Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that smarks like to suckle from the diseased milk of Ric Flair's sagging tits, but surely you can admit this.

Ric Flair has never changed his character. Ric Flair in 2012 is the same Flair as 30 years ago.
Heel Flair is the exact same character, with the same moves and mannerisms as face Flair.

I know dumbasses will spout the usual garbage about how Flair never had to change and how you dont mess with the classics but this is a cop out.
Fans want change no matter the performer, it always gets stale. When WCW was pusing saggy tits Flair doing the same routine and WWF was pusing new, exiting fresh stuff with Attitude, who did the fans side with?

The TRUTH is that Flair cannot change because he is a one dimensional performer, who has cut the same promo and wrestled the same match through his entire career.

Austin, Rock, Taker, HBK, HHH, even Bret....all these guys made major changes throughout their career. Yet Rapist Flair never did.

Hulk Hogan, who is a bigger Icon than Saggy Teats ever was, changed everything about his character when he became Hollywood. From the look, the promos, the way he wrestled. And it revolutionized the business.

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
I always find it funny when smarks complain that characters or gimmicks are unoriginal when someone like Flair literally stole an entire gimmick for his career. Took Buddy Rodgers name, moves, mannerism, everything. Flair has got to be the most unoriginal character ever.

And people complain about Ryback

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Flair truly must be a wrestling god if even though he had a in your opinion stale gimmick he still got to be the Greatest wrestler of all time.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Talk about exaggeration and oversimplification. One dimensional? Maybe, although without ever changing character there have been many different facets and subsequent stories told. All memorable.

You might not like Flair and that's valid, but he's considered one of the all-time greats with good cause.

·
Likes wrestling....
7,993 Posts
Bossdude, not sure what you are thinking? You are either....

a.) A Hulk Hogan/WWF mark who resents the fact that people consider Flair the GOAT
b.) You grew up watching an older Flair, and his ridiculous antics at age 60
c.) You are trolling

But I do know you are grasping at straws. You should listen to supposed "dumbasses" because their argument makes more sense.

Fans don't always want change, if the original product is what they like.
Coke Classic
Star Wars
What happened when someone went and messed with those products?

When you have something that transcends change you become a real legend.
Dude if you wanted to just start a Hogan is better than Flair argument then go ahead and do that. But calling one of the most dynamic in ring performers, who could do it all...one dimensional? Come on you are better than that.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts

·
Administrator
59,036 Posts
I know that smarks like to suckle from the diseased milk of Ric Flair's sagging tits, but surely you can admit this.

Ric Flair has never changed his character. Ric Flair in 2012 is the same Flair as 30 years ago.
Heel Flair is the exact same character, with the same moves and mannerisms as face Flair.

I know dumbasses will spout the usual garbage about how Flair never had to change and how you dont mess with the classics but this is a cop out.
Fans want change no matter the performer, it always gets stale. When WCW was pusing saggy tits Flair doing the same routine and WWF was pusing new, exiting fresh stuff with Attitude, who did the fans side with?

The TRUTH is that Flair cannot change because he is a one dimensional performer, who has cut the same promo and wrestled the same match through his entire career.

Austin, Rock, Taker, HBK, HHH, even Bret....all these guys made major changes throughout their career. Yet Rapist Flair never did.

Hulk Hogan, who is a bigger Icon than Saggy Teats ever was, changed everything about his character when he became Hollywood. From the look, the promos, the way he wrestled. And it revolutionized the business.
Flair never had to change a thing because he had a timeless gimmick that people continued to love. Hogan on the other hand was forced to turn heel because he was getting booed. Hogan turning him heel saved his career.
I always find it funny when smarks complain that characters or gimmicks are unoriginal when someone like Flair literally stole an entire gimmick for his career. Took Buddy Rodgers name, moves, mannerism, everything. Flair has got to be the most unoriginal character ever.

Took the gimmick and made it so good that people make rap songs about Ric Flair.

Almost everything is copied and recycled in wrestling, btw.

·
Asuka
96,542 Posts
Flair? One of the greatest wrestlers and talkers to walk this Earth?

:ti

Not changing a gimmick doesn't make you one dimensional. Flair could've made anything he wanted work.

No, the answer is this guy

A career that can be summed up in 5 words = drug addict falls off ladder.

·
simply the best
786 Posts
Flair? One of the greatest wrestlers and talkers to walk this Earth?

:ti

Not changing a gimmick doesn't make you one dimensional. Flair could've made anything he wanted work.

No, the answer is this guy

A career that can be summed up in 5 words = drug addict falls off ladder.
:lmao this is the truth

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts

Nothing is original any more, but those who pull whatever they're doing off well get credited with it. That's why JBL gets praised as one of the most excellent heels of all time and Alberto Del Rio gets called a poor Ted Sr ripoff. He's ripping him off no more than JBL ripped him off, but he gets hate because he doesn't do it nearly as well.

·
Wrestling Forum's Ace Attorney
4,126 Posts
Flair didn't ever need to change his Nature Boy character. The man if one of the greatest ever and you you start saying he is only called that by smarks. Undertaker, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels have called Flair one of the Greatest of All Time, and I don't believe they are smarks. You're just a troll trying to get some attention lol.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Why would he have change it up if it kept working?
It worked so well...this is why WCW/NWA was always a second rate company, until they brought Hogan in

Fact is, guys more popular than Flair still changed things from time to time. Not because they had to. When Austin changed his character in 2001 was it because he had to? Because fans werent accepting him? No, it was because he himself thought his character was stale.

This is the mark of TRUE greatness, and I don't just mean in wrestling. To always try and change, evolve, do something better. Even if you don't have to, you do it because you WANT to.
Not to rest on your laurels once you've found a formula that works.

I suppose to use an analogy, Flair would be like the "Call of Duty" or "Madden" of wrestling. Just recycling the same game every year, after all why change if people buy it? (except Flair was never even that popular)

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Flair is the G.O.A.T.

/thread.

·
Premium Member
14,806 Posts
It worked so well...this is why WCW/NWA was always a second rate company, until they brought Hogan in

Fact is, guys more popular than Flair still changed things from time to time. Not because they had to. When Austin changed his character in 2001 was it because he had to? Because fans werent accepting him? No, it was because he himself thought his character was stale.

This is the mark of TRUE greatness, and I don't just mean in wrestling. To always try and change, evolve, do something better. Even if you don't have to, you do it because you WANT to.
Not to rest on your laurels once you've found a formula that works.

I suppose to use an analogy, Flair would be like the "Call of Duty" or "Madden" of wrestling. Just recycling the same game every year, after all why change if people buy it? (except Flair was never even that popular)

Dude, do some research before you make more idiotic posts like this.

NWA only became second rate because WWE hit PPV before they did. However in the 80s, it was widely recognized that NWA had some of the better wresting in the country and most of that credit goes to Flair, who was wrestling marathon matches while the WWE guys worked for 10-15 minutes, with a good portion of that being devoted to rest holds.

And don't compare Flair's character to other characters. Austin may have wanted to change his character but it too was widely recognized as a bad move on Austin's part. And even then, the only change was turning into a comedy guy. He maintained the same attitude he had for the past 5 years. Hogan's change came because it had to. Hulkamania had lost steam.

Evolving doesn't mark greatness. A guy like Bret Hart had the same character for nearly his entire career, only slightly changing as a heel. People like you focus too much on character, instead of accomplishments in the ring. Early NWA/WCW was never really character based, so Flair didn't have to change. Fans didn't care about a guys gimmick, unlike some WWF guys, who needed a gimmick or change in gimmick to remain relevant.

Let's also remember that Piper has maintained the same gimmick for nearly 30 years. And I dare you to say he's one dimensional. Guys like him and Flair could deliver in the ring, on the mic and were 2 big reasons for the success of the NWA in the early 80s (remember, the first Starrcade was built partly on those 2 guys).

You're nothing more than a kid who never watched early WCW/NWA, a troll or completely oblivious to wrestling before the AE (especially if you compare a character, in terms of evolving, from the 80s to the 2000s).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts