Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
re: First Impression of the "Mystery Tag-Team"/The Dark Order

They don't seem to have a video game gimmick. They have a spooky gimmick. I think you can consider all the stuff they did as "Super Smash Bros" to be non-canon. They are The Dark Order and their story started at Double or Nothing.
What is spooky about Stu Grayson dressed up like Vega?

·
Registered
906 Posts

Their look might take some getting used to but I'm definitely intrigued. Evil Uno cut a nice promo and I'm interested to see where they go with things.

·
Registered
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
They don't seem to have a video game gimmick. They have a spooky gimmick. I think you can consider all the stuff they did as "Super Smash Bros" to be non-canon. They are The Dark Order and their story started at Double or Nothing.
Well I have no idea who they were so my 1st exposure was at DON , and as a casual they caught my interest

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,351 Posts

My observations:

1. Evil Uno needs to cut back on the word salad. Trying to sound Shakespearian like that doesn't work for bad guys in 2019. Whether you're writing a book, a movie, a TV show, audiences are just over the bad guy with a thesaurus.

2. They're genuinely creepy, that's good.

3. They look different and have a unique presentation that I have not seen before anywhere else, that's good.

4. They still need to come across a little less seriously. You can't dress that ridiculously and then expect the crowd to take you at 100% face value as scary creeps. I'd think if anyone would understand this it'd be Cody and the Bucks. Either they have to tone down their look or inject some sort of irony into the promos

Either way, I'm intrigued and excited. I got some OG Wyatt Fam vibes from like 6 years ago

Who cares what type of mask he's wearing? The black and white, the leather, the silence and the throne of men feeling over the creepy fat man's body gets the creepy vibe across. If you recognize the Vega mask, good for you, it doesn't take away from the context and in any case, all masks are creepy. If he'd have been wearing a Mickie Mouse mask, it'd have been creepy. You need to appreciate the full context rather than picking at little things that 5% of people even took the time to research.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

The Dark Order. Just like that, having to get a new name and it works. Good show.

Loved the vignette. Seeing these two working with clear noticeable higher production with a major promotion is so exciting.

·
Registered
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yep. I'm excited. Maybe one of their followers gets unmasked...could be some good TV.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
They looked fucking horrible. It came off rinky-dink and was easily my least favorite part of the main show. It was pretty funny no one knew who they were.
I genuinely had no idea who they were. I don't think commentary helped very much with this either. Excalibur seemed to give the impression he knew who they were but then didn't tell anyone who they were. Bit odd

EDIT - Just watched that Dark Order video that was posted. I'm intrigued

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,478 Posts
I genuinely had no idea who they were. I don't think commentary helped very much with this either. Excalibur seemed to give the impression he knew who they were but then didn't tell anyone who they were. Bit odd

EDIT - Just watched that Dark Order video that was posted. I'm intrigued
He couldn't say who they were because Nintendo probably would have done something about it.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
He couldn't say who they were because Nintendo probably would have done something about it.
I can understand not announcing them as the Super Smash Brothers on TV but it's weird that they debuted and the commentator wouldn't say who they were even though the TV audience knew that he knew who they were.

Why not just announce them as The Dark Order at the time?

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,478 Posts
I can understand not announcing them as the Super Smash Brothers on TV but it's weird that they debuted and the commentator wouldn't say who they were even though the TV audience knew that he knew who they were.

Why not just announce them as The Dark Order at the time?
Because that probably wasn't their name until about 5 minutes before the vignette was made.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I dig the human throne visual. It's great. And I like the idea that the creepers could be behind the lights going off with Evil Uno's claps rather than giving him special powers.

Also debuting new members down the line and having it a DoD-esque faction is something I could get behind. They could have unmasking ceremonies where a Creeper "graduates" into a full fledged member of the Order. This is where you can flesh out and expand the roster by repackaging some of the CBR crud. Ace Romero under a mask could be a midcard monster type. Repackage Sunny Daze and put him with The Dark Order. Marko Stunt under a mask would be a decent visual lackey for Evil Uno as well given how small he is - to really up the freak factor you could have him on a chain like a pet - make him a human attack dog.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts