Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think it's more to do with wrestlers not wanting WWE to copyright their original names so that they can go back to the independents (or AEW) and go back to their original names if it doesn't work out.
The name changes of pretty well known wrestlers is a little annoying (because we’re used to the old names) but when you look at it this way it totally makes sense.

Im not sure if im biased to the old names but the new names like Isaiah Scott for Strickland, Cameron Grimes for Lee and Joaquin Wilde for DJZ sound alot worse. Almost like jobber names

·
HEADBANGA
22,187 Posts
Looks like Stricklands name has been changed to Isaiah Scott.
He had a cool name and they give him the most generic name imaginable. I cant stand this company. How the fuck you gonna draw any money as Isaiah Scott? fpalm

The only way I can see this being redeemable is if they give him some Baller gimmick or something.

Btw, Imagine the Dash And Joaquin getting together to form a tag team them being called Wilde and Wilder!!!!!:lmao

·
Registered
23,438 Posts
Isiah Scott?

Not a bad name, but freaking Shane Strickland. That's an awesome name there.

Isiah as a first name isn't bad, but Scott just seems generic. I wonder if the name has personal connection to Strickland though.

·
Registered
23,438 Posts
Per his Twitter account, Garza Jr. is now "Angel Garza." Was expecting him to go Carrillo as well and tag with Humberto. Maybe Humberto goes back to Garza.

https://twitter.com/AngelGarzaWwe
Angel Garza, that's actually a cool name IMO.

Jordan Myles isn't bad. But Jonah Rock going to Bronson Reed? Lol, that's rough.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Bronson for whatever reason is a popular name for NXT wrestlers - James Bronson, Bronson Matthews and now Bronson Reed.

Probably the Tom Hardy movie of that name as they're all too young for Charles Bronson to be the reference. I'm the in-between age where Bronson Pinchot (Balki Bartokomous from 80's sitcom Perfect Stangers) is my reference point to that name.

·
Registered
16,455 Posts
Eric Bugenhagen was a great name. He's dead on arrival with his new shit name. This company is so garbage.
To be fair he would have been shortened by the time he got to the main roster anyway... Think NxT just speeding up the process to save time.

But I do agree I preferred his old name, but what can you do? :shrug

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
There's part of me thinking that WWE is going to start changing people's names again when they get signed. I can't imagine that they want to promote Toni Storm's name for 4 years just to have her leave and go to AEW when her contracts up.
I know people don't like it but it makes business sense to build a brand that a wrestler can't take with them when they leave.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts