Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the IC champion would be in some way involved at times with the main eventers, lately that has almost never happend. Tonight Rhodes get involved in the Henry vs Orton match, and JR does a great job of talking up the IC title by mentioning Cody Rhodes not by his name but "Intercontinental Champion". Now it looks like they're setting up a Rhodes vs Orton feud hopefully with the IC title being front and center. I wouldn't mind seeing a Rhodes vs Orton ladder match for the IC title at survivor series, with Orton winning to really put the belt over.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Before the IC champion would be in some way involved at times with the main eventers, lately that has almost never happend. Tonight Rhodes get involved in the Henry vs Orton match, and JR does a great job of talking up the IC title by mentioning Cody Rhodes not by his name but "Intercontinental Champion". Now it looks like they're setting up a Rhodes vs Orton feud hopefully with the IC title being front and center. I wouldn't mind seeing a Rhodes vs Orton ladder match for the IC title at survivor series, with Orton winning to really put the belt over.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a time when the IC Champ was almost automatically #1 Contender to the belt. (Course, back then, nobody was calling themselves the "Undisputed Champ", especially not with 2 Heavyweight Champions.)

Regardless, I will boldface the important part: The second you mention Cody's name, it ceases to "mean something".

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It's crazy how presitigious its become now, considering how meaningless it was no less than 6 months ago.

Cody Rhodes has been an incredible Intercontinental Champion, I think he should hold it for a long time. I'm talking like, at least 8 more months.

·
-
7,495 Posts
It's crazy how presitigious its become now, considering how meaningless it was no less than 6 months ago.

Cody Rhodes has been an incredible Intercontinental Champion, I think he should hold it for a long time. I'm talking like, at least 8 more months.
He should hold it until Wrestlemania 28,

·
Registered
945 Posts
Cody has already done more for that belt than needlessly putting it on a main eventer will, or indeed has ever done.

If Cody heelishly avoids dropping the belt against Orton THEN it gets elevated...... :roll:

He should hold it until Wrestlemania 28,
Already said, elsewhere, but no need to rush Cody into the ME, so anyone else fancy the idea of Cody breaking Honky Tonk Man's record? (I'm suprised this has not happened already... Not like Honky's record was by design.)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Cody has already done more for that belt than needlessly putting it on a main eventer will, or indeed has ever done.

If Cody heelishly avoids dropping the belt against Orton THEN it gets elevated...... :roll:

Already said, elsewhere, but no need to rush Cody into the ME, so anyone else fancy the idea of Cody breaking Honky Tonk Man's record? (I'm suprised this has not happened already... Not like Honky's record was by design.)
I'm all for that. Honky Tonk Man wasn't planned to break the record and what better way to make the IC title prestigious than have Rhodes break the record. It'd be a great feat and an even rarer one in these times.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
It is really nice to see, very refreshing to see the mid-card champion be made a big deal of, along with his title.

I was hoping they would hold off on Orton/Cody until Wrestlemania when they could do a really good job with it at an important time for Rhodes but the IC Champion feuding with the number one face on Smackdown isn't a bad thing for Rhodes or for the title. I'm just wondering if they would put the title on the line in this feud or if it would just be a Rhodes/Orton personal type feud without the title involved. The IC title would see so, so important if they managed to get Orton to compete for it in a feud with Rhodes.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
lol Orton isn't winning Smackdown's #2 belt.

Yes the IC Champion is in a feud with a main eventer, but the title isn't on the line.
Feud could've happen without him being champion.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
With the way WWE handles the midcard titles, after Cody loses the title, it will mean nothing and will soon go back to barely appearing on PPVs with a subpar champion who is given little to no mic time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This is the most the IC title has meant since before it was deactivated in 2002.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Hmm i must be missing something something here.

It's been defended on 2 PPV's in a row. No-one is looking to win the I.C title we've not had anyone do like a Jericho on how they want to win the title. The start is there but Orton could cost Rhodes the title on Smackdown the Rhodes Orton fued wouldn't change.

For something to seem prestigious people have to want to it. They are going in the right direction putting focus on the I.C champion but the I.C title seems very secondary to everything.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
How about Jericho/Mysterio in 2009?
That was a feud which raised the presige of the title but it didn't last long. Cody's entire title run (how long has it beenn?) has rejuvinated the title. Rey/Jericho was a quality feud but the difference here is that the title has evolved a character and gave him a realistic push up the card. That hasn't happened with the title in a good long while.

Cody Rhodes right now, the Intercontinental Champion is credeible enough to feud with the biggest babyface on the brand. That's something ususual.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Now that the title means something, it is a step in the right direction to perhaps the IC Title being of the value it was when was it really valued in the 1990s to elevate superstars into the main event

1 - 20 of 58 Posts