Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
It's good that at times they can switch it up like that - they get that they can't do it every week but when they do.

chefs kiss
Exchanges with the same people every week like this is a no....nor do you have to always open the show this way. However, at least 1 or 2 good segments with participants of other top programs is needed. That is how you sell your product.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Yeah, if they did that every week i would tap out - i hate a 20min promo to start the show

but in cases like these, with 2 guys that can ‘go’ and who is building a story, its fine

but if next week you have a 20min taz promo And the week thereafter a 20min DMD promo, then I will start forwarding that shit
The show doesn't have to open that way nor do you need 20 minutes. They do need to get better with getting people interested. Sorry, but outside the AEW faithful few which are only a fraction of the pro-wrestling audience, just announcing that so and so are merely having a match isn't going to garner much more interest.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
There were some things I didn't like about it. For one, it was too much about the WWE. Also, calling MJF a less famous Miz really does him no favors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I enjoyed the promo last night, but they better not start talking every goddamn night just to make the Sports Entertainment fans happy. They’re supposed to be an alternative, not just a different Maury Povich vs Jerry Springer.
Promos aren't a sports entertainment thing, it's been a wrestling thing forever. AEW needs more of this if they're ever going to grow. Random wrestling matches only appeal to a tiny number of people.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I enjoyed the promo last night, but they better not start talking every goddamn night just to make the Sports Entertainment fans happy. They’re supposed to be an alternative, not just a different Maury Povich vs Jerry Springer.
If just watching small guys flip and flop for the sake of doing that is your thing, then so be it. However, Tony Khan is running a business. Doing segments like this the RIGHT WAY (locker room emptying out to say their piece and a GM making a random tag match) like last night is what will grow their business and viewership which is stagnant.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think opening the show with a promo is so WWE.. it's just better that they rarely ever do that. It makes them stand out. It's different this way.

That being said, I absolutely loved last week's opening promo and this week's too.

This is the kind of action/promo balance I think works best for weekly wrestling episodes. But it doesn't necessarily need to be every week because then it becomes a norm and same format as the competition.
As others have chimed in and said: promos are not a WWE thing! It is the over production of many of their promos that make them unbearable at times.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
As others have chimed in and said: promos are not a WWE thing! It is the over production of many of their promos that make them unbearable at times.
Ofcourse they are not exclusively a WWE thing. But in terms of the format of the show, if you want something formatted different than WWE (the most watched wrestling show), that's the direction you go.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I loved it. It was excellent. And why? Well, besides the fact it was Punk and MJF, it wasn't an every week thing so felt quite novel within AEW. If they start shows with 20 minute promos every week, it would become obnoxious. AEW sells a lot of tickets for its shows because they put on a lot of good wrestling.

WCW regularly started shows with a hot match during their golden era and there is no rule that opening with promos = the right way. That's a Attitude Era~ WWE mindset. Do it when a situation calls for it, not as a habit.
WCW at their best started off with the cruiserweights and low midcarders (and Bischoff reading taped RAW results) during the 8 PM hour. During the 9 PM, you got promos and upper midcarders. Nitro was a different show from 8-9. The heavy stuff, which included a lot of interviews and promos, came from 9-11 PM.

·
Registered
16,183 Posts
The show doesn't have to open that way nor do you need 20 minutes. They do need to get better with getting people interested. Sorry, but outside the AEW faithful few which are only a fraction of the pro-wrestling audience, just announcing that so and so are merely having a match isn't going to garner much more interest.
i care little for the interests of anybody except my own

as long as i like what they're doing, they are solid in my book - if they change it drastically to 'garner interest' then they will have to take an approach of 'see how many we lose vs how many we get'

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i care little for the interests of anybody except my own

as long as i like what they're doing, they are solid in my book - if they change it drastically to 'garner interest' then they will have to take an approach of 'see how many we lose vs how many we get'
Hey...nothing wrong with that. But 2 million viewers is better and more profitable than 850k. So, unless Tony Khan wants to just keep "throwing money into the wind" to appease you and others that will watch regardless, then hey.

If he wants to make money and REALLY be the best wrestling company in the world like he said many times over then he has to implement change AND do it right like last night.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any time someone compliments AEW on doing a segment like this, they’re called a WWE/sports entertainment mark — how ignorant. WWE didn’t invent promos or two guys going back and forth on the mic; it’s how it’s been done in wrestling forever. It’s how you got people to come to shows. You talk the fans into the seats. You make them care about wanting to see you wrestle by the way you sell them on an issue.

Ice-cold, 15 minute wrestling matches start most of their shows, seemingly. This was a great way to start the show — and while it doesn’t have to be this way 100% of the time, half the time or so it should be. They don’t do enough of this — just building to a match with a promo. Two weeks of them interacting and the fans are dying to see them wrestle. The anticipation has been built and they haven’t even touched each other and everyone wants to see what happens next.

It’s simple stuff. Just building storylines from week to week. It’s why wrestling was so worth tuning in for back in the day. You had to see where the main storylines were going. Rock, Austin, Taker, Triple H, Angle, Michaels and etc were making you care about things before you ever saw them get physical.

·
Registered
16,183 Posts
Hey...nothing wrong with that. But 2 million viewers is better and more profitable than 850k. So, unless Tony Khan wants to just keep "throwing money into the wind" to appease you and others that will watch regardless, then hey.

If he wants to make money and REALLY be the best wrestling company in the world like he said many times over then he has to implement change AND do it right like last night.
because your way makes money i guess?

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
20 minute promos are ONLY a WWE thing as no one else does or has ever consistently done 20 minute goddamn talking segments.

·
Registered
833 Posts

agreed. And lets be real the hardcore fans will watch either way

21 - 40 of 64 Posts