Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Angry at refs
2,988 Posts
Not disputing that. They may have put him there due to that reason. It'll be interesting to know which videos were shown for each wrestler in that top five.

Sent from my Infinix X510 using Tapatalk
That's the thing, though. It's not "Who will be megastars!" it's who's currently a megastar. It's a bad list.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I'm disappointed that they don't find Asuka to be a megastar.
Well, a couple of the failures of the article are that..
(1) It doesn't give the full list of the wrestlers the focus group saw. We don't know if they even saw a clip of her.
(2) It doesn't give the full list of results either. Just the top few and smattering of other results.

In short, the study seems to be that some guy showed a few people film clips of an unknown number of wrestlers and then told us some of what the people thought.

I'm not saying, Dream, Roman, Becky, Braun don't come across as "larger than life" at all. I am saying the author basically tells us what he wants and leaves us to guess at the rest.. In most settings that would be considered a flawed study..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For me no one was deemed a "megastar" based on this. No one was even rated higher than 4.3 . If 36 people vote 1 out of 5 for each wrestler, 4.5 for me is the minimum to be classified as such. You can't sit there and tell me someone that was rated 3.9/5 by 36 people was them thinking they were a "megastar". 36 people is not large enough sample size, maybe if it was 100 people I could see the argument.

A shitty job not including every wrestler that was rated, makes the writer come off biased especially with how he starts the article showing how Adam Cole rated badly and nonchalantly compared Bianca Belair to Bayley who was rated a meh 2.8 and then lists other names but gives no numbers. Then he goes on to make it seems those were the top 5 but never states as such and says Braun's 3.5 was the average rating but clearly more than 11 wrestlers were rated so how could be the average if there isn't 5 people above him and 5 people below him.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,351 Posts
Lol, smarks try to reject Roman hardly(shoving down who's throat) since 2015 but it's still about how to sell your products to non-wrestling fans and Roman have huge market there. See Roman's clip view on YouTube and tell me that isn't awesome number.
Then why are the ratings worse than ever with Roman and Becky on top?

This is a cute study, but it doesn't mean anything. It's only relative

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Dream is amazing in nxt and the only way he will be a megastar is if Vince does not ruin him. With dream wwe is sitting on a gold mine unfortunately the company is not competent enough.
He’s the brightest young star in the professional wrestling right now and its bot even close. If i was the WWE i would already be building the company around Dream or at least building the groundwork or plan for it. He’s a guy that can either be a megastar or an afterthought... i dont think theres much in between for him. They cant afford to bullshit and just throw him on the main roster. They need at least a year long plan with memorable feuds and other key moments to establish him.

Im not saying they need to make him a mainevent guy immediately or give him a Del Rio/Lesnar mega push but they need to let the crowd know hes a big deal. The way the Rock (not Rocky Maivia) was built should be something of an inspiration. Not exactly mainevent but he was was heavily featured and was given a really good moments prior to his mainevent push like his IC title feud with Stone Cold

·
\m/
24,030 Posts
I don't think we can lay the blame of the low ratings solely on those who are on top at this point. WWE has had consistently decreasing TV ratings for nearly two decades now. Cena, Punk, Bryan, Lesnar, Orton, Batista, etc all those stars had been on top yet the decline in ratings continued as it does to this day.

I think the main reason is the drop in quality of WWE programing. The stories and booking is just not very good and they don't really think long term but rather focus on creating individual "moments" that just don't have any lasting impact precisely due to their poor handling of the shows.

You could bring Austin and The Rock and even them would fail to fix the ratings as they would be saddled by the host of poor creative decisions the company has been making for many years now.

It takes more than just having a charismatic superstar like Reigns and Becky on top to win back the viewers specially in this era where wrestling is not as big part of the culture as it once was.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
WWE haven't really been booking long term for 20+ years. Kane beat Austin on ppv to spike rating on TV. Austin got hot and they had him mainevent every show for 2 years. They ran taker and Kane into ground by late 98, had no plan for greater power storyline and put belt on Big Show when Austin got injured. What was endgame regarding angle as champion in 2000, at the end he gained little to nothing, didn't even have opponent for Wrestlemania 17 a week out.

I think problem is over saturation of product. It started with 2 hour raws then SD adds another two hours weekly. That's fine when business is on fire but once it cools down there isn't same reason to watch all that tv. It's not that surprising that we have seen a gradual erosion of live viewership since the introduction of 3rd hour of raw. People don't have time to keep up with that much tv weekly especially if all the main clips are on YouTube

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Those top 5 don't surprise me. Becky is a bit out off place, but I could see her poor imitation of Conor McGregor getting some traction. And no shit no one cares about people like Ricochet and Adam Cole, Ricochet has no charisma and sounds like he's being held at gun point after every promo, and Adam Cole looks like he spend a month at a concentration camp, looks like a high school freshman could kick the shit out of him.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's the thing, though. It's not "Who will be megastars!" it's who's currently a megastar. It's a bad list.
I think if velveteen is excluded from this list, then it's not such a bad list even though I hate Roman Reigns.

Sent from my Infinix X510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Dream absolutely carries himself different than the other guys. But he's easily a guy I could see coming up and them giving him a fashion files gimmick. He's going to be the biggest hit or miss guy for them probably ever for the NXT call ups

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
“First time.”

Are they actually going to stick around and watch? They don’t seem to be building a new audience lately.

All this really means is that they’re responding to and accepting who WWE is presenting as top stars without looking too deeply into it. Give them a few weeks and they’ll be bored just like longtime viewers.

EDIT: Also, this is HIGHLY contingent on what was shown to them in the highlight reel. If you show someone Becky Lynch’s Ronda Rhousey beatdown from last year, yeah, Becky’s going to come off like a star. If you show her just being regular ol’ Becky after they played out The Man gimmick and made it banal, maybe not so much?

If you show Reigns’ cancer speech juxtaposed with him coming back and kicking ass, ignoring all of the boring stuff, yeah, he’s a star, but when he’s actually Roman Reigns out there every week, again, maybe not so much?

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,351 Posts
I don't think we can lay the blame of the low ratings solely on those who are on top at this point. WWE has had consistently decreasing TV ratings for nearly two decades now. Cena, Punk, Bryan, Lesnar, Orton, Batista, etc all those stars had been on top yet the decline in ratings continued as it does to this day.

I think the main reason is the drop in quality of WWE programing. The stories and booking is just not very good and they don't really think long term but rather focus on creating individual "moments" that just don't have any lasting impact precisely due to their poor handling of the shows.

You could bring Austin and The Rock and even them would fail to fix the ratings as they would be saddled by the host of poor creative decisions the company has been making for many years now.

It takes more than just having a charismatic superstar like Reigns and Becky on top to win back the viewers specially in this era where wrestling is not as big part of the culture as it once was.

Which is exactly my point. People who are using this "study" to justify who to push are failing to realize that it's the writing that matters, not the individual talent who viewers think look cool or hot

·
\m/
24,030 Posts
Which is exactly my point. People who are using this "study" to justify who to push are failing to realize that it's the writing that matters, not the individual talent who viewers think look cool or hot
It is actually both that matter. You can have someone who is not charismatic/talented and put them in the best written storyline and it won't work the same way as it would if a talented and charismatic superstar was in their place.

It is very much just like a great movie script needing a good actor to bring it to it's full potential. The show's writing needs to be good but it also needs talented and charismatic superstars that can benefit from and elevate said writing and the superstars need good writing that serves as a vehicle to showcase their talent. They both go hand in hand.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
If I can be perfectly honest, no one seems to feel like they're beyond their wrestling skills.

The closest we had was Enzo, but 1 minute in the ring, his charisma vacuumed due to his skill.

I don't see Megastars at all. Maybe Roman cause of the look, but there's no one who stands out to me. I'm new to Indy wrestling, but that's the vibe I get with Indies as well. Either they're wrestling gods, or puppets to the gimmick that somehow went over.

The people who tell me in this forum that this guy or girl has "it," I 100% take with a grain of salt. Cause I do take the time to watch their best moments, and it never hit me like a brick where my inner thoughts go "Oh fuck, this guy is it."

I don't see it with anyone. People say Omega, and don't get me wrong, I love Kenny, but I don't think he's a once-in-a-generation talent.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

This is a cute study, but it doesn't mean anything. It's only relative
It's personal viewers not the whole tv product, and Roman barely on top program(World title) since he return from his treatment and I'm not gonna say put him back into title program will change it. If we're talking about the ratings for tv then it would be different story since the business will never same after Attitude Era over. Most viewers who watched the wrestling in old day has been move to other things like UFC or stop watch it.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts