Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
If I wanted WWE, I’d of defended the world champion dressed like a marshmallow man.

I want good promos and thankfully those aren’t exclusive to WWE. (Despite what some of the AEW diehards want)
Consistent 20 minute promos are pretty much exclusively a WWE thing. Yes.

Good promos are awesome. These can be done in 5-6 minutes. Consistent 20 minute promos is EXCLUSIVELY Sports Enter-fucking-tainment.

·
Registered
32,774 Posts

Good promos are awesome. These can be done in 5-6 minutes. Consistent 20 minute promos is EXCLUSIVELY Sports Enter-fucking-tainment.
I don't see one person saying they need to do an opening 20 minute promo or consistent 20 minute promos. People seem to just be acknowledging that having more high quality promos that put over feuds and characters would be of better use than some of the longer heatless matches. Your irrational hatred of WWE has you over focusing on the length and it's place on the card lol

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I don't see one person saying they need to do an opening 20 minute promo or consistent 20 minute promos. People seem to just be acknowledging that having more high quality promos that put over feuds and characters would be of better use than some of the longer heatless matches. Your irrational hatred of WWE has you over focusing on the length and it's place on the card lol
No, we have all said in here that this was good but don’t overdo it with 20 minute promos. Everyone is getting butt hurt by that last part and saying if they did this MORE, it would be a better product.

Fuck 20 minute promos and Jerry Springer-inspired talk shows masquerading as a wrestling promo.

Fuck it, @LifeInCattleClass, let’s anxiously await for the calls to have Vickie Guerrero give birth to a hand.

Reactions: LifeInCattleClass

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
10,678 Posts
I like The Miz a lot but he must be close to the most losses in WWE history.
His statistics says he wins about 1/3rd of all his matches.. That´s about the same as someone like Kevin Owens.
But it doesn´t really matter. He won a lot of titles, and earned a lot of money. as well as made some name for himself outside of wrestling.. And at the end of the day, he gets to go home and bang Maryse.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Like I was saying to someone earlier, wrestling today isn't that much different than the past. Go back and watch episodes of Nitro in 96 there would be very few promos and angles and mostly matches. The only promos and angles you'd see were stuff maybe the Horsemen and NWO were doing. You'd see nothing for guys like Mysterio, Malenko, Brad Armstrong or whoever. I think ever since the attitude era came about people are craving more promos and angles as opposed to wrestling matches comprising most of the show. And that's fair.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Brad Boyd said:
Like I was saying to someone earlier, wrestling today isn't that much different than the past. Go back and watch episodes of Nitro in 96 there would be very few promos and angles and mostly matches.
This is correct. AEW is much like ECW and WCW with promos fleshing out the show rather than driving it.

WCW rarely had uber long promos until Hogan and the nWo. Even then, it was mostly just the nWo who'd go out there and ramble on for a long time. Others often spoke to Gene on the ramp or backstage.

I'm a big fan of AEW opening Dynamites with a hot match like they often do. I also see a place for the MJF/Punk type segments, but they should not dominate like in WWE.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Like everything else in wrestling, it is all about proper balance. One of the reasons I stopped watching WWE was because a show opening promo happens 90% of the time or more. It was overkill and became a crutch for their booking. The reason the AEW promos worked the last couple weeks is because it isn't something that AEW does often, so it felt more special. The talent involved certainly makes a difference as well. As long as the segment adds to the story being told and isn't spammed into the ground, it can be a promo or match. Promos for the sake of promos is just as bad as heatless matches. A hot match to start a show is just as good as a strong promo segment.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
7,357 Posts

Good thing AEW is sports entertainment too then huh? 😉😉😉

Come on Bdon, embrace the inner Jerry Springer, you know you want to.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
This is correct. AEW is much like ECW and WCW with promos fleshing out the show rather than driving it.

WCW rarely had uber long promos until Hogan and the nWo. Even then, it was mostly just the nWo who'd go out there and ramble on for a long time. Others often spoke to Gene on the ramp or backstage.

I'm a big fan of AEW opening Dynamites with a hot match like they often do. I also see a place for the MJF/Punk type segments, but they should not dominate like in WWE.
This is all that I ask, and you explained things perfectly. Sports Entertainment is driven by the promo. I do not want to watch Sports Entertainment.

5,111 Posts
Yeah, if they did that every week i would tap out - i hate a 20min promo to start the show

but in cases like these, with 2 guys that can ‘go’ and who is building a story, its fine

but if next week you have a 20min taz promo And the week thereafter a 20min DMD promo, then I will start forwarding that shit
Same.

I expect I'm not as high on the MJF and Punk opener as you because I sort of wandered off during it. What strikes me as interesting is the praise from those who usually complain about AEW being too 'insider' and mark-ish with all the fourth wall breaking when the dialogue between MJF and Punk was 50% allusions to things said online. They didn't hold back at all on talking about how a wrestler's role within a company depends on aspects that have nothing to do with actual wrestling.

* Something else that struck me was how prominent well-known ex WWE names were in the show. Many here have begged to have AEW formatted around those talents plus MJF and that's how this week's Dynamite felt - the Punk show with special guests from WWE history and a few flippy folks in a clusterfuck match to pop the crowd.

The DMD turkey dinner stuff was 1000% WWE. So was Jericho and his little self-satisfied grin when he got a blockhead or squarehead or whatever it was chant going. Watching this, I felt like I was seeing a WWE product, only one without the scripted promos. There were some great moments in there but the overall show lost my interest several times and that's because I don't like the WWE format and haven't for years.

A lot of posters here are big WWE fans who miss the familiar format. What they want is a WWE product without the parts they dislike, which mostly have to do with the comedy, the broad demographic focus and the pg-rated dialogue. If AEW continues in this direction more of them might start watching and that's fine. Other folks will watch less but there's more wrestling out there that appeals to that, er my, crowd anyway.

·
Registered
16,184 Posts
Same.

I expect I'm not as high on the MJF and Punk opener as you because I sort of wandered off during it. What strikes me as interesting is the praise from those who usually complain about AEW being too 'insider' and mark-ish with all the fourth wall breaking when the dialogue between MJF and Punk was 50% allusions to things said online. They didn't hold back at all on talking about how a wrestler's role within a company depends on aspects that have nothing to do with actual wrestling.

* Something else that struck me was how prominent well-known ex WWE names were in the show. Many here have begged to have AEW formatted around those talents plus MJF and that's how this week's Dynamite felt - the Punk show with special guests from WWE history and a few flippy folks in a clusterfuck match to pop the crowd.

The DMD turkey dinner stuff was 1000% WWE. So was Jericho and his little self-satisfied grin when he got a blockhead or squarehead or whatever it was chant going. Watching this, I felt like I was seeing a WWE product, only one without the scripted promos. There were some great moments in there but the overall show lost my interest several times and that's because I don't like the WWE format and haven't for years.

A lot of posters here are big WWE fans who miss the familiar format. What they want is a WWE product without the parts they dislike, which mostly have to do with the comedy, the broad demographic focus and the pg-rated dialogue. If AEW continues in this direction more of them might start watching and that's fine. Other folks will watch less but there's more wrestling out there that appeals to that, er my, crowd anyway.
the Punk / MJF promo was too long for me too

it doesn’t hold a candle to the Kingston / Punk promo - 5 min max, full of intensity - that is my preferred style

but yeah, this week was wwe-lite

and i’m fine with it every now and again / just not every week

5,111 Posts
the Punk / MJF promo was too long for me too

it doesn’t hold a candle to the Kingston / Punk promo - 5 min max, full of intensity - that is my preferred style

but yeah, this week was wwe-lite

and i’m fine with it every now and again / just not every week
Yes, I also found Kingston and Punk better for the same reasons. It's almost always best to say what needs to be said in the shortest, most impactful way. I'm a proponent of letting the on-air talent plan their own talking segments but this is where a bit of guidance could be useful. MJF and Punk could have accomplished everything they did with a - What was it; a 20-minute talking segment? - in 5 - 10 minutes tops.

Like you, I'm fine with AEW giving different types of fans something to watch. When I first started paying closer attention to AEW, the diversity offered felt slightly directionless but I came to really like that aspect over time. I enjoy multiple styles of wrestling, including some that didn't normally get featured in national or international level rings, so AEW has become a big-box retailer of wrestling for me. If they want to go WWE lite for some segments that's ok. What I wouldn't enjoy is an overall shift toward WWE presentation paired with WWE match length and pacing. Also, building everything around a small handful of wrestlers would be a big NO for me as I like the rotating roster and the variety it brings.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts