Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember Finlay's injury ravaged 08/09 season? The fighting Irish bastard was on the cusp of greatness, arguably ready to cement himself as pound for pound the best brawler the WWE have seen.

I made a video of his awe inspiring 07/08 season last month (
)
and I am thinking of making a second video of his ill fated 08/09 season, and subsequent come back towards the end of the season, what do you guys think?

Any suggestions on matches I can include which really encapsulate his struggles from that god forsaken season?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
My viewing kinda slipped away in late 2008/2009, so I don't recall his injury, but Finlay was a fucking BEAST. He made his debut as a full time WWE wrestler at 47 YEARS OLD. Has any other wrestler come close to that? He was awesome, more intense and hard-hitting than guys half his age. Shame a lot of his best work was against Benoit, so history kinda ignores it, but he was so damn good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ive always liked Finaly. He always gave me that oldschool vibe that makes you think of Harley Race and other top guys of the 70's.

I first noticed him as Fit Finlay in WCW, and I remember being suprised when he debuted in WWE. Thought he was long retired.

I'm glad he got that Final run tough, and if I'm being honest I don't think his injuries altered history much. He might have been given a main event feud or two, but he was always going to be a midcarder. Especially when you look at the roster at the time, and considering his age.

Oh... and all those who hate Becky Lynch, remember that Finlay was the one who gave her permission to enter the Rumble, and as a result he is directly responsible for her current title run ;) ;) ;)

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,487 Posts
Finlay is the rare wrestler whose in-ring work is so strong and so captivating that not only does he not need to talk, he doesn't need someone else to talk for him. He simply struts that ass out there, kicks the crap out of someone, and leaves. Fantastic worker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts