Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if we have any Irish peeps on here, but tomorrow night at 7:30pm, Setanta ireland will be showing a 1 hour documentary of Finlay's career.

The show also includes Finlay returning to Belfast, with interviews with his father Dave Snr.

yeah didn't really know where to post this.

·
KILL BECKY KILL
3,192 Posts
Yeah, I'd be fascinated to check this out somehow. Finlay has had an interesting life to say the least.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Would love to see Finlay retired by Sheamus, and pass on the Shillelagh to Sheamus. Not sure why the WWE hadn't done this already.:no:

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Definitely want to see this, hopefully it'll get uploaded in the multimedia section soon.

Would love to see Finlay retired by Sheamus, and pass on the Shillelagh to Sheamus. Not sure why the WWE hadn't done this already.:no:
That was the feud everyone (well, those who watched FCW back then) seemed to think would happen when he was finally called up, especially since they both ended up on ECW for a brief period but for some reason they chose not to and now it would be largely pointless due to their relative positions on the roster. To be honest, while I was one of the people who wanted it to happen back them I'm sort of glad it didn't, it was too obvious and would've pigeonholed Sheamus as 'The Irish Guy' rather then allowing him to devlop his own identity.

·
#StayClassyWF
1,084 Posts
That was the feud everyone (well, those who watched FCW back then) seemed to think would happen when he was finally called up, especially since they both ended up on ECW for a brief period but for some reason they chose not to and now it would be largely pointless due to their relative positions on the roster. To be honest, while I was one of the people who wanted it to happen back them I'm sort of glad it didn't, it was too obvious and would've pigeonholed Sheamus as 'The Irish Guy' rather then allowing him to devlop his own identity.
I remember them having a match on Raw a while ago, and their interaction at Survivor Series 2009 during the Team Miz v Team Morrison match. The crowd actually got excited during their staredown before Sheamus eliminated him with the Brogue Kick.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Definitely want to see this, hopefully it'll get uploaded in the multimedia section soon.

I agree, but at the same time I think everyone already sort of identifies Sheamus as that "Irish Guy". Listen to his music, and look at his tights, and his T-shirts. He pretty much is whoring out his heritage. When I think of Finlay I don't think "That Irish Guy" I tend to think "Tough, Bad ass" who kicked the crap out of many along the way. It's a passing of the torch in terms of who is the toughest son of a bitch in the business now, and would have helped make more credibility out of putting Trips on the shelf. Finlay is a well respected future HOF member whom if retired by Sheamus would have meant something special.

·
¡GOLDADO!
2,309 Posts
I agree, but at the same time I think everyone already sort of identifies Sheamus as that "Irish Guy". Listen to his music, and look at his tights, and his T-shirts. He pretty much is whoring out his heritage. When I think of Finlay I don't think "That Irish Guy" I tend to think "Tough, Bad ass" who kicked the crap out of many along the way. It's a passing of the torch in terms of who is the toughest son of a bitch in the business now, and would have helped make more credibility out of putting Trips on the shelf. Finlay is a well respected future HOF member whom if retired by Sheamus would have meant something special.
I think his gimmick isn't "Irish Guy":

Farelly soon developed his wrestling character by drawing on Celtic mythology. Wanting to move away from limiting Irish stereotypes of lucky charms, leprechauns and alcoholism, he instead wanted to portray an Irish warrior. Going to a Gaelscoil, Farelly grew up aware of the four cycles of Irish mythology and, inspired by the artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick, incorporated the sword and axe-wielding imagery into his gimmick. This included the design of his own pendant, the crossos, which combines the Celtic cross with a Celtic War sword to illustrate his character's "indigenous origins with a hybrid of warrior strength matched with a strong ethical centre

1 - 18 of 18 Posts