Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get crucified by some of you, let me give a disclaimer. I don't actually want the guy behind Marella to get fired. Obviously, a job is a job. Second, I understand that he's actually a pretty talented wrestler, and a person who is overall quite charismatic and over with the fans (Elimination Chamber as a very good example). I also understand that there are guys way less talented than him (Khali, Otunga), that are also featured on the roster, so don't think that I'm only singling this guy out. There is a lot wrong with the WWE.

But the ROOT of some of the most annoying, uninteresting, and just dull crap that the WWE throws out week by week comes from Santino. He isn't the sole cause of any of this stuff (and again, creative/Vince has control, so don't think I'm just blaming the guy doing his job), but I'll be damned if he isn't the purveyor of 'shit' day in and day out.

To elaborate. The WWE has some really, really great talent, and among their shortcomings are misusing the talent, giving (quite frankly) retarded gimmicks to certain wrestlers, and not completing, or even having, great story lines to offer.

All of that is bad enough, but to add to it, we have this stupid COMEDY segment thrown in at every pay per view, and every RAW. This comedy can go anywhere from Santino's stupid entrance, to his ridiculous 'gimmick' matches strewn around pay per views, to backstage segments, to you name it. These segments then spread out, incorporating other individuals (Brodus Clay, Legends, etc.). The WWE hasn't been funny for a long, long time, and speaking as one of the biggest fans of Foley, Santino isn't riding the line between 'badass' and 'comedy wrestler'. He's just garbage (the character).

Yes, the guy can wrestle, but since he has no control over that, he's left to the same boring moveset. He's left to the same stupid segments that are sandwiched between legitimate and, at times, interesting segments. The INCONSISTENCY is the root of all of the WWE's problems, and by golly, that inconsistency thrives on a great match being followed up by a fucking tuxedo match with Santino and Ricardo (No Way Out). Cena is also a purveyor of 'shit cherries' on the top of every decent show, but I'm just focusing in on Santino and the love of comedy.

If Vince hates wrestling being looked at as some sort of carnival gimmick, then he needs to stop putting this stupid filler garbage in between everything. The second that the WWE gets more consistent, the better it'll be in the long run. Segments will play into each other, and strengthen each other, and the general idea will be 'make everything good'. I swear, sometimes it feels like they're being forced at gunpoint to offer a Santino match/segment every fucking RAW/Pay Per View. They NEVER serve any purpose, they are NEVER funny, and they are a fucking DRAG to have, especially when the event in question is going pretty darn well. This stupid comedy thing only adds to the obnoxiousness of the announcers (Lawler, for example), an inability to suspend disbelief (What if Punk's shoot followed a 10 minute Santino segment?), and this giant inconsistency that just fucks over everyone watching. RAW shouldn't be '3 good segments, 4 bad segments', it should be a GOOD RAW or a BAD RAW.

Fuck.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Santino leaves.. Ricardo takes his place.. Ricardo leaves, Slater takes his place.. Slater leaves XYZ takes his place.. XYZ leaves ABC takes his place... it goes on and on. I dont blame Santino.. I blame the WW/creative/Vince.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw title.

Nothing you say can justify your opinion.
Well why don't we have an intelligent conversation about it? I made a decently lengthy post. If my position can't be justified, then my argument is probably flawed to hell and high water, in which case you can critique it. Maybe we can both learn something?

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Well why don't we have an intelligent conversation about it? I made a decently lengthy post. If my position can't be justified, then my argument is probably flawed to hell and high water, in which case you can critique it. Maybe we can both learn something?
Well it sounds like you just want an excuse to get rid of Santino. It's not his fault that he's a comedic character. Like zkorejo said, if he leaves, Ricardo will take his place, and if he leaves, someone else will.
The only way to stop it is to stop Vince. That won't happen.

I understand your frustrations though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it sounds like you just want an excuse to get rid of Santino. It's not his fault that he's a comedic character. Like zkorejo said, if he leaves, Ricardo will take his place, and if he leaves, someone else will.
The only way to stop it is to stop Vince. That won't happen.

I understand your frustrations though.
I think we may be on the same page.

As I said before, Santino is an exceptional wrestler and one hell of a charismatic entertainer, but he doesn't get to be much more than a comedy segment character.

So I don't place the blame on him, but the collective importance put on 'comedy', and hence, 'Santino'. I do understand that he's replaceable, and that another cringeworthy comedy character could come in, and essentially, my point is that the focus on the inconsistency and comedy factor is what's bringing the product down. I don't blame Santino, I blame creative. I would want Santino (in his current form) gone, but in reality, I don't want a guy to lose his job. Just airing out my frustrations.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
I think we may be on the same page.

As I said before, Santino is an exceptional wrestler and one hell of a charismatic entertainer, but he doesn't get to be much more than a comedy segment character.

So I don't place the blame on him, but the collective importance put on 'comedy', and hence, 'Santino'. I do understand that he's replaceable, and that another cringeworthy comedy character could come in, and essentially, my point is that the focus on the inconsistency and comedy factor is what's bringing the product down. I don't blame Santino, I blame creative. I would want Santino (in his current form) gone, but in reality, I don't want a guy to lose his job. Just airing out my frustrations.
So your title is exceptionally misleading - you don't want him fired, you want him to have a gimmick change?

Unfortunately, it's too late to change Santino to a serious character again. It's also unwise to attempt it because, even though he is a comedy character, he is an innocent character. If a heel cheats and/or betrays him to get the upper hand, it has a much better effect on the casual fans than going over even someone like Punk. Though it is debatable what would gain more heat, betraying Santino or Punk, it's likely that if you want a low-card heel like McGillicutty or even Slater to get over, betraying and defeating Santino would be much better than betraying and defeating Punk.

Also, if any momentum is lost after basically jobbing to get someone over, it's easier to get that momentum back as a joke character than it is a serious character.

All in all, Santino's fine, he just isn't utilised properly as a comedic character.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
He has no business holding a title. The US Title is even more useless now than it was before.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
his match on raw was awesome, he finanlly defended the title and the crowd was WELL behind him.

OP - stfu.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think Santino should just be allowed to become a serious wrestler. Why fire him and all his talent just because Vince wants to make a mockery out of him. Wouldn't it be very unfair to Santino? Just let this guy wrestle at his best. But then again, we know what happens to talented guy. William Regal might tell you a story, OP.

·
Registered
413 Posts
YES! Get him out or have him act serious

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I hate Santino. Eric Young is showing how a real comedy character should be.
fuck that, EY is completely over rated. cody deaner was a hell of a lot better than him. but tna are obviously dumb, so they got rid of him, and now he is having beard VS beard matches on the indies. their loss..

santino is just fine if they cut the goofy stuff to a minimum, and dont make him look the weak. he can be funny, but he needs to kick ass. it would be better if he is just mocking his oponent. like rock or jericho used to do. the crowd get right behind him when he kicks ass, because he is funny, likable, and SYMPATHETIC. this is something wwe has forgotten how to do with their babyfaces.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Come on. Santino's great.

When he's in the world title picture, then you can start complaining. But he serves the comedy character well; he's naturally a really funny person, which I'll take any day over someone who's not funny reading off and equally unfunny script. Santino could stop doing some of the same stuff over and over, but he definitely gets a good laugh out of me almost every show.

Comedy shouldn't be the FOCUS of a show, but it's an important part of a well-paced show (especially a 2- or 3-hour show). Santino's comedy bits are the only comedy bits I enjoy in WWE. The rest are almost always awful.

Wanting Santino fired miiiiight be a sign that you're taking wrestling too seriously.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Don't see why Santino can't become a "serious" character again. Mark Henry did just fine despite all the Mae Young bullshit that went before...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts