells esp in their passing and should have took chances earlier.

But I don't care. Amazing atmosphere again and I'm over the moon with that win.

Seeing Sterling and esp :pep meltdown was also a nice bonus :bosque

Trent saved more than Bravo did :evil

:klopp6

Diving header by :mane too

Great day.

#328 ·
Weird one this. Poch did a really good job with Spurs overall, improving a few of their players and taking them to the, quote unquote, NEXT LEVEL. At the same time, he also underachieved by not winning any trophies, despite having a world class striker, world class in his prime centre back (not Jan lol, love that WF meme though) plus a supporting cast of roughly half a dozen players who were a step below that or close to it on their day. Tactically, he was found wanting when it mattered, particularly in terms of in game changes. He was brilliant, yet underwhelming at the same time. Top coach, maybe not a top manager? Very nuanced.

This is not mentioned anywhere near enough, but the biggest issue that cocked Spurs’ momentum up was selling Walker, plus Rose going through various physical/mental troubles. The one season they looked genuinely elite was when those two were flying forward with rampant attacking desire. After that, not so much (flukey CL final aside). So much of the modern game at the top level is defined by top quality pressing, but it’s also down to having two flying wing backs who can provide genuine width, pace and attacking quality in an era where wingers are seen as old fashioned, while middling opposition teams (this is where someone makes a “huh huh not Norwich then” joke) have mastered the low block. Liverpool, Leicester and City all say hi.

Woodward is insane if he doesn’t sack Ole now and hire Poch. Like, should have been put down at birth insane. Maybe there’s an argument that he should have been anyway. I would like to think that an alternate dimension Jet has travelled back in time and already done so. United DO NOT have a good squad, but make no mistake, going from Ole to Poch is at worst going from severe cerebral palsy to a slight limp. As the saying goes, you’ve got to walk before you can run. This paragraph should see me cancelled from WF in this current day and age. Fire me? I’M ALREADY FIRED!

Also (and this is what I really logged in for, the shitty hot take is just a bonus):

https://mobile.twitter.com/fullback...o/iframe/twitter.min.html#1197136671281754114

The tweet is amusing but the picture of Jose accompanying it :lol Andy owes me at least one smiley after my Euro 2016 efforts. Make it happen!

#70 · (Edited)
:lol Pep Guardiola is a pathetic delusional overrated man-child who wears women's clothing and constantly gets to manage clubs with huge financial advantages over everyone else and gets praised for it. Meanwhile last two seasons I haven't seen him in the Champions League finals. Seen my club there tho. Managed by a real one, Jurgen Klopp. Champion of Europe.

:klopp2

#437 ·
Has nothing to do with Leicester. People need to stop blaming other teams and just realise that this Liverpool team is miles ahead of everyone else. That's in both home and Europe. Officially the world too. 18 games played, 17 won, 1 drawn. Their 2019 record on a whole is something ridiculous as well. Lost one Prem game (City at the Etihad), lost one FA Cup game (2nd string), lost one League Cup game (youth team), and lost two CL games which meant squat as they won the second leg (Barca) and topped the group (Napoli).

You can hate them as much as you like. I sure do. But you can't deny them. Nor can you blame teams for not beating them as they're just not as good as them.

#438 ·
Has nothing to do with Leicester. People need to stop blaming other teams and just realise that this Liverpool team is miles ahead of everyone else. That's in both home and Europe. Officially the world too. 18 games played, 17 won, 1 drawn. Their 2019 record on a whole is something ridiculous as well. Lost one Prem game (City at the Etihad), lost one FA Cup game (2nd string), lost one League Cup game (youth team), and lost two CL games which meant squat as they won the second leg (Barca) and topped the group (Napoli).

You can hate them as much as you like. I sure do. But you can't deny them. Nor can you blame teams for not beating them as they're just not as good as them.
MOTD were basically saying how bad Leicester were and didn't cement how spot on we were at everything last night. No doubt Leicester were poor but we controlled the whole game and even without the penalty, we could have scored 7 or 8.

It was a pretty perfect performance by is barring better finishing early on.

#77 ·
:mane hasn't missed a beat since last season, esp the last couple of months where he scored some crucial goals that helped him top the scoring charts. Being on international duty hasn't seemed to alter his form either and he's picked up from where he's left off. Has great fitness levels too.

Just gotta hope he can stay fit during crucial times of the season as I'd say he's our key player.

#84 · (Edited)
Hello as an Everton Fan am hope the season ends after Friday's nights game as when Everton beat Aston Villa away when they will be top of the table.

Their rightful place above all the other team and including that team in RED formed after a breakaway dispute between the owner Anfield and the Everton Club in 1982 .

Then when Arsenal win on Saturday Everton will still be above that Red Team.

Furthermore I hope that being top of the league will make the team gain momentum and stay at the top or latest top 4 or at worst top 6 .

Yours

Farhan

#107 · (Edited)
:salah ooooooohhhh that was nice

Pepe looked to be a threat in the first half but that was p.quickly nullified and although Arsenal had a couple of opportunities, we always looked too dangerous in attack. We played some super stuff at times with our quick passes and Salah's goal was just sublime.

Still disappointed to concede one, tho.

#116 ·
Not even mad. This is our level now.

At least James looks legit. Much better on the left. He'll not maintain that goal-scoring but showing much better stuff in the final third than I expected. The signings look our best players - Unsurprising given what this team was doing in May.

We went into this season relying on Rashford stepping up and if anything he's regressing. Terrible at everything and doesn't even play to his strengths. At least we didn't get more free kicks for him to waste. Clearly a guy who thinks he's already made. Him and goofball buddy Lingard don't belong at United, terrible characters.

No creativity. No goalscorers. Does not for a good season make. Lukaku got a ton of shit and rightly so but if he's playing he probably get two or three goals. We're desperately short.

#118 · (Edited)
Easy win away to Burnley, didn't think I'd be saying that earlier since they're a tricky opponent for us generally.

Back line and Fabinho were all superb. Firmino and Mane clinical. Salah was extremely selfish today and it was disheartening to see. He's so good at making something out of nothing but he needs to pick his head up and stop trying to do it all himself. I think he puts way too much pressure on himself. Could've been 4-0 if he had just passed to a wide open Sadio. No wonder he was fuming. And the commentators trying to paint Sadio as some kind of problem child can fuck right off. He was justified in being upset and is one of the nicest and team-oriented guys there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.